Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

We are unlikely to see THE PATRIOT any time soon as it is a lost film. IN OLD ARIZONA is a Fox film, and is available on DVD. Another Fox film that would be nice to have shown again is John Ford's RILEY THE COP (1928).

actually Emil Jannings won for THE LAST COMMAND and THE WAY OF ALL FLESH; Janet Gaynor won for SUNRISE, 7th HEAVEN, and STREET ANGEL... This was the only year actors were nominated for the entire year's work.

Interesting that most of these Oscar-winning films exist... THE PATRIOT might be lost and THE WAY OF ALL FLESH probably is lost....

Message was edited by: drednm

Nice idea, Thelma, and a good job of scanning (I noticed you practiced in another thread ;) ).

Now I have to check if I have any sheet music from old films as well.

My grandmother had lots of movie sheet music from the 1930s, for her piano, but I don't know whatever happened to those. Darn.

I know this may be slightly off-topic, but "Call Her Savage" runs on Fox Movie Channel at 8:30AM EST Sunday. Yeah, 8 hrs from now. While this is surely more a "pre-code" film than 20's stuff, the star, Clara Bow, is definitively a 20's icon, so I threw it up here.

CALL HER SAVAGE is a terrific film and Bow's best talkie.

ThelmaTodd,

I have written allot about HAXEN (1922) in the past. A very spooky movie, because that is how people were actually treated by the Church in the middle ages! The Ugly genuinely frightening looking Devil was played by the films director Benjamin Christiansen. TCM broadcast the Criterion Collection DVD Edition with the Gillian Anderson Orchestral score. The print is multi-tinted, and just beautiful!

The dialogue in THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND was tacked on well after the fact. The movie started production in 1926! Not released until 1929, so it was long delayed! The 2-Strip Technicolor footage I believe has been found, but is not in this older TCM print. Lloyd Hughes was one if the best looking leading men of the 20's, and Jane Daly was certainly one of the great underrated beauties of the day.