Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

Hi Thelma...

There you are !!! ......Great to see you're back !!!...and Not empty handed, either.

My Goodness, these Sheets are Soooo Awesome. And I enjoyed the Ukelele

playing on Youtube, as well. One of the Sheets, I noticed, has the name,

'Crystal Theatre' stamped on it. There used to be a 'Crystal Theatre' years ago,

around early ' 60's, on North Ave, near California Ave. I just wonder if this is the

one and the same. Just wanted to let you know how much I, and I'm sure the others,

appreciate all the hard work you & the others have contributed to this thread.

It's always good to hear from you & everyone else, too....Sometimes these 'Marble Halls'

grow quiet, I can hear my shoes 'clicking' as I walk through, but in the meantime,

I'm thoroughly enjoying all these youtube entries, sheet music, and the comments

from the others, even the comments from youtube.

Ugaarte. . .

410 S. Michigan in the Fine Arts Building....Great!!

This is 'Do-able' for me, since I work in the Downtown area.

I'll have to start 'patranozing' this joint and Envelope myself

with all this Rich Tapestry of Sheet Music that I'm sure is there,

and begin my 'Wallpaper' selecting....ha ha !!

Thanks, again, Thelma

Ugaarte

Thelma,

Here is a list of surviving Warner Bros films from the 1920s. It is courtesy of a silent film newsgroup poster who knows a thing or three about silents and preservation.

I don't know how many of these films have been restored or transferred to a digital format.

Beau Brummel 24

Better 'Ole, The 27

Beware 18

Beware of Bachelors 28

Brass 23

Brass Knuckles 27

Broken Hearts of Hollywood 26

Brute, The 27

Caught in the Fog 28

Cave Man, The 26

Clash of the Wolves 25

Conducter 1492 24

Daddies 24

Don Juan 26

First Auto, The 27

Footloose Widow, The 26

Fortune Hunter, The 27

Girl from Chicago, The 27

Glorious Betsy 28

Golden Cocoon, The 26

Greyhound Limited, The 29

Heart of Maryland, The 27

Her Marriage Vow 24

Heroes of the Street 22

Hills of Kentucky 27

His Majesty, Bunker Bean 25

If I Were Single 27

Jaws of Steel 27

Jazz Singer, The 27

Lady Windermere's Fan 25i

Lighthouse by the Sea 25

Limited Mail, The 25

Little Church Around the Corner, The 23

Lover of Camille, The 24

Lucretia Lombard 23

Man on the Box, The 25

Marriage Circle, The 23

Missing Link, The 27

My Official Wife 26

Night Cry, The 26

Noah's Ark 29

Oh, What a Nurse! 26

Old San Francisco 27

Pleasure Buyers, The 25

Sailor's Sweetheart, A 27

Sea Beast, The 26

Singing Fool, The 28

So This is Paris 26

Third Degree, The 26

Three Women 24

Tiger Rose 23

Tracked by the Police 27

When a Man Loves 27

Where the North Begins 23

Another poster to the newsgroup says that he has seen 19 of the films posted above either at film festivals or on TCM.

Hope this helps!

Lynn,

This list does not include the Colleen Moore features SYNTHETIC SIN, or WHY BE GOOD? Both released after First National had merged with Warner's. There are probably a few other admisions as well?

Anoher title that comes to mind is WEARY RIVER (1929), with Richard Barthelmess and Betty Compson. The Corinne Griffith feature THE DIVINE LADY was also released after the merger with Warner's I believe? I sure wish that they would find more of her films!

Jeffrey,

There may well be some "found" films since this list was made. If you have verification of WBros/First National films that exist that are not on this list, please feel free to add them to it.

I think all who are enjoying the thread would appreciate the addiitons.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

Thelma,

Unfortunately, gobs of 35 and 70 millimeter archive prints from the 20's to the 80's were destroyed in the studio fire a few weeks back. Despite earlier reports, many of the titles probably had no back-up's to speak of?

The surviving Reginald Denny/Laura La Plante comedy pairings like HER BIG NIGHT (1926), a film I have wanted to see for years, likely were casualties? I sure hope other prints do indeed still exist elsewhere! Tragically, the 70 Millimeter of Abel Gance NAPOLEON was not spared!

Four or Five Universal Silent's were just restored by UCLA, including Clarence Brown's BUTTERFLY (1924) with Laura La Plante, Norman Kerry, and Margaret Livingston. THE GOOSE WOMAN (1925), with Louise Dresser, Constance Bennett, and Jack Pickford. SMOULDERING FIRES (1925), with Pauline Frederick, La Plante, and Malcolm McGregor, THE HOMEMAKER (1926), with Clive Brook, and Alice Joyce. And I believe another Laura La Plante film that I have forgotten the name of? Hopefully, these are all safe at U. C. L. A. and not at the studio, but they are still owned by Universal!

Please note, I received your PM's, but my in-box is 90% full! When I try and delete items it has no affect on the number! Please E-mail me at home instead.

Jeffrey,

Do you have a link for the story about archive prints being destroyed. The stories I have read in the LATimes and elsewhere indicated that they were not archival or original prints.

What was destroyed were prints for film festivals, colleges and such. From what many are saying in the archival community, none of the original elements from these films were destroyed as they are stored off the lot in real vaults. The tragedy of the story is that many of the prints lost will not likely be reprinted in the years ahead. There is talk that some IB Technicolor prints were destroyed as well but so far that rumor has not been nailed completely down.

While we may not know the extent of the loss of the films, we should be careful about jumping to conclusions about what may have been lost until we have further proof.

It is one thing to speculate about what may have been lost but it should be clearly stated that it is purely speculation.

If you have sources for your information, I would implore you to post the links here so that this information gets shared as well.

When building an archive of information for future use, it is important that the info of that archive be as factual as possible.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

Lynn,

None of this is speculation I'm afraid. Kevin Brownlow told Ed personally, that all the 70 millimeter prints of NAPOLEON that Universal had went up in the blaze! Now I don't know if this means only the 1981 Carmine Coppalla scored re-issue, or what it entails? But that version had been released on DVD elsewhere several years ago. Another source says 35 millimeter prints of the film were lost?

I have likewise been told that almost 100% of the Studio's 35 and 70 millimeter archive was completely destroyed! Including the 70 millimeter of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE! Another one of my favorites!

Those 700 Paramount titles, wow! I would totally love it if TCM could arrange a deal to score those so that we could see them, many of them unaired for decades if not more! C'mon TCM, I know you can do it!!!

Mark,

Apparently, Paramount actually is going to release some of the Josef' Von Sternberg Silent's on DVD. Including THE LAST COMMAND and UNDERWORLD. I am not sure about THE DOCKS OF NEW YORK? Ceratinly it deserves to be included in the mix. So this is good news. The bad news is the new scores will probably be by the Alloy Orchestra? Which is terrible! With any luck there will be alternate tracks?

No word so far concerning the important James Cruze Silent's such as THE COVERED WAGON, THE PONY EXPRESS, and OLD IRONSIDES. Another really big Paramount Silent's that needs some attention is Hurbert Brennon's BEAU GESTE (1926) with Ronald Coleman, as well as Victor McLaglen, and William Powell.

It would be great to see some Bebe Daniels and Pola Negri titles, especially Mauritz Stiller's HOTEL IMPERIAL, and Rowland V. Lee's BARBED WIRE. I don't know if Paramount or Universal owns the rarely seen Betty Hutton Musicals such as INCENDIARY BLONDE or not? Does anyone else have details?

Thanks for posting all those Youtube, Thelma. She was really a classy lady, and a great dancer.

That's the first time I've seen her and Monltaban Tango-ing. I didn't realize he was quite a dancer,too! And sexy!!

They are all very good, and just shows how much talent and sophistication she brought to all her roles.

Cuggie, music....and a martini and I'll join you...

None of this is speculation I'm afraid. Kevin Brownlow told Ed personally, that all the 70 millimeter prints of NAPOLEON that Universal had went up in the blaze! Now I don't know if this means only the 1981 Carmine Coppalla scored re-issue, or what it entails? But that version had been released on DVD elsewhere several years ago. Another source says 35 millimeter prints of the film were lost?>>

From what I have been able to find out, it is only the prints that were lost not the printing elements, not the original elements, but the prints. A new print of of the 1981 version of *Napoleon* stands a better than average chance of getting re-struck based on Coppola's involvement.

I have likewise been told that almost 100% of the Studio's 35 and 70 millimeter archive was completely destroyed! Including the 70 millimeter of THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE! Another one of my favorites!>>

Again, these were prints used for film festivals, special event screenings and campus film classes.

The original elements and the printing elements were not stored in that vault at Universal. So, those films could theortically have new prints struck. And some will get re-struck due to their popularity at film festivals and college film schools. However, many of the lesser known and rare titles will likely not get new prints made unless some deep-pockets donor comes forth to make it happen.

I'm not trying to minimize the tragic losses of the fire but merely trying to stress that the loss could have been much more severe had the negatives and printing elements not been stored in a separate, off-the-lot vault(s).

But, the good news, if there is any is that the original printing elements, negatives and such were not lost in the fire.

The surviving Reginald Denny/Laura La Plante comedy pairings like HER BIG NIGHT (1926), a film I have wanted to see for years, likely were casualties? I sure hope other prints do indeed still exist elsewhere! Tragically, the 70 Millimeter of Abel Gance NAPOLEON was not spared!>>

Again, these were prints that were lost and they could be replaced should Universal or a deep-pocket donor step up to the plate.

There is still no definitive word on how many IB Technicolor prints were lost in the fire and those, because they were Technicolor are the true tragedy as they cannot be replaced as the Technicolor process that they were printed on is no longer in use.

Four or Five Universal Silent's were just restored by UCLA, including Clarence Brown's BUTTERFLY (1924) with Laura La Plante, Norman Kerry, and Margaret Livingston. THE GOOSE WOMAN (1925), with Louise Dresser, Constance Bennett, and Jack Pickford. SMOULDERING FIRES (1925), with Pauline Frederick, La Plante, and Malcolm McGregor, THE HOMEMAKER (1926), with Clive Brook, and Alice Joyce. And I believe another Laura La Plante film that I have forgotten the name of? Hopefully, these are all safe at U. C. L. A. and not at the studio, but they are still owned by Universal!>>

They are likely housed at UCLA and are safe and sound. You could contact the archive directly to find out. Again, the original negatives and printing elements were stored at separate facilities and were not destroyed in the fire.

Thelma,

I'm not sure how to prioritize the list as I'm not sure what you are looking for? Their likelihood of being on Youtube or sheet music or other ephemera exisitng.

If Youtube, the better known titles, especially if the film has aired on TCM, raises the possibilities of finding the film or parts of the films on youtube.

As for sheet music and other ephemera, you have a much better handle on that than I do!

Also, I am curious, do we know if Universal has all 700 titles of Paramount films and where did the 700 number come from?

Thanks for all your help!