spence

Who was Kyle Kersten by the way???

15 posts in this topic

Keep seeing him on this site & wandered who Kyle Kersten was & what happened?

5 minutes ago, spence said:

THANX, obviously he likely died, but that was about 5 years ago & his name on these forums still shows upo, each & everytime?

Yes, out of respect, because he was a valued friend of TCM.

I can't believe it's already been five years since he passed away.

Been wondering the same thing.  What gets me is that every time I go to login, if I do not place the pointer precisely in the box, I get the little "billboard" Remembering Kyle Kersten.  No offense, but shouldn't this automatic notification be removed?  It isn't done for anybody else, not even Robert Osborne.

Kyle Kersten was well-respected and liked as an important contributor to these message boards. Many of his threads have been restored, thankfully. It is quite appropriate for him to be honored on the message boards, since he was one of "us." There are other places on the TCM website to honor non-posters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/17/2018 at 11:51 AM, TheCid said:

Been wondering the same thing.  What gets me is that every time I go to login, if I do not place the pointer precisely in the box, I get the little "billboard" Remembering Kyle Kersten.  No offense, but shouldn't this automatic notification be removed?  It isn't done for anybody else, not even Robert Osborne.

Also, the Kyle Kersten 'thingie', make it impossible to use the MONTH HIGHLIGHTS tab!

2 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Also, the Kyle Kersten 'thingie', make it impossible to use the MONTH HIGHLIGHTS tab!

OK, who created the Kyle Kersten "billboard" and made it part of the TCM forums home page?  While he may have been "an important contributor" so have lots of other people.  In fact, there was a thread recently about members who gone "missing."  What about honoring them?

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

OK, who created the Kyle Kersten "billboard" and made it part of the TCM forums home page?  While he may have been "an important contributor" so have lots of other people.  In fact, there was a thread recently about members who gone "missing."  What about honoring them?

My guess would be the site administrators created the billboard, as I don't think anyone else would be able to. As others have mentioned, Kyle wasn't just a frequent board contributor, but was also, on at least one occasion, an on screen presenter with Robert Osborne (see video below). Kyle also seems to be of an era when the message board was more vibrant, with more users actively posting, and a more important part of the TCM "machinery". This was before the current heavy emphasis on other social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, which have rendered the message boards an afterthought. More than one person has mentioned their surprise that the boards are even continued at this point. It may be due to the annual classes, which seem to be the only time of year when a large number of people use this service, instead of just us more frequent, devoted, and ever-dwindling few.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

It appears to have been removed. Someone IS paying attention.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

My guess would be the site administrators created the billboard, as I don't think anyone else would be able to. As others have mentioned, Kyle wasn't just a frequent board contributor, but was also, on at least one occasion, an on screen presenter with Robert Osborne (see video below). Kyle also seems to be of an era when the message board was more vibrant, with more users actively posting, and a more important part of the TCM "machinery". This was before the current heavy emphasis on other social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, which have rendered the message boards an afterthought. More than one person has mentioned their surprise that the boards are even continued at this point. It may be due to the annual classes, which seem to be the only time of year when a large number of people use this service, instead of just us more frequent, devoted, and ever-dwindling few.

Thanks.  As for forums such as this, they are dying out.  I am on two related to automobiles, both operated by the manufacturers.  One no longer has places where you can comment.  If you go to the site, you can select "news" items and videos about upcoming cars, events, etc.  But just to watch them.  I think the commentary portion has pretty much moved to their facebook and similar sites.  They do occasionally send out email surveys.

On the other one, you can still comment, respond and so forth.  They are about 60 registered users, but only about four or five of us are actually active.  By active, I mean we log on once per week to see if anything has happened.  They also present "news" videos and so forth.  Here again, I think the commentary portion has moved to facebook or whatever.  I do not do facebook, twitter or any others.  They do not do surveys, but they have a section for ideas.

On a couple of more automotive related sites that are independent, but by brand.  Some are quite active.  Good places to ask questions and seek out information.  Have a friend who is active on four or five railroad and railroad modeling sites.  He says they are fairly active, but they are independents.

On 6/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, jimmymac71 said:

It appears to have been removed. Someone IS paying attention.

Actually it is still there depending on where you place the arrow.  Even shows up when trying to click on notifications.

It seem to be gone from the home page, but still there on the forum page.

I wuz wondering the same thing; or rather I was being 'forced to wonder'. But I resisted the urge to inquire. Very much a believer in circumnavigating around news stories that do not directly affect me. <_<

Kyle is a kind of spirit animal for these Message Boards, I think. He was what used to be called "a gentleman and a scholar" and was a very calming influence when things could occasionally get rowdy here. I only had a few direct interactions with him, but he gave me the perspective I needed as a newbie to feel a part of the community. He wasn't just a poster; he curated threads highlighting visuals and graphics from the history of film and generated a lot of appreciative discussion. He was a special person deserving of the special honor on the masthead. Personally, it tickles me when I inadvertently activate the message and I'm gratified that TCM continues to honor him this way.

• Like 2