Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

HELP!

I am seeking a copy of Hollywood Revue of 1929. I know that TCM shows it--but very, very rarely. If anyone can make me a copy that I can buy from them (or we can trade movies), please contact me at matthew.sherwin@yahoo.com. Thank you, Matt Sherwin

matthew.sherwin@yahoo.com

I cannot thank you enough for being in my corner! YES, they should do a "roaring 20s" month. I will take your advice and ask for it to be shown as well. Thanks to you and the other person who also was kind enough to reply to my inital post in this thread. Take care, Matt Sherwin

What I find most interesting about the film is how the comedy talent probably comes off best. Laurel and Hardy's routine is a masterful piece of slapstick, Keaton performs some incredibly graceful physical comedy, and Jack Benny is...well, Jack Benny, which is enough to insure a hilarious performance.

Marion Davies' "Tommy Atkins on Parade" number is a lot of fun, as is the segment with Jack Benny and Bessie Love, which features some very impressive visual effects for 1929. Joan Crawford, unfortunately, isn't too well-served by her Charleston number. Gus Edwards sings "Lon Chaney's Gonna Get You if You Don't Watch Out", which is a fun pop culture homage to the "Man of 1000 Faces" (who doesn't actually appear in the film himself). We also get to see Cliff Edwards doing a neat, jazzy version of "Singin' in the Rain".

I think my favorite part of the film is the Technicolor "Singin' in the Rain" finale, which is filled with jubilant fun.

I love 20's stuff. I'm ALL for that. Early talkies....fun stuff. Just watched "Singing in the Rain" DVD last night, with all the extras. Great stuff.

Another interesting part of this film is when John Gilbert and Norma Shearer do the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet. They then do a kind of hip slang version if I'm remembering correctly.

There has been much discussion about John Gilbert's fall from grace and whether audiences did not care for his voice. I remember when viewing the film that when he opens his mouth I think I cringed a little. I can see where the audiences of the time may have been put off by this because the voice did not match what they may have imagined it to sound like.

In the old Turner Documentary *When the Lion Roars* this particular scene is used when discussing Gilbert's decline.

I also like how near the end of the film Gilbert kind of teases Norma a little. It's something about a pet name or something and he asks her is that what Irving calls you. She just kind of blows it off but they both look to be having fun. It just seemed totally off the wall and unrehearsed. I always liked that part.

I love the idea of TCM having a "Roaring Twenties" month. It would be a special treat to show the early musicals; although many are considered lost there are still many available and waiting to be seen by a new generation.

TCM: please consider this idea. I will add my two cents worth in the "suggest a movie" section.

Message was edited by: smokey15

Wow, what an awesome idea!!!!! I would totally love a "Roaring Twenties" month!!! Groovy!! Yes!!!! *does a happy dance just thinking of it!*

Hollywood Revue of 1929.

MGM's first talkie showcase for its stars. Directed by Charles Reisner, 82 minutes.

Joan Crawford dances and sings "Gotta Feelin' for You" and appears in the closing "Singin' in the Rain" number with the rest of the all-star cast.

Says Joan in CWJC: ...one of those Let's-throw-everyone-on-the-lot-into-a-musical things, but I did a good song-and-dance number.

Thanks,

Best of Everything JC!

Per Wikipedia (& other sources)

The film is often cited (such as on the DVD release of the 1952 film "Singin' in the Rain") as the film that led to the downfall of John Gilbert's career. John Gilbert, a popular silent film actor (best known for his work opposite Garbo), possessed a pleasant tenor speaking voice, but it didn't always match his heroic, dashing screen image. In Hollywood Revue he plays the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet. first straight, then for laughs with contemporary slang!

After some reasearch I found out that "The Hollywood Revue of 1929 " does survive intact with its original Technicolor sequences. It was released on laser-disk in the 1990s. Nothing eles after that! It's outof print!

Hello folks, I am gratified by the response here, as well as by our positive direction.

I have not posted pictures here before, but I would like to dress up the thread with a scanned adobe acrobat professional image of the original sheet music to this film. I can make no sense of how do do this, can anyone help out? The image is saved to My Pictures on the hard drive.

Thelma

It's too bad I have to inconvenience other contributors to get something like this done.>>

Thelma,

No problem. That's one of the best things about this message board is the sharing of info and the help folks like Dobbsy and others extend to others.

Great sheet music by the way!