spence

Due to the network celebrating musicals, what are yiours?

20 posts in this topic

-denotes an *Oscar winner)

 

As I noted on heading, TCM is having a huge all-timer movie musicals special this on or next month?

 

But, please take your time out to vote for your own top ten all-timers?

 

Not certain & would have to look into my ever growing files, I think 1952's "Singin' In The Rain" (M-G-M) was barely voted 1stn & in AFI's 100yrs...100 Movies" "10 Anniversary Edition" from 07 it was voted the 5th all-time best pic   But in it's debut epic televised special (l998) it ranked #10th

 

Not only via AFI, but "Premiere magazine" as well   Plus, the biggie Sight & Sound Survey I'm certain had them in there too.

 

So, I'll first submit my own takes>

 

#1st favorite "The Wizard of Oz" (l939-MGM)-(though "Premiere" didn't think it as an all out musical & fantasy instead?)

2. "Singin' In the Rain" (l952-MGM & very close)

3. "Dumbo" (l94l Disney/RKO)

4. "Fantasia" (l9410-Disney/RKO)

5th fav "Dumbo" (l940-Disney/RKO Radio)-(TRIVIA: *Spielberg's overall fav film!)

6. "Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs" (l938 RKO)

7. *"WEST SIDE STORY" (l96l)

8. "Cabaret" (l972)

9. "All That Jazz" (l979)

& 10th fav of my own  "A Sar is Born" (l954 version froim WB's)

(Runner-Up):

"Meet Me in St. Louis" (l944-MGM)

 

WHATARE SOME OF YOURS &I KNOW MANY WILL INCLKUDE Fred & *Ginger. My fav. of their 10) together is "Top Hat" (l935-RKO Radio)-(mainly because of "Cheek to Cheek")

 

& I don't care I love the recent "La La Land" too  & Im not a musical buff, I rate Golden Age Comedies, Westerns the most &actually went back to *Fosse's 2002 *"Chicago"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite musicals are:

 

1) Singin' in the Rain

2) Meet Me in St. Louis

3) Easter Parade

4) Swing Time

5) On the Town

6) White Christmas

7) Moulin Rouge!

8 ) The Gold Diggers of 1933

9) An American in Paris

10) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

 

I love musicals.  This list doesn't even begin to cover my favorites.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very, very surprised on only one response on this one, WHATS UP DOC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My favorite musicals are:

 

1) Singin' in the Rain

2) Meet Me in St. Louis

3) Easter Parade

4) Swing Time

5) On the Town

6) White Christmas

7) Moulin Rouge!

8 ) The Gold Diggers of 1933

9) An American in Paris

10) Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

 

I love musicals.  This list doesn't even begin to cover my favorites.

THANX TO SPEED RACER!   It seems with each passing year "Rain" is now always voted #! & it's sole shot at the *Oscar was Jean Hagebn0(who shoulda won in a walk(>   Yet to see both *"FCHICAGO" OR "LA LA LAND?"

 

I can't stand Nelson Eddy & J.MacDonald though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, spence said:

THANX TO SPEED RACER!   It seems with each passing year "Rain" is now always voted #! & it's sole shot at the *Oscar was Jean Hagebn0(who shoulda won in a walk(>   Yet to see both *"FCHICAGO" OR "LA LA LAND?"

 

I can't stand Nelson Eddy & J.MacDonald though

I have seen “Chicago” and “La La Land.”  Neither would rank in my top 10. “La La Land” wouldn’t even rank in my top 100. I didn’t think it was very good. 

 

I do not care for Jeanette MacDonald or Nelson Eddy either. I also cannot stand Kathryn Grayson. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the right mood, I can watch just about any musical. Although, I haven't seen too many of the newer animated films.

I can't rank them. I'll just list some I can watch over and over:

  • Victor/Victoria
  • Any Fred and Ginger
  • Any Fred Astaire really
  • Cabaret
  • My Fair Lady
  • Hello Dolly
  • High Society
  • WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
  • For Me and My Gal

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have seen “Chicago” and “La La Land.”  Neither would rank in my top 10. “La La Land” wouldn’t even rank in my top 100. I didn’t think it was very good. 

 

I do not care for Jeanette MacDonald or Nelson Eddy either. I also cannot stand Kathryn Grayson. 

I'm not a musical fan very much, especially Eddy & Jeanette!  But rated both *"CHICAGO" & "LA LA LAND" as exceptional!

 

P.S. did you happen to see my top ten yet & what are yours?  Many insist animated features like *Walt's don't belong, but I do as does the *AMPAS.  It's outrageous that "Song of the South": (l947) is banned, especially when it won for Best Song & also James Baskett got an honorary statue for it? Now, *"GWTW" & even "To Kill a Mockingbird" are getting feedback?

 

*Spielberg's A #1 in any genre is "Pinocchio"-(next time you see end credits of his "Close Encounters..." listen to the score

 

For me though & barely, I rate "Fantasia" above it, calling it the "Kane" of animation,etc & it failed to sell many tickets, probably too weird for most back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

In the right mood, I can watch just about any musical. Although, I haven't seen too many of the newer animated films.

I can't rank them. I'll just list some I can watch over and over:

  • Victor/Victoria
  • Any Fred and Ginger
  • Any Fred Astaire really
  • Cabaret
  • My Fair Lady
  • Hello Dolly
  • High Society
  • WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
  • For Me and My Gal

 

"CABARET"actually swept (8) *Oscars & vs *"The Godfather"-(which  only won 3 including BP)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have seen “Chicago” and “La La Land.”  Neither would rank in my top 10. “La La Land” wouldn’t even rank in my top 100. I didn’t think it was very good. 

 

I do not care for Jeanette MacDonald or Nelson Eddy either. I also cannot stand Kathryn Grayson. 

Me to, in regard to Grayson.   A grand gal I used to know-(now gone at age 85) always cited her & *"The King: Gable" as her favs

 

 

&almost all of my fellow pundits without pause vote for *"BROADWAY MELODY": (MGM) as the worst BP *Oscar in history!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, spence said:

THANX TO SPEED RACER!   It seems with each passing year "Rain" is now always voted #! & it's sole shot at the *Oscar was Jean Hagebn0(who shoulda won in a walk(>   Yet to see both *"FCHICAGO" OR "LA LA LAND?"

 

I can't stand Nelson Eddy & J.MacDonald though

Which"Moulin' Rouge?" the one where *Nicole looked stunning, or the original?  I know you meant the 1952 version, but is it really a musical?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember in 1999';s "Green Mile" where they snuck him out to a theatre & "Cheek to Cheek" was playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OR, an even greater use of that tune was the heartbreaking finale of "Purple Rose of Cairo" (l985)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spence said:

Which"Moulin' Rouge?" the one where *Nicole looked stunning, or the original?  I know you meant the 1952 version, but is it really a musical?

I did not mean the 1952 film. I meant the 2001 musical with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Singin' in the Rain (1952)

2. The Sound of Music (1965)

3. My Fair Lady (1964)

4. Hello, Dolly! (1969) 

5. Chicago (2002) 

6. Annie (1999) 

7. The Music Man (1962)

8. Gypsy (1962) 

9. Sweeney Todd (2007) 

10. Doctor Dolittle (1967) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have eight but I'm posting anyway...

1.) West Side Story (1961)

2.) Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

3.) Mary Poppins (1964)

4.) Gypsy (1962)

5.) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

6.) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

7.) Enchanted (2007)

8.) The Wizard of OZ (1939)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My list would be-

1.) The Threepenny Opera (1931)

2.) Moscow Laughs (1934)

3.) The Merry Widow (1934)

4.) Red Detachment of Women (1960)

5.) Hot Summer (1968)

6.) No Cheating, Darling (1973)

7.) Volga Volga (1938)

8.) The Naughty Marietta (1935)

9.) Adventure in Marienstadt (1954)

10.) Circus (1936)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluebirdsfly said:

I only have eight but I'm posting anyway...

1.) West Side Story (1961)

2.) Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)

3.) Mary Poppins (1964)

4.) Gypsy (1962)

5.) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

6.) The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

7.) Enchanted (2007)

8.) The Wizard of OZ (1939)

Given your screen name, shouldn't OZ rank higher on your list? :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Given your screen name, shouldn't OZ rank higher on your list? :)

I like The Wizard of OZ but I have to admit the song Over The Rainbow is something I like more than the movie, particularly the lyric 'If Happy Little Bluebirds Fly Beyond the Rainbow, Why Oh Why Can't I?' 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bluebirdsfly said:

I like The Wizard of OZ but I have to admit the song Over The Rainbow is something I like more than the movie, particularly the lyric 'If Happy Little Bluebirds Fly Beyond the Rainbow, Why Oh Why Can't I?' 

Thanks for setting the record straight. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In chronological order, mine are:

1)    42nd Street (1933)

2)    The Gay Divorcee (1934)

3)    On the Town (1949)

4)    An American in Paris (1951)

5)    The Band Wagon (1953)

6)    West Side Story (1961)

7)    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)

8)    Saturday Night Fever (1977)

9)    Chicago (2002)

10)  La La Land (2016)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us