MaryPhilbins

Norma Shearer and her family

55 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm trying to do a docu-series on Norma. 

Did she have a good relationship with her family, including her grandchildren? 

tumblr_nqmobnK8co1qazanuo1_1280.jpg

Where will this docu-series be presented, if you don't mind me asking?

I've always had a great interest in Irving G Thalberg. I enjoyed very much reading Bob Thomas's laudatory, historical biography.

if you want to find out about his children by Norma Shearer, all you have to do is Google some of their names and follow up on it .

Norma has a well-known reputation in the Golden Age of Hollywood, so it wouldn't be hard to quickly find out more about her personal life, especially her personal life after Thalberg died.

However, after you've done some research on this subject, you may be sorry that you bothered.

19 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've always had a great interest in Irving G Thalberg. I enjoyed very much reading Bob Thomas's laudatory, historical biography.

if you want to find out about his children by Norma Shearer, all you have to do is Google some of their names and follow up on it .

Norma has a well-known reputation in the Golden Age of Hollywood, so it wouldn't be hard to quickly find out more about her personal life, especially her personal life after Thalberg died.

However, after you've done some research on this subject, you may be sorry that you bothered.

I doubt one will find something that would lead to a mommy dearest type book or even a grandmommy dearest!

I do have a Scottish friend that was a grand niece of Norma.   But like the queen she didn't have a lot to say. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Are you referring to the years at the end of her life where she suffered from mental illness?

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I doubt one will find something that would lead to a mommy dearest type book or even a grandmommy dearest!

I do have a Scottish friend that was a grand niece of Norma.   But like the queen she didn't have a lot to say. 

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Are you referring to the years at the end of her life where she suffered from mental illness?

I'd rather the researcher came to her own conclusions after doing a thorough job.

About 5 years ago I did a very cursory online research concerning the Thalberg children's  relationship with their mother--which was anything but positive. I did this for my own personal  interest and not as a serious research or historical project.

Therefore, I think whomever decides to make a profound study of the subject should find primary sources and come to their own conclusions.

But just in terms of black and white or just the facts ma'am, there didn't seem to be much relationship there.

BTW-- It was interesting that the daughter, I think her name was Katherine, was married at one time to Richard Anderson from "The Six Million Dollar Man". The son, Jr., became an academic professional, but I believe both siblings are deceased now.

6 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'd rather the researcher came to her own conclusions after doing a thorough job.

About 5 years ago I did a very cursory online research concerning the Thalberg children's  relationship with their mother--which was anything but positive. I did this for my own personal  interest and not as a serious research or historical project.

Therefore, I think whomever decides to make a profound study of the subject should find primary sources and come to their own conclusions.

But just in terms of black and white or just the facts ma'am, there didn't seem to be much relationship there.

BTW-- It was interesting that the daughter, I think her name was Katherine, was married at one time to Richard Anderson from "The Six Million Dollar Man". The son, Jr., became an academic professional, but I believe both siblings are deceased now.

I have a feeling the OP doesn't know what sort of can of worms this might be. From what I read, the end of Shearer's life was pretty bad. She was in a worse state than the other Norma (Desmond).

• Sad 1

Interesting topic. I think it's great that you want to do a documentary about her. As much as her legacy is profound, not much is done or known about her. I wonder what impressions her children and grandchildren have of her. The only images of who she was when she was older: 

a20dfa00f6d5ef55f4e7780a74ac1757.jpg

44d00bddd61473da84d6847045416a5f.jpg

tumblr_mhrhzhBV2e1rql2z0o1_500.jpg

At the peak of her career, she produced Marie Antoinette (1938) and her producing was never credited, let me know if you want the story. I saved it from my Classic Film Union days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I have a feeling the OP doesn't know what sort of can of worms this might be. From what I read, the end of Shearer's life was pretty bad. She was in a worse state than the other Norma (Desmond).

It seems as though Norma remarried eventually after Thalberg.  Prior to that she had an extremely busy social life-- Hollywood insiders dubbed her "The Merry Widow". Reportedly at one point, she wanted to marry George Raft, but it didn't work out. 

Hollywood's George Raft would be a historical project all on his own. LOL

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

It seems as though Norma remarried eventually after Thalberg.  Prior to that she had an extremely busy social life-- Hollywood insiders dubbed her "The Merry Widow". Reportedly at one point, she wanted to marry George Raft, but it didn't work out. 

I love George Raft. What a unique man he was.

I think Shearer's second husband was a good deal younger.

2 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

GuTz.gif

• Like 1

I know the daughter is dead. (she ran a bookstore) The son may be too. From what I've read, I agree. She was a distant and uninvolved mother. Knowing how vain she was, I doubt she enjoyed being a grandmother either...

Her second husband was a good deal younger. Around a decade, I think. Martin Arrouge?  Unsure of the spelling. I think he was a ski instructor. Too lazy to look it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I know the daughter is dead. (she ran a bookstore) The son may be too. From what I've read, I agree. She was a distant and uninvolved mother. Knowing how vain she was, I doubt she enjoyed being a grandmother either...

Her second husband was a good deal younger. Around a decade, I think. Martin Arrouge?  Unsure of the spelling. I think he was a ski instructor. Too lazy to look it up.

Yes, it was Martin Arrouge. He was a 28-year-old ski instructor she married in 1942.

4 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Yes, it was Martin Arrouge. He was a 28-year-old ski instructor she married in 1942.

When she was 40.

Didn't she also date Mickey Rooney for awhile? Or is that an urban legend?

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

When she was 40.

Who didn't she date?

She was Shelley Winters before there was a Shelley Winters.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I think she and Martin were on some kind of a ski holiday at a resort where they met Janet Leigh's parents, who were working there. They had their daughter's photo on display there and Norma said that she was beautiful and should be screen tested. And the rest is Psycho history.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

When she was 40.

That's apparently true. He was 16. She was 26. She also reportedly was involved with Raft, James Stewart and Howard Hughes.

I just thought about another member of her family, her brother--Douglas Shearer, was head of the Sound Department at MGM for decades.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jakeem said:

That's apparently true. He was 16. She was 26. She also reportedly was involved with Raft, James Stewart and Howard Hughes.

Thanks. Raft was married to the same woman for 47 years. One of those marriages where he couldn't get a divorce?

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I just thought about another member of her family, her brother--Douglas Shearer, was head of the Sound Department at MGM for decades.

Yes, I think he'd been an interesting subject for a book.

Though only cinema geeks would buy it.

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. Raft was married to the same woman for 47 years. One of those marriages where he couldn't get a divorce?

Actress Virginia Pine was his long-time mistress in the 1930s. And despite his marriage, he was seen all over town with her.

12 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Actress Virginia Pine was his long-time mistress in the 1930s. And despite his marriage, he was seen all over town with her.

Yeah, Raft was quite the ladies man I think. 

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

If I remember correctly her son was a philosophy professor who died in 1987. He was only 57 years old. Does anyone know how many grandkids Norma had? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

If I remember correctly her son was a philosophy professor who died in 1987. He was only 57 years old. Does anyone know how many grandkids Norma had? 

This is why I'm a little hesitant on contacting them, I don't know what I'm in store for. She has three granddaughters. 

• Like 1