[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

The Complete Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly Shorts Coming to DVD

15 posts in this topic

Good news for fans of the Hal Roach comedy series that co-starrred Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly. All 21 of their shorts will be released on DVD on June 26th as the inauguration of the Silver Series, with, hopefully, more rare film stuff to be released from the vaults in the future under this series name.

8707C679-4A3F-4ED2-9690-1B51E298FE32.jpe

https://bottomshelfmovies.com/the-complete-thelma-todd-patsy-kelly-shorts-coming-to-dvd/

BABES+IN+THE+GOODS+LC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's great news however I wonder why they didn't include the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts shorts as well? This would have been the complete collection.

21 hours ago, midnight08 said:

That's great news however I wonder why they didn't include the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts shorts as well? This would have been the complete collection.

Who knows, but, hopefully, with good sales with this series, the Todd-Pitts shorts will follow.

By the way, Patsy Kelly was so discouraged with her initial filmland experience (she was shocked, for example, that she had to do much of her own stunt work at the Roach studio) that, after informing Thelma Todd she was quitting Hollywood, she got on a train to head back east. She left it to Todd to inform Hal Roach she was gone.

Todd, instead, jumped in her car and, after seeing that Kelly had already departed from her apartment and was on the train, drove to Pasadena, the train's next stop. Todd leaped on the train, found Kelly surrounded by her luggage and said, "Get off, Kelly. Come on." Patsy, in shock, complied and followed her.

Todd drove her back to Hollywood and the two talked all night about Kelly's problems, one of the major ones being her finances. Todd advised her to not declare bankruptcy over her debts as it would severely hurt her credit rating. Thelma told Patsy that, no matter what, she should never pull out and run out on anything again. (Todd nearly had herself after finding initial frustration in Hollywood). Todd promised Kelly to help her out with her fiances, along with the help of her agent and for the next six months would be in charge of Patsy's money.

Of course their comedy series would then take off and Kelly and Todd would become the best of friends.

todd-kelly1.jpg?w=663

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recorded these several years ago when they aired on TCM in a block in August. VERY entertaining-love them!

Someone had crafted a poster for the last Cinefest from that image with the caption, "Get off your cel phone or I'll pop ya!"

8707C679-4A3F-4ED2-9690-1B51E298FE32.jpeg

I took it home, laminated it & have it at the box office for our Monday night movies. Everyone chuckles over it, but sadly phones still go off during the movie.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I recorded these several years ago when they aired on TCM in a block in August. VERY entertaining-love them!

Someone had crafted a poster for the last Cinefest from that image with the caption, "Get off your cel phone or I'll pop ya!"

8707C679-4A3F-4ED2-9690-1B51E298FE32.jpeg

I took it home, laminated it & have it at the box office for our Monday night movies. Everyone chuckles over it, but sadly phones still go off during the movie.

I have a great affection for the Hal Roach comedy shorts of the early to mid 30s. Yes, the shorts can be (and are) hit and miss but, at their best, there's a good natured quality about them, a certain camaraderie you see in the casts, with some of the same familiar character faces appearing in various series, such as a Charlie Hall, for example. And I love the musical accompaniment many of these shorts have. Can the word "jolly" be applied to the up beat spirits that that music brings to them?

Fortunately a lot of the Roach comedy shorts have appeared on TCM, usually as filler between films. Unfortunately they rarely, if ever, make it into Canada, so I didn't see any of those day long tributes the channel had.

But I even enjoy some of the lesser Roach series, such as The Taxi Boys and The Boy Friends. But there were also the two Thelma Todd series, one with ZaSu Pitts, the other with Patsy Kelly, along with some really great work, at times, from Charlie Chase (with whom Todd was memorably paired on a number of occasions), and, of course, the legendary kings of the Roach Studios, Laurel and Hardy.

The 40 L & H shorts were included in a marvelous 10 disc release, Laurel and Hardy The Essential Collection, a few years ago, an absolute must (if you can afford it) for Stan and Ollie fans.

51KEbLJFPSL._SY445_.jpg

Earlier this year a marvelous DVD release came out for Charlie Chase fans, with 18 of his comedy shorts from 1930 and 1931. Hopefully there will be more Chase collections in the future.

s-l300.jpg

Now, with this upcoming June release of the Todd and Kelly 21 shorts, fans of the Roach Studios comedy shorts will have the opportunity to celebrate once again.

I would like to see these. The sophisticated Thelma Todd paired with the street wise Patsy Kelly made for a great team. I own a VHS copy of the Laurel and Hardy's "Sons Of The Desert" and they have the Todd/Kelly short "Top Flat" tacked on to it. It's a hilarious comedy with Todd working as a maid in penthouse apartment and pretending it is hers, Kelly shows up at the place with a pair of boorish boyfriends and cause havoc. I hope the other shorts are as good as this one. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, midnight08 said:

Yeah, I love Thelma but sometimes Patsy can drive me crazy. If I'd been Rosemary when Patsy kept trying to rock my devil baby way too fast at Ruth's apartment in the Dakota, I would have swatted Patsy with anything I could get my hands on. But I love Zasu so much so will wait for her shorts to be released too. Thanks for the info!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Yeah, I love Thelma but sometimes Patsy can drive me crazy. If I'd been Rosemary when Patsy kept trying to rock my devil baby way too fast at Ruth's apartment in the Dakota, I would have swatted Patsy with anything I could get my hands on. But I love Zasu so much so will wait for her shorts to be released too. Thanks for the info!

I have to agree. Although I like Patsy Kelly sometimes she can get on my nerves. I prefer the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts shorts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

I have to agree. Although I like Patsy Kelly sometimes she can get on my nerves. I prefer the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts shorts.

Apparently Thelma Todd was a doll to know. She had a great reputation as someone easy to work with on the Roach sets (the only problem being that there had to be some re-takes because Thelma would start to break up with laughter). But she was plucky and, unlike some other actresses, ready to get involved in physical pratfall comedy. Todd made a point of not "going Hollywood" with her friends, and, after becoming a star, would occasionally visit her hometown (Lawrence, Massachusetts) and be accessible for many. There were no airs with Todd.

Todd was so generous as a person, constantly giving an expensive coat or dress of her's to someone who might express an admiration for them, that people on the Roach film set stopped telling her they liked her outfits.

Her favourite time of year was Christmas (her tragic and mysterious death occurring ten days prior to it in 1935). Some friends were still receiving gifts and cards in the mail days after the headlines had exploded about her death. Charlie Chase, who had hoped to be re-teamed on the screen with her one day, broke down in tears when he received his final Christmas card from her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I would like to see these. The sophisticated Thelma Todd paired with the street wise Patsy Kelly made for a great team. I own a VHS copy of the Laurel and Hardy's "Sons Of The Desert" and they have the Todd/Kelly short "Top Flat" tacked on to it. It's a hilarious comedy with Todd working as a maid in penthouse apartment and pretending it is hers, Kelly shows up at the place with a pair of boorish boyfriends and cause havoc. I hope the other shorts are as good as this one. 

I believe that Top Flat is regarded as one of the best of the Todd-Kelly shorts. It certainly is a funny one.

Image+8.jpg

Thank you TomJH for that story. I love Thelma Todd and this year I finally get to reflect/respect by visiting her final resting place in MA. I'll also be taking a trip to Elmira to revisit Mark Twain and respect to Hal Roach.

Zazu Pitts was my childhood nickname. I never knew there was a real person by that name until my 30's! Too quickly the talent contained in these past films are forgotten. So glad though that much is being preserved....in case there's ever interest.

• Like 1

Thelma was wonderful in two MARX BROTHERS FILMS 'MONKEY BUSINESS and HORSE FEATHERS.  She held her own to Groucho Marx.  if anybody needs a link to see the films on line, i will secure it.

By coincidence, TCM has scheduled several feature films with Patsy Kelly for this coming Tuesday afternoon, May 22.  The list includes (Eastern times):

12:15p    musical    Going Hollywood (1933)
    1:45p    comedy    Kelly the Second (1936)
    3:15p    comedy    Nobody's Baby (1937)
    4:30p    comedy    Merrily We Live (1938)
    6:15p    comedy    There Goes My Heart (1938)

(Sylvia Sidney films are featured in the morning time slots.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Thank you TomJH for that story. I love Thelma Todd and this year I finally get to reflect/respect by visiting her final resting place in MA. I'll also be taking a trip to Elmira to revisit Mark Twain and respect to Hal Roach.

Zazu Pitts was my childhood nickname. I never knew there was a real person by that name until my 30's! Too quickly the talent contained in these past films are forgotten. So glad though that much is being preserved....in case there's ever interest.

Ah, Tiki-Soo, it's great of you to pay homage to some of these people who have meant so much to us over the years, even these long decades or more (Mark Twain) since their passing.

Thelma was cremated and her mother kept her ashes with her until her death, December 18, 1969, 34 years almost to the day since her daughter's passing. I see in find-a-grave that Thelma resides in a cemetery in her hometown of Lawrence, Mass, which is where her mother returned following Thelma's death. Even when she was in Hollywood at the peak of her career (living with her mother in an apartment for part of that time), Todd always had desires to revisit family and friends in Lawrence, which she did do, on at least one occasion or more. She never forgot old relations.

Maid in Hollywood (1933)

A lot of the time, it seems, the pre-code comedy of the shorts involved having an excuse for the audience to see lovely Thelma in her under garments.

Still works for me!

MaidInHollywood1.gif

• Like 1