Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

I can post a bigger image if you want, but that tends to stretch all the texts of the posts out and make it difficult to read.

If you click on my "Large version" link, that will take you to a big version of the picture. If the picture is small there, click on it and it will enlarge.

TCM has so many films from the 1929/30 era .. yet are rarely shown. Hollywood Revue of 1929 was last seen, I believe, in October 2004. Other films that would be nice to see (either from 1929 or 1930) include:

Rio Rita

Broadway Babies

Weary River

Street Girl

Sally

Sunny (this was scheduled to air on Monday June 23, but then pulled from the schedule)

Show Girl in Hollywood

Sweet Mama

Green Goddess

Show of Shows

Madam Satan

The Cuckoos

It's A Great Life (sort of a clone of "The Broadway Melody")

I could go on and on. This is just a short list.

I'm sure all of these films are in the TCM library.

I'm sure all of these films are in the TCM library.>>

Coder,

There is no longer a TCM library, per se. When Ted Turner merged his company, including TCM, with Time Warner in the late 1990s, the TCM library was part of that deal.

The former TCM library (all RKO, pre-1986 MGM films and pre-1949 WBros) is now under the care and handling of Warner Bros. and TCM has to rent all the films it shows.

They have better access to the films that used to make up the old Turner library than they do to the post-1949 Warners library and some of the other studios films, but they still have to rent the films from WBros.

Thelma,

These are all good ideas.

As part of the theme month, perhaps TCM could help fund the Doug Fairbanks, Sr docu that Kevin Brownlow wants to do.

According to Brownlow during his chat the SSO last week this docu needs to find the funds to be produced. Doug Sr deserves to have a good docu made about him and audiences need to be reminded that no one ever looked as they were having fun making movies as Doug did.

Plus, he made some darn good films too.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Thelma,

>

> These are all good ideas.

>

> As part of the theme month, perhaps TCM could help fund the Doug Fairbanks, Sr docu that Kevin Brownlow wants to do.

>

> According to Brownlow during his chat the SSO last week this docu needs to find the funds to be produced. Doug Sr deserves to have a good docu made about him and audiences need to be reminded that no one ever looked as they were having fun making movies as Doug did.

>

> Plus, he made some darn good films too.

Great idea, Lynn. Where can I send in my two cents toward a Doug documentary by Mr. Brownlow (and well deserved Star of the Month vote, which I put in Suggest a Movie some time ago)?

ThelmaTodd really has some excellent ideas which the TCM programmers need to seriously consider. The idea for a "Roaring Twenties" month is awesome; I love the idea of putting together a documentary revolving around this era and transition from silents to talkies. Hopefully TCM could show many of the part talkies and early talkies and musicals which have been sitting in the vaults for years. This idea could also be used to promote a DVD package with some of the better films of this era for sale to the public.

I love the idea of putting together a documentary revolving around this era and transition from silents to talkies>>

Kevin Brownlow's priceless documentary *Hollywood* explores the history of the silent films and the last episode is on the transition to sound and it's a stunner.

The 13 part docu has run on TCM in the past.

I would hope that if TCM does decide to do this as a month theme they would get Brownlow to host the weekly spotlights with Robert Osborne.

I wish they'd even release "Hollywood" on DVD. I know they'd have at least one buyer.>>

Mickee,

They would have many, many buyers I have no doubt.

Unfortunately rights issues stand in the way.

The good news is that Kevin Brownlow, when he visited the SSO last week, indicated that they were working their way through the remaining problem clips.

So maybe one of these days, that wonderful docu will finally be on DVD.

Till then, hoping, hoping, hoping.....

That is good news!

Maybe they were listening. I'll be checking out that August schedule shortly!

*Good news everybody! TCM has "Hollywood Revue of 1929" on it's August schedule, marked for the 4th of August, in the am.

I don't know if they came upon this by listening to us or on their own, but I'm glad none the less. It's always good for us to speak out to TCM about our wishes.

The August schedule has a lot of early talkies, several from the 20's. Good job TCM!

Thelma*

Only "good" news? I think you showed great restraint!

Be lots of DVRing that month!

Thanks for the good news!

Does anyone know if Syncopation, RKO's first film and a very early 1929 talkie, has ever aired on TCM, and if so when? Thanks in advance for any reply!

SYNCOPATION for many years has been considered a lost film. There is a story, however, that a print was found in Russia. I don't know if it is true or not. There are many stories of other lost films turning up in someone's basement, etc., only to turn out to be someone's idea of a joke.

There was a story started about a year ago that F.W. Murnau's 1928 film FOUR DEVILS had turned up in Washington. It turns out that it was not true. If it is indeed true that SYNCOPATION does survive, then it would be great to see this film on TCM. Although I would imagine that it might take some time foe a copy to make it's way back to the Time Warner vaults.

I have not only seen Syncopation, I have a complete copy of it. My copy is black & white, so if it was originally in Technicolor, I don't have a copy. I got mine from a collector, so I have no idea where it originally came from. However, at no time does the TCM logo or any other station logo or sign that it was copied from TV show up on the DVD, so I assume the collector didn't get his copy from there. That's why I asked if it had ever been on TCM.

It is a cute movie. It's not great, and it is a bit talkie and static in the sense that many early sound films were. The movie is about the dance team of Benny & Fleurette.They make the big time, but Fleurette wants to be a member of high society, not just wealthy. Benny's friends (Morton Downey and Dorothy Lee) embarrass her at a party she is giving for her new snooty friends and she decides to divorce Benny. The rest of the film is how Benny & Fleurette get back together.

There are a couple of very good numbers with The Pennsylvanians and Downey and Lee. There is also an interesting number in which The Pennsylvanians put on newspaper hats and do what can only be described as a "hand jive" as part of their number. The problem is, when they are on stage in the nightclub setting, the static camera forces some long shots in which it is hard to see detail. There is a similar problem in "Glorifying the American Girl" if you've ever seen that 1929 talkie. Still, it is an interesting snapshot of Jazz Age culture just before the stock market crash.

You have a complete copy of SYNCOPATION?

Richard Barrios says the existing copy has several reels missing.....