Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

Jeffrey,

I contacted UCLA Film and Television Archive and received word back that none of UCLA's Universal films were lost in the fire. As the head of the Archive noted it was prints that were lost in the recent fire and not original negatives, printing elements and that protection copies exist elsewhere off the lot.

Lynn,

Well, that's good news concerning the Universal titles at U. C. L. A. Thanks. But what about those that were not at U. C. L. A.? Do their holdings include a print of NAPOLEON??? I sure hope so!

That's awesome Thelma! I would only humbly suggest adding: Any plans to strike a deal with TCM to generate more enthusiasm and interest in these films, much the way Sony/Columbia, Hallmark, and Paramount have done?

I'd love to see these films populate the TCM landscape!!! What a coup!

Mark, Thelma,

The Eddie Cantor comedy TCM just aired "THE KID FROM SPAIN" from 1932, was a true Rarity From Reeves! I don't recall the last time TCM ran a Cantor feature??? The Goldwyn Girls were great! Time to show more of these! If TCM can air this one, maybe We can get them to show WHOOPEE (1930) in Technicolor as well?

Cantor made some Silent films, Including KID BOOTS (Paramount, 1926) with Clara Bow, and Billie Dove, and SPECIAL DELIVERY (Paramount, 1927) with Jobyna Ralston and William Powell. I know that very good prints exist of both, because I have these on DVD-R from the Cantor Society. KID BOOTS looks very good, but might be missing some footage?

Even though WHOOPEE wasn't released until 1930, the Stage-play and all the songs goes back a couple years earlier. So this could still be considered as part of a 1920's package. The title tune was a big hit in 1928.

Wow, I totally agree!!! This film, *THE KID FROM SPAIN*, was aired...sometime in the last year, I think...but wow, it's rare! Loved it!!! Would love to see more Eddie Cantor!!! I have a few of his films other than this and the other that very occasionaly airs on TCM, *STRKE ME PINK*, and they are all great! Would love to see more air on TCM!!!

Mark,

Yes, Cantor had a long career on stage and film. He also had allot of big hit records! His version of "NO, NO, NORA", was a number one song in 1923! Hey, that was 10 years before THE KID FROM SPAIN was produced, and Eddie still looked mighty young in this movie!

Cantor's 1931 film PALMY DAYS is also one of my favorites. There are some great tunes and some wonderful Busby Berkley staged sequences in it. The last restoration of WHOOPEE! (done some time in the 1990s) still looks really great. Love that two color Technicolor!

Thelma,

I applaud your efforts to get GE/Universal/NBC to come to the table and start working with TCM to make their film library available to the channel.

One thing I would recommend (I'm recovering from knee surgery for awhile and hope someone can pick up this gauntlet) is to find out how many titles (both Paramount and Universal) that Universal has to offer.

Universal threw out a number of their older films for storage space back in the 1940s and that is one reason that their silent library is not as complete as it should be.

I doubt that the folks at Universal know all they titles they own but you never know, they might surprise us and have a database.

But it would be worth getting back up information from other reliable sources as well.

In addition, Paramount should be contacted. They still own their silent film library They sold their 1930s-1948 film library to Universal years ago but retained the rights to their silent films.

Considering that Paramount is letting the negative to *The Godfather* rot, they should be high on the list to contact as well.

Just my thoughts from the recovery room.

Thelma,

EVANGELINE (1929) with Delores Del Rio is another rare United Artists Silent. But Unlike the more famous RAMONA (1928) this film still exists! It was released on DVD by Milestone in 2001. There is some Technicolor footage.

As far as I know this movie has not been shown on TCM? The Milestone print was very good quality. I have several versions of the title song. I will search on Youtube to see if one is posted or not?

From YouTube check out: "Song From 1930 - "Do I Know What I'm Doing?" In this clip can be seen Jack Benny, Marie Dressler, Polly Moran, Charles King & Bessie Love. It's from the film "Chasing Rainbows." (1930). (It was filmed in summer/fall 1929 and I believe the working title of the film was "Road Show") The technicolor sequences in this film are believed to be lost.

coder1953,

Hey Benji, is that YOU? Or is this another Coder???? If it's indeed You, I have come to the rationalization that you are more elusive than BACKYARD BIGFOOT! In any event, please let me know?

Thelma,

Hard to believe Charles Farrell sang "IF I HAD A TALKING PICTURE OF YOU" to Janet Gaynor in SUNNY SIDE UP! While Gaynor herself, crooned the title tune! Unfortunately, neither of the two could sing! Still I would love to see this picture restored! The Technicolor sequences I am afraid do not survive? At least I have never seen them before?

Gagman,

I'm interested in the most important era in the history of Hollywood: the transition from silent to sound .. and to be more specific the films from 1929/30. This era is sadly neglected and it shouldn't be. Hollywood was trying to out-do Broadway with lavish musicals, the use of color photography, various wide-screen processes and of course sound: vitaphone, movietone, photophone...all competing for the best talking pictures.

TCM used to air quite a few of these early talkies. Over the past few years it has become a rare event to see one aired on TCM. Many early talkies have been restored, yet few are ever seen. Films such as "Mammy" (1930), "Glorifying the American Girl" (1929), "Follow Thru" (1930) all exist in pristine condition....yet I've never seen them aired. (Clips are all on YouTube.) That's my interest in this thread: "Seeking a copy of The Hollywood Revue of 1929."

As an aside the color used in "Sunnyside Up" was multicolor ... a competitor to technicolor. Fox Films used mutilcolor in a number of their films from 1929/30. I guess if someone had enough money "Sunnyside Up" could be restored to somewhat of its former glory. I dislike colorization; however, the water carnival sequence (which was the multicolor sequence) would look better colorized to represent the pastels of multicolor, as opposed to the drab black & white shadows we see in the film when viewed today.

Coder

Hi Thelma,

I've been meaning to get back to you and tell you how much I'm enjoying your scans. Thanks for sharing your collection with us.

I have a number of 20's films on tape from the old days of TCM. This is mostly Chaney, Pickford, Gish, Haines, Garbo, Shearer, Chaplin, Keaton and such. Also films like *The Crowd,* *Souls for Sale,* *Show People* and *Sunrise.* I also have a lot of Fatty Arbuckle and Mabel Normand shorts. I have enjoyed all these films but I don't have the level of knowledge about this era and it's films that many of the other posters here have. I would love to see more Clara Bow films and more from directors Frank Borzage and von Sternberg. I do have both versions of *The Blue Angel.*

For now I'm enjoying learning more about the era and it's films from reading this thread. There is a lot of good information on here. I'll be happy to help in any organized effort you come up with to get the studio's to make these films available to the public again. In the mean time I will make an effort to request more of these titles through this website.

Regards,

Molo