Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

A Very English Scandal

9 posts in this topic

A Very English Scandal is a new BBC mini-series about Jeremy Thorpe, who was leader of the Liberal Party. A closeted gay married to a woman, Thorpe got into trouble. He was accused of hiring a hit man to murder his boyfriend. In the new series, Hugh Grant plays Thorpe; Ben Whishaw plays Norman Scott, the boyfriend. I remember hearing about the story as it unfolded. Sadly, the dog gets shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. The trailer looks great. I don't think I'll be in the UK until late July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDTJc470Co

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-05-17/a-very-english-scandal-how-we-told-the-story-of-disgraced-politician-jeremy-thorpe/

14337742-low_res-a-very-english-scandal-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. Though shouldn't they have called it 'A Veddy English Scandal'..?

• Like 2

I don't remember the scandal, but this looks amazing. I wonder how long it will take to show up on BBC America. 

I'm so glad that Hugh Grant isn't letting his legacy as a cute young thing stop him from aging into roles like this. Loved him in Florence Foster Jenkins. And it seems to be a side of Ben Whishaw I haven't seen before. Not looking forward to the dog getting shot, but I definitely won't miss this one.

• Like 4

I did watch the backstory documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ck9hZGV59Q

We can debate whether Jeremy Thorpe purposely wanted to kill Norman Scott or just scare him, although the poor Great Dane still lost his life, but it just demonstrates the awful lengths politicians go to hide their sex lives. Sort of like the Stormy business today. What makes it all tragic is that it was less necessary to hide everything in middle 1970s than in 1960-61 because homosexuality was no longer illegal in the UK and it was not like he was some "family values" conservative. He was with the liberal party and fought for racial rights in regards to South Africa, among other social liberal causes.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

A Very English Scandal review: funny and confident – like Jeremy Thorpe

“Tell him not to talk. And not to write to my mother describing acts of **** sex under any circumstances whatsoever.”

Ah, the perils of taking a younger lover. So malleable in some ways (“Hop on to all fours, there’s a good chap. That always works best, don’t you think?”) and so thoroughly wayward in others.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/may/20/a-very-english-scandal-review-funny-and-confident-like-jeremy-thorpe

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for Language
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just so you all know, although I didn't spell out the kind of sex referred to in my post with the Guardian review, I did make it clear, using three letters and an asterisk, so as not to spell it out. It seems odd that my edited word had to be totally obliterated by the Mod. 

Here's the quote in question, which is from the Guardian review. It's actually a quote from the show.

“Tell him not to talk. And not to write to my mother describing acts of **** sex under any circumstances whatsoever.”

I guess maybe the Moderator in question is Mary Whitehouse, who campaigned against any mention of gay sex in the theatre, or on the BBC. 

latest?cb=20150801234103

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Swithin said:

Just so you all know, although I didn't spell out the kind of sex referred to in my post with the Guardian review, I did make it clear, using three letters and an asterisk, so as not to spell it out. It seems odd that my edited word had to be totally obliterated by the Mod. 

Here's the quote in question, which is from the Guardian review. It's actually a quote from the show.

I guess maybe the Moderator in question is Mary Whitehouse, who campaigned against any mention of gay sex in the theatre, or on the BBC. 

latest?cb=20150801234103

There's more than one kind of sex??? That's just wrong.

• Thanks 1

Review, second of three episodes:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/05/27/english-scandal-episode-two-review-ben-whishaw-delight-raucous/

• Thanks 1