spence

Sinatra, Elvis OR Bing???

58 posts in this topic

(PART #1)

vote a little contest & poll on here a few yrs ago, but it was only Elvis VS. *Sinatra, now I want to also add *Bing Crosby

This is a kind of poll/survey & analysis on whom you fellow TCM-ITES like the most of all (3) heavyweights?

PLEASE CAST YOUR RESPECTED VOTE THOUGH?   I think *"The Chairman" won in that other previous topic.

My vote of couragous with my #2 idol *FS!-(only after *"The Great: Spencer Tracy")

Francis (Albert) Sinatra-(19l8-l998) Hgt 5'8 & 1/2. Nationality: Sicilian. In Hoboken, New Jersey.  & amazingly120lbs at one time 1945's short "House  Live In" (RKO), 1953's Maggio in *"From Here to Eternity"-(Columbia & competitive victory), 1970/71 Jean Hersholt award & though he didn';t win it himself his songs won 3 times "Three Coins in the Fountain" 1957's "All the Way" &'59's "High Hopes"  His only other shot at *"The Golden Boy" for acting was his pick ashis best "Man With the Golden Arm" (UA) Career film spam: 1943-84) Over 200 albums & 1,800 songs!   *FS has (3) WOF-STARS-(most an individual gets is (Gene Autry holds that honor) But bombed onhis short-lived tv show late '50's. won 13 GRAMMYS. (TRIVIA: He even pd anonymously for Bela Lugosi's 1956 funeral & gotthe blacklisted Lee J. Cobb back into Vegas  Then, being such a loyal friend of heavyweight boxing champion: Joe Louis, he pd for his open heart surgery but Louis suffered a stroke in the middle of it!   He had a pad in B. Hills area, but always lovedPalm Springs by far the most & passed away at cedars sinaiMay 14th, l998 of a heart attack. WHICH FANS CAN STAY OVER FOR A RIDICULOUS $18.OO PER NIGHT???

He was laid to rest in Palm Srings at Desert Memorial, park near his mother & father Strangely a very humble grave?> They buried him with a pk of cigs, coins in his pocket & a red scarf.

& now my top 4 "Essential *FS films:  *"Some Came Running" (l958-MGM), "*From Here to Eternity" "Manchurian Candidate" (l962 version) & I love 1945's "Anchors Aweigh" Tinsel Townnever looked more gorgeous!!!  (HOJNORABLE MENTION: 1954's powergouse"Suddenly"  He played a genuine villkiajn here & superb at it & was robbewd of  another nom.)

& my top (4) songs of his:

1st place "It Was A Very Good Year" (l965)(lso my fav. number by any artist)

2 "In the Wee Small Hrs of the Morning"-(his highnote post Ava years & at his pinnacle at Capitol Records)-(l958)

3. "Summer Wind"

4. "One More for the Road"-(also mid 1950's, his ultimate music era)

& 5th  "All the Way"-(see above)

(TRIVIA: His own favorite was "My Way")

Alsoi though he didn't write it, but his version of "Angel Eyes" must easily be among the most depressing songs ever!)

Also his worst was "Mama Will Bark" & his "Duets" as a mess, done when he was 80

& of course his legendary "Rat Pack"-(originally called  that with *Bogey, Bacall, Debbie Reynolds, Judy & others, Ithink even *Niven?  At first dubbed "Holmby  Hills Rat pack" because *Bogart lived in that area, then of course they consisted of *FS, Dino, Sammy, Joey Bishop & the tragic Peter Lawford

LOTS MORE, BUT PLEASE CHIME-IN

THIS IS ONLY PART #1

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Bing Crosby

screen.jpg

THANX! Having yet another awful, awful day old friend

Reason I posted that other article-(tried gen first) was there was no room left on other previous postiungs I logged-in  More frustration

1 minute ago, spence said:

THANX! Having yet another awful, awful day old friend

Hey, wait a second...I'm not old. LOL

Life always gets better when you watch classic movies. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Bing Crosby

screen.jpg

As a singer/performer on just his music only?  Because *FS had him beat by a wide mile in both acting & singing  I knida' liked *Bing, more for his "Road Pictures" & "C. Girl"  He never coulda portrayed those roles in "Suddenly" "Man Wiuth Golden arm" & "M. Candidate though-(P.S. can you check & see how many he made?)

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Can I vote for Iggy Pop?

Reckon' if you want to or not?

• Haha 1

Just now, spence said:

As a singer/performer on just his music only?  Because *FS had him beat by a wide mile in both acting & singing  I knida' liked *Bing, more for his "Road Pictures" & "C. Girl"  He never coulda portrayed those roles in "Suddenly" "Man Wiuth Golden arm" & "M. Candidate though-(P.S. can you check & see how many he made?)

I don't think Bing needed to be a serious dramatic actor. What he did in romantic comedies was more than enough.

My favorite Bing Crosby tune:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spence said:

Reckon' if you want to or not?

No, I'll stay within your parameters!

My vote is...Sinatra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think Bing needed to be a serious dramatic actor. What he did in romantic comedies was more than enough.

My favorite Bing Crosby tune:

As you of all know it won the o. song *Oscar  But, in reality *B. Fitzgerald was arguably on screen more then *Bing  Which marked first & last time a performance could be nominated same category

Personally I rate "The Country Girl" as his finest stretch as an actor, as did "LIFE: GOES TO THE MOVIES"

1 hour ago, yanceycravat said:

Crosby then Sinatra then Elvis

I second the motion. 

• Like 2

For Classic Movies, combined acting and singing, Bing Crosby.

For most wedding band covers, Frank Sinatra.

For most carryover to stage performers today and overall fun, Elvis!

That reminds me, I haven't seen 3000 Miles To Graceland (2001) in a while.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233142/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

3000 Miles to Graceland Poster

See what I mean.  The wannabees are easily recognizable and never too serious.

Okay, I take that back.  This guy IS serious.

On 2/21/2018 at 1:20 AM, MilesArcher said:

"Come Blow Your Horn".  Here it is:

"If you want to score: Roar!"

I'm hooked, I'm cooked, I'm caught in the Sinatra Trap!

Have to go with Sinatra. I always thought he was a much better actor than a lot of people gave him credit for.

And he was a great singer as well.

• Like 1

TCM-ITES, please bare with me, lots of ultra negative stuff going on here to put it mildly

*FS was only pt #1

& thanks not only for replying, but submitting the images

Anyone have the now classic B & W bit between *Sinatra & Elvis on stage together?  *Frank loathed Rock N'Roll & did not want to do it,  but his pals talked him into it

Don't think they ever appeared on stage again either

PL$EASE POST THAT FOOTAGE IF YOU CAN?  Think it was on the Ed Sullivan show & Joey Bishop also present-(another celebrity my mother met when a NYC Rockett by the way)

Another well-made film a Western Elvis made post army was 1960's "Flaming Star" (***-0ut of 4)

& can you believe I've never been able to check out *Sinatra's Western "Johnny Concho?"  Who has & is it well-made?

11 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

For Classic Movies, combined acting and singing, Bing Crosby.

For most wedding band covers, Frank Sinatra.

For most carryover to stage performers today and overall fun, Elvis!

That reminds me, I haven't seen 3000 Miles To Graceland (2001) in a while.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0233142/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

3000 Miles to Graceland Poster

See what I mean.  The wannabees are easily recognizable and never too serious.

Okay, I take that back.  This guy IS serious.

"3,000 Miles to Graceland" though was a nasty, violent & sloppy mess (*1/2) ($16m.,)

Anyone recall Kurt Russell as Elvis in late 1970's on tv?

Just now, spence said:

"3,000 Miles to Graceland" though was a nasty, violent & sloppy mess (*1/2) ($16m.,)

Anyone recall Kurt Russell as Elvis in late 1970's on tv?

WOW, HUGE SPLIT ON *BING BEING A BETTER ACTOR & SINGER!  Now Elvis could reach more octaves then both, but *FS was more of a song stylist, like Edith Piaf

In that 1979 tv bio w/Kurt, you can easily see him lip syncing-(misspelled sorry)

What ever became of Season Hubley?

& by now most remember Russell kicked Presley in his shines   1963's mediocre "It Happened at the World's Fair" (**to **1/2) at best

Spence, is this a Marry, Shag or Kill question?

Well, I would kill Bing for sure, but can't decide on the other two sadly.