Sign in to follow this  
themanthatgotaway

Seeking copy of Hollywood Revuew of 1929

1,708 posts in this topic

Thelma,

I got BROADWAY from a friend overseas several months ago. The print isn't bad, but the recording is mediocre, at best.

I have a couple good vintage recordings of the GLAD RAG DOLL song. But the movie as far as I know is Lost? I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Van and Schenck were very funny! Have you ever heard "PASTA FAZOOLA" from 1927! It will simply crack you up!

Gagman, just to make sure I say this once, because I can be forgetful.....

Your enthusiasm for the silents, early soundies is absolutely infectious! Thank you. Keep the passion, pal!

Macandcheese,

Hey, E-mail me and I will send you the recording of the PASTA FAZOOLA song in MP-3 format! It is a relatively small file so it shouldn't bog down your server.

Thanks for the "Syncopation" and "Gold Digger's" finale links.

We will have to talk about indexing these posts somehow, especially the ones where we are making a submission of picture, link or file.

If we post enough youtube links here, then we will have effectively created a "sub-TCM or sub-On Demand" feature here! Something to think about!

Thelma

Thelma,

It's simple! Just click on My Space beneath the item selected, and highlight the URL. Now drag the URL provided from Youtube for each video that is over there that you like. The links should be intact, so there is no need to type anything else. That's all you do!

Display The link to what ever it is you wish to post right here. I have gotten a ton of songs off Youtube just recently. Lot's of great stuff from the entire decade of the 20's! I already had a significant collection, but some of this stuff is so rare! Amazing to discover everything that is over there! Be leery of Spywares!

Thelma,

Between 1994 and 2001 the old American Movie Classics held a 3 or 4 day film preservation festival every year! TCM should take up the mantle. I'm surprised that this hasn't already been done some time ago? But admittedly, funds are scare! Especially, these days!

Between 1994 and 2001 the old American Movie Classics held a 3 or 4 day film preservation festival every year! TCM should take up the mantle. I'm surprised that this hasn't already been done some time ago? But admittedly, funds are scare! Especially, these days!>>

Jeffrey,

I agree that TCM should pick up the Film Preservation festival mantle. It is a perfect fit for the network that airs their movies uncut and commercial free.

I think TCM backing such a festival would help to draw much needed attention to this very important subject.

Izcutter,

Are you still interested in the movies we have talked about off and on for the past 2 years??? Most recently a few months ago? I have not been able to E-mail you, since I still do not have your address??? Actually, I do have a Lynn in my address book, but I am not so sure if it is you? I don't think so? I am speaking here, since my In-box has hit 90% full on this forum!

What is with the skyrocketing cost of Blank media now? Up some $4.00 a spindle in just 2 weeks???? I don't get it???

Given how many people dislike PBS's fundraising drives aka "dailing for dollars", I don't think a telethon for film preservation would be a good fit with TCM.

What might be a better fit would be for TCM to set aside a week or two nights a week for a month and highlight Film Preservation with interstials and promotional pieces specifically prepared for the theme of film preservation that play between the restored films.

They could film interviews with some of the top people involved in preservation such as Kevin Browlow, David Shepard, Bob Birchard, Robert Gitt, George Feltenstein, Roger Mayer and others and play them in between the restored features.

They could also highlight those who do support Film Preservation with their wallets: David Packard, Hugh Hefner, Marty Scorsese and others.

They could have an hour long roundtable hosted by Robert Osborne where they talk about why preservation is so important, why it is expensive, culturally why it is important.

They could have a section here on the website (like they do for all their special programming) with articles, pictures, information and maybe they could take donations that way..

Lastly, as a tie-in, perhaps TCM could have a traveling film series that goes around the country and shows some of the restored films in theaters.

I think something like that might be more appealing to TCM viewers than the PBS telethon approach.

Hi Everyone...

Thelma, I just have to say, these are some Rich and Gorgeous Music Sheets you've

posted. . . I hope we can Enjoy seeing more of your collection. Thank you for displaying them.

I'm also a lover of old films and all for preserving them for generations to come.

I believe it was the Member, Dizzy, who had posted the 'Youtube' selections. . .

Dizzy, these were Soooo Enjoyable, of course I caught a glimpse of it @ my job. and

of course, received the unavoidable 'snickerings' from some of my co workers, who I couldn't

continuing. . .as I was stating, some of my coworkers have a hard time understanding the old movies that I enjoy so much, in other words, if its not in color, then they have no use for it.

But I understand also, as its the kind of movie viewing they've been exposed to, growing up.

You just gotta love 'em !!!