Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

I would LOVE a copy on DVD (or VHS) of Paramount On Parade. If anyone can help me with this, please contact me off this site using my email address. Thank you very much, Matt Sherwin

matthew.sherwin@yahoo.com

themanthatgotaway,

Well, I had seen PARAMOUNT ON PARADE offered someplace awhile back, but I do not remember where? I don't have this, but I do have lots of Paramount, and Fox Silents not on DVD.

I have over 700 Silent features in all. So let me know what you are looking for? In most cases you won't find any better quality than you will get from me anyplace.

I have some late 20's Musicals, but not very many. A few from the the very early 30's. Most are not the best prints, but some like SUNNY SIDE UP, and TANNED LEGS don't look to bad.

Ed,

You don't have PARAMOUNT ON PARADE do you? I don't have the MGM Review either I don't believe? Though I will look around to make sure?

There aren't very many talkies from 1928, but two still in existence are the first all-talking feature motion picture "Lights of New York" and also the part-talkie "The Singing Fool", starring Al Jolson. I've seen "Singing Fool", but has anyone ever seen "Lights of New York"? I'd be interested in your comments. Has either of them ever shown up on TCM? They are Warner properties.

I have this film; here is my comment on IMDb:

LIGHTS OF NEW YORK was the first "all-taking" feature film, coming in at a brisk 57 minutes and directed by Bryan Foy (of the famous vaudeville family).

The story has two dopey barbers (Cullen Landis, Eugene Pallette) yearning for a chance at "big city life" and getting involved with gangsters and bootleg booze. One of the guys gets framed for the murder of a cop but is saved at the last minute by a gun moll (Gladys Brockwell).

Much of the story takes place in a night club called The Night Hawk, which is run by a crook named Hawk (Wheeler Oakman) who has his eye on a pretty chorine (Helene Costello) who is the girl friend of Landis. Costello gets to do a brief dance, and we hear Harry Downing (made up to resemble Ted Lewis) sing "At Dawning" in his best Al Jolson style.

The acting ranges from good (Palette and Brockwell) to awful (Oakman). A couple of the actors **** their lines but then keep right on with the scene. As noted elsewhere this was intended to be a short 2-reeler and was made on a shoestring budget. Yet the sound quality is surprisingly good, the voices all register clearly, and there is a neat cinematic touch in the silhouette death.

The film was a box-office smash even though it was shown as a silent film where theaters were not wired for the new sound technology. No one expected this little film to gross an amazing $1.3 million. It briefly made stars of Costello and Landis and certainly launched Pallette on his long career as a star character actor.

Co-stars include Mary Carr as the mother, Robert Elliott as the detective, Eddie Kane as the street cop, and Tom Dugan as a thug.

Thanks for the information. It's nice to know it's not as completely bad as I've been told. I hope I can see it in its entirety some day.

*Lights of New York* has definitely aired on TCM -- that's where I saw it. (However, it's probably been at least two years, if not three, since it last aired.)

If you do get the chance to see it, watch for the telephones in almost every scene, and the extent to which the characters make use of them, often for no good reason. That's where the giant microphones for the movie's sound were hidden.

Overall, LIGHTS OF NEW YORK is not the worst movie I have ever seen, but it does have its moments. There are a few scenes where the actors recite their dialogue in a very stilted manor.

It comes off as funny instead of dramatic.

I think LIGHTS OF NEW YORK must have been done in one take since several actors **** their lines but the scene goes right on....

I wouldn't be surprised, as the majority of the film was shot on the quiet, as most of the Warner brothers did not want to make an all talking feature film at that time. LIGHTS OF NEW YORK was originally supposed to be a Vitaphone short.

You're right Scott..... the film was a "spur of the moment" decision and grew from a short to a feature.

*Any 20's film or musical suggestions of your own Scottman? *

Hi Thelma,

TCM once in a while will run RIO RITA (1929), RKO's extraviganza. It stars Jone Boles, Bebe Daniels and Wheeler and Woolsy.The second half of the film is in color.

Ernst Lubitsch's THE LOVE PARADE (1929) is also fun. THE BISHOP MURDER CASE (1930) is also very good. shot in 1929 and release in Januray of 1930, it stars Basil Rathbone as Philo Vance. Sometimes this one gets run on TCM as well. DYNAMITE (1929) is a pretty good film, its C.B. DeMille's talkie debut.

If you can track down a copies of these, I would recommend FOLLOW THRU (1930), a neat two color Technicolor musical from Paramount with Buddy Rogers and Nancy Carroll. Also THE KING OF JAZZ (1930), Universal's all star review movie in two color Technicolor features the Paul Whiteman band. Frank Capra's 1930 film RAIN OR SHINE is also good. This was a big hit on braodway with several songs, but Columbia pictures did not use any of the songs. Joe Cook, who stars in this one was also the show's star when it ran on Broadway.

add SWEET KITTY BELLAIRS (1930) to the list.... a nice little operetta from Warners, originally shot in Technicolor but only the B&W version survives. Claudia Dell and Walter Pidgeon star.

no idea.... but the film is rare but around.... who knew Walter Pidgeon could sing?I liked it.

Hello!

I have reviewed the thread so far for title mentions, and have compiled the following list:

Title Mentioned by

HR of 1929 themanthatgotaway

1920's month Thelma Todd

Broadway Babies coder1953

Weary River coder1953

Street Girl coder1953

Sally coder1953

Sunny coder1953

Show Girl in Hollywood coder1953

Sweet Mama coder1953

Green Goddess coder1953

Show of Shows coder1953

Madam Satan coder1953

The Cuckoos coder1953

It's A Great Life coder1953

Doug Fairbanks Sr. documentary lzcutter

Syncopation calvinme/Scottman

Glorifying The American Girl calvinme

The Great Gabbo calvinme

Sweet Kitty Bellairs drednm

Her Wild Oat gagman66

The Big Parade gagman66

Bardely's The Magnificant gagman66

Wine of Youth gagman66

Proud Flesh gagman66

The Cardboard Lover gagman66

Man Woman & Sin gagman66

Lilac Time gagman66

What Price Glory? gagman66

Seventh Heaven gagman66

Street Angel gagman66

Four Sons gagman66

City Girl gagman66

Docks of New York gagman66

Beggars of Life gagman66

The Godless Girl gagman66

Paramount of Parade gagman66

Camille drednm

Brown of Harvard drednm

The Roaring Road drednm

Why Change Your Wife drednm

Don't Change Your Husband drednm

Lights Of New York calvinme

The Singing Fool calvinme

Rio Rita Scottman

The Love Parade Scottman

The Bishop Murder Case Scottman

Dynamite Scottman

Follow Thru Scottman

The King Of Jazz Scottman

It is good for us to keep track of what films have been mentioned so far- and they are all good suggestions! I think we should regularly go over the list to consider what is desirable, as well as what is possible. I hope I have not missed anyone or their contribution. The above is a list of 50+ films so far. The list can be further filtered based on whether the title has been suggested to TCM under "Suggest A Movie" or in some other email, and whether TCM has shown it before.

Did anyone catch "Wings"(1927) over the weekend?

Thelma

PS: Sorry the spacing looks bad- this isn't a real word-processing program and doesn't handle spacing well.

Message was edited by: ThelmaTodd

I further suggest we find out or look up the Oscar winners and nominees for 1928 to 1929, as some of those are good candidates as well, if they are not already on our mention list. I can't do this now, but if nobody has beat me to it by tomorrow, then I'll get that info.

Thelma