spence

All-Time Greatest Motion Picture Scores & Composers?

47 posts in this topic

I may have written abut this superlative topic before, but it's been over 22yrs I think

Next to *Sinatra, my overall favs within the MUSIC are motion picture scores!

AGAIN, I TRULY HOPE W/OWN CANDIDATES THIUS TIME  (Part #1)

In 2006 AFI-(American Film Institute) (est 1967-) had a very lowkey "100 Years Special," at"The Hollywood Bowl" & conducted by *J. Williams  AFI only voted on the top  25 though here   Titled "100yrs of Movie Music"

It's winner was "SW" (l977) (*John Williams)

2. *GWTW" (l939-Selsznick/MGM) (Max Steiner-(my pick as all-time greatest composer!)

3. *"Lawrence of Arabia" (l962) (*Maurice Jarre)

4. "Psycho" (l960-Paramount) (Bernhard Herrman)

5th place by AFI *"GFI" (l972) (Carmine Coppola & Nino Rota)

6. "Laura" (l944-Paramount) (David Raksin)

7. "Jaws" (l975) (*J. Williams)

8. "The Magnificent Seven" (1960) (Elmer Bernstein)

9. "Chinatown" (l974) (JerryGoldsmith)

& 10th place in voting "High Noon" (l952-UA) (*Dimitri Tiomkin)

(TRIVIA: had both *Spielberg & *J. Williams on before & *Spielberg voted "Vertigo" & *Williams chooses "*Waterfroint" 

VS. my own top ten:

(tie) "Once Upon a Time in the West" (l969) (*Ennio Morricone) & 1984's "0nce Upon a Time in America" (*Morricone again)

2. "East of Eden" (955) (Leonard Rosenman)

3. "Modern Times" (l936-UA) (due to Chaplin composing the number "Smile")

4. "Jaws"

5th favourite of mine  "Giant" (l956) (*Tiomkin)

6. *"GFI"& GFII" (l972 & 1984)

7. *"0n the Waterfront"

8. *"0ut of Africa" (l985) (*JohnBarry)

9. "Somewhere In Time" (l980) (*J. Barry)

& 10th fav "The Quiet Man" (l952-Republic)

THANKS & FEEL FREE TO COMMENT OF COURSE

I think the two that have accomplish the tasked most perfectly-- and to set the standard-- would be Korngold's Robin Hood and Max Steiner's Gone with the Wind. I also would put Franz Waxman's Sunset Boulevard up there at the top.

My personal favorites are:

Waxman's Sunset Boulevard

The miscellaneous Midnight Cowboy

Maurice Jarre's Lawrence of Arabia

John Barry's Lion in Winter

Henry Mancini's Breakfast at Tiffany's*

And the best which goes along with the best Hitchcock would be " Vertigo"  by Bernard Herrmann.

Hermann's habanera for Carlotta Valdez overwhelms and overtakes the movie to such an extent that it seems as though Hitchcock is taking cues from where Herrmann left off.

* I had the pleasure once of attending a concert where Henry Mancini conducted some of his most famous movie and television works-- which included in Breakfast at Tiffany's in Out of Africa - - but the crowd seem to be most impressed with Remington Steele. LOL

Oh, cripes.  Another subjective "greatest" thread.  :rolleyes:

Of course, different people are going to have far differing opinions, IF of course, they DO base their OWN opinions that are based on their OWN feelings, and not  influenced by their opinions being influenced by what they might have been told those opinions SHOULD be.  :wacko:

A few of mine:

Aaron Copeland's  OF MICE AND MEN score

THE WIZARD OF OZ: Harold Arlen, and Herbert Stothart doing the music.  And I'm talking about the ambient and incidental music, and not the songs(with lyrics by Yip Harburg).

And out of all his "great" scores, the BERNARD HERRMANN score like best is his score for CITIZEN KANE.

And out of all the well noted JOHN WILLIAMS scores, the one of his that I like the best is '72's THE COWBOYS.

THE HUSTLER( '61):  Kenyon Hopkins

More contemporary has me mentioning(again!):

THE BLACK STALLION('79):  Carmine Coppola 

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?( 2001): T Bone Burnett

OCEAN'S ELEVEN(2001): David Holmes

Sepiatone

• Like 1

On 5/19/2018 at 7:41 AM, Sepiatone said:

Oh, cripes.  Another subjective "greatest" thread.  :rolleyes:

Of course, different people are going to have far differing opinions, IF of course, they DO base their OWN opinions that are based on their OWN feelings, and not  influenced by their opinions being influenced by what they might have been told those opinions SHOULD be.  :wacko:

A few of mine:

Aaron Copeland's  OF MICE AND MEN score

*THE WIZARD OF OZ: Harold Arlen, and Herbert Stothart doing the music.  And I'm talking about the ambient and incidental music, and not the songs(with lyrics by Yip Harburg).

And out of all his "great" scores, the BERNARD HERRMANN score like best is his score for CITIZEN KANE.

And out of all the well noted JOHN WILLIAMS scores, the one of his that I like the best is '72's THE COWBOYS.

THE HUSTLER( '61):  Kenyon Hopkins

More contemporary has me mentioning(again!):

THE BLACK STALLION('79):  Carmine Coppola 

O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?( 2001): T Bone Burnett

OCEAN'S ELEVEN(2001): David Holmes

Sepiatone

* I had the original soundtrack Wizard of Oz record for years. It could be the most perfect example of the MGM music department directed by Herbert Stothart.

I think what I always loved the most in the MGM musicals was the MGM Chorus. If you listen to the end of Easter Parade, you can hear how they beautifully sum up the entire Musical-- that always gave me goosebumps.

In The Wizard of Oz, the chorus comes on immediately at the introduction imitating the whirring sound of the Kansas tornadic winds,  which gives this children's movie a bit of a scary,  ominous beginning. Happily this is immediately crushed with a little munchkin theme.

It's a Wonderful Score, which would not have been so wonderful if producer Arthur Freed had not demanded that Judy singing ""Somewhere Over the Rainbow" not be deleted.

• Confused 1

Does that mean that somebody DIDN'T want that song by Judy in the movie?

I never heard of that.  But then I never "studied" it like my grandnephew did.  ;) 

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Does that mean that somebody DIDN'T want that song by Judy in the movie?

I never heard of that.  But then I never "studied" it like my grandnephew did.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Arthur Freed was the main musical producer at MGM  in the forties and fifties. Before that he was a lyricist in a team with composer Nacio Herb Brown-- they wrote all of those MGM Classics like "Singin' in the Rain".

Freed was responsible for all of the great musicals - - but more importantly he was responsible for discovering, nurturing and rediscovering musical talent.

He was the man who brought Fred Astaire back from retirement. And he was the man who brought Vincent Minnelli from Broadway.

As far as Judy was concerned, he's responsible for seeing that she wasn't dropped from MGM-- instead he had them drop Deanna Durbin. LOL

And Freed was the intern producer on The Wizard of Oz. After that he became a credited producer. To the very end he was always advocating for Judy and he was the one who demanded that the song, "  Somewhere Over the Rainbow ", stay in.

The studio heads probably listened to him, not because he was being groomed to be a producer, but because he was a successful lyricist who had written all those MGM Musical songs like" Broadway Melody " and  "You Are My Lucky Star".

The consensus among the studio Big Shots was that "Over the Rainbow" slowed down the action in the movie and for that reason it should cut.

• Thanks 1

Among my favorites scores I'd mention

Sunset Boulevard (1950) Franz Waxman

City Lights (1931) Charlie Chaplin

Psycho (1960) Bernard Herrmann

The Red Shoes (1948) Brian Easdale

Sunrise (1927) Various artists

• Like 1

THANX AGAIN!   It seems motion picture scores are getting more and more taken for granted thesedays especially with contemporary audiences mostly into cgi ,etc

A longtime pal o'mine online Mr. Simon Cherpitel of cinemacom.com=(which also goes in depth on Sight and Sound Survey) loves these BIG-TIME!

If *0rson Welles starred, wrote, directed & produced, *Charlie got him one better by composing his own music, his sole *Oscar victory too, but not until 1972 for "Limelight" (l952 release)

My faves:

Dimitri Tiomkin for Red River, the Guns of Navarrone and theme from I Confess

John Williams for Shindler's List, Harry Potter and without question Suo Gan from Empire of the Sun.

There are many that use bits of classical music or a major theme song that are outstanding, Some one has already mentioned Laura.

Humoresque (1946)

Summertime (1955)

Going Hollywood (1933)

Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)

I've Always Loved You (1946)

A Room with a View (1985)

High Noon (1952)

among the very best

NOW VOYAGER (Max Steiner) has probably the greatest score for a classic melodrama.

Being a Warner Brothers fan, Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold have always been my two favourite film composers.

Favourite Steiner scores would include those for GWTW (1939), Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) and Adventures of Don Juan (1948).

Korngold at his best: Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Sea Hawk (1940) and Kings Row (1941).

Other favourite scores would include Miklos Rozsa for Sunset Boulevard (1950), Bernard Herrmann for Vertigo (1958), Maurice Jarre for Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and a lovely one not as well known, Riz Ortolani for The 7th Dawn (1964)

• Like 1

There are a number of Soundtrack Suites on Youtube you could enjoy listening to.  Start off with Love Is A Many Splendored Thing  or  A Summer Place.

& on an interview between *Spielberg & *John Williams they both voted on their all-time favourite motion picture scores

*Steven went with both "Pinocchio"-(also his favorite movie) & "Vertigo"-(B., Herrmann & ranked #12th by AFI)  & *(John without pause cited *"0n the Waterfront" (Leonard Bernstein)

Just because us fanatics of movies & movie music love it so very much, I'll also submit the rest of the 2006 AFI special/poll   Again it was very lowbrow compared to AFI's other specials & perfectly it was *J. Williams that conducted the entire affair from "The Hollywood Bowl"-(& not televised like the others) only 25 scores were voted on (2006)

1st place "Star Wars" (l977) (C-John Williams)-(WON)

2nd *"GWTW" (1939) (Max Steiner)

3rd *"Lawrence of Arabia" (l962) (Maurice Jarre) (WON)

5th "The Godfather" (l972) (Carmine Coppola & Nino Rota)-(deemed ineligible because it was used in a 1950-'s Italian film)

4th place "Psycho" (l960) (Berhard Herrmann)

6. "Laura" (l944) (David Raksin)

7. "Jaws" (l975) (J. Williams) (WON)

8. "The Magnificent Seven" (l960) (Elmer Bernstein)

9. "Chinatown" (l974) (Jerry Goldsmith)

10th place in AFI''s voting "High Noon" (l952) (Dimitri Tiomkin) (WON)

11th "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (l938) (Erich Wolfgang Korngold) (WON)

12th "Vertigo" (l958) (*Bernard Herrmann)

13th  "King Kong" (l933) (Max Steiner)

14th "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" (l982) (John Williams) (WON)

15th  "Out of Africa" (l985) (John Barry) (& WON)

16th Sunset Blvd" (l950) (Franz Waxman) (WON)

17th  "To Kill a Mockingbird" (l962) (Elmer Bernstein)

18th  "Planet of the Apes" (l968) (J. Goldsmith)

19th "A Streetcar Named Desire" (l95l) (Alex North)

20th "The Pink Panther" (l964) (Henry Mancini)

21st "Ben-0Hur" (l959) (Miklos Rozsa) (WON)

22nd "On the Waterfront" (l954) (Leonard Bernstein)

23rd "The Mission" (l986) (Ennio Morricone)

24th "0n Golden Pond" (l98l) (by Dave Grusin)

& 25th "How the West Was Won" (l963) (Alfred Newman)

*Although Alfred Newman-(l90l-l970) has had his name called up to the Oscars podium the moist of any film composer with (9) victories, who also strongly feels that *Max Steiner-(l888-l97l) was superior?

Extra bit of irony both are laid to rest in the "Great Mausoleum" in Glendale's "Forest Lawn"

Not to take anything away from *Alfred, but he also was able to score all those record nine *Academy awards due to the AMPAS during that era separated drama from musical/comedy

&personally I find it another *AMPAS disgrace that Morricone only finally won at age 87 in 2015 for *Tarentino's Western "Hateful-Eight"

I always enjoyed John Williams' scores. So many of them are as much classics as the movies themselves.

Also like Han Zimmer's scores as well. 

And of course Bernard Herrmann for PSYCHO will go down in history as one of the most iconic movie scores of all time.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:12 PM, spence said:

I may have written abut this superlative topic before, but it's been over 22yrs I think

Next to *Sinatra, my overall favs within the MUSIC are motion picture scores!

AGAIN, I TRULY HOPE W/OWN CANDIDATES THIUS TIME  (Part #1)

In 2006 AFI-(American Film Institute) (est 1967-) had a very lowkey "100 Years Special," at"The Hollywood Bowl" & conducted by *J. Williams  AFI only voted on the top  25 though here   Titled "100yrs of Movie Music"

It's winner was "SW" (l977) (*John Williams)

2. *GWTW" (l939-Selsznick/MGM) (Max Steiner-(my pick as all-time greatest composer!)

3. *"Lawrence of Arabia" (l962) (*Maurice Jarre)

4. "Psycho" (l960-Paramount) (Bernhard Herrman)

5th place by AFI *"GFI" (l972) (Carmine Coppola & Nino Rota)

6. "Laura" (l944-Paramount) (David Raksin)

7. "Jaws" (l975) (*J. Williams)

8. "The Magnificent Seven" (1960) (Elmer Bernstein)

9. "Chinatown" (l974) (JerryGoldsmith)

& 10th place in voting "High Noon" (l952-UA) (*Dimitri Tiomkin)

(TRIVIA: had both *Spielberg & *J. Williams on before & *Spielberg voted "Vertigo" & *Williams chooses "*Waterfroint" 

VS. my own top ten:

(tie) "Once Upon a Time in the West" (l969) (*Ennio Morricone) & 1984's "0nce Upon a Time in America" (*Morricone again)

2. "East of Eden" (955) (Leonard Rosenman)

3. "Modern Times" (l936-UA) (due to Chaplin composing the number "Smile")

4. "Jaws"

5th favourite of mine  "Giant" (l956) (*Tiomkin)

6. *"GFI"& GFII" (l972 & 1984)

7. *"0n the Waterfront"

8. *"0ut of Africa" (l985) (*JohnBarry)

9. "Somewhere In Time" (l980) (*J. Barry)

& 10th fav "The Quiet Man" (l952-Republic)

THANKS & FEEL FREE TO COMMENT OF COURSE

Please do not use abbreviations for first time mention of a movie title.  While I believe that GWTW is Gone With the Wind, have no idea what SW, GF I and GF II are.

On 5/23/2018 at 10:23 PM, Im4movies2 said:

There are a number of Soundtrack Suites on Youtube you could enjoy listening to.  Start off with Love Is A Many Splendored Thing  or  A Summer Place.

youtube is a veritable smorgasborg.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, spence said:

Just because us fanatics of movies & movie music love it so very much, I'll also submit the rest of the 2006 AFI special/poll   Again it was very lowbrow compared to AFI's other specials & perfectly it was *J. Williams that conducted the entire affair from "The Hollywood Bowl"-(& not televised like the others) only 25 scores were voted on (2006)

1st place "Star Wars" (l977) (C-John Williams)-(WON)

2nd *"GWTW" (1939) (Max Steiner)

3rd *"Lawrence of Arabia" (l962) (Maurice Jarre) (WON)

5th "The Godfather" (l972) (Carmine Coppola & Nino Rota)-(deemed ineligible because it was used in a 1950-'s Italian film)

4th place "Psycho" (l960) (Berhard Herrmann)

6. "Laura" (l944) (David Raksin)

7. "Jaws" (l975) (J. Williams) (WON)

8. "The Magnificent Seven" (l960) (Elmer Bernstein)

9. "Chinatown" (l974) (Jerry Goldsmith)

10th place in AFI''s voting "High Noon" (l952) (Dimitri Tiomkin) (WON)

11th "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (l938) (Erich Wolfgang Korngold) (WON)

12th "Vertigo" (l958) (*Bernard Herrmann)

13th  "King Kong" (l933) (Max Steiner)

14th "E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" (l982) (John Williams) (WON)

15th  "Out of Africa" (l985) (John Barry) (& WON)

16th Sunset Blvd" (l950) (Franz Waxman) (WON)

17th  "To Kill a Mockingbird" (l962) (Elmer Bernstein)

18th  "Planet of the Apes" (l968) (J. Goldsmith)

19th "A Streetcar Named Desire" (l95l) (Alex North)

20th "The Pink Panther" (l964) (Henry Mancini)

21st "Ben-0Hur" (l959) (Miklos Rozsa) (WON)

22nd "On the Waterfront" (l954) (Leonard Bernstein)

23rd "The Mission" (l986) (Ennio Morricone)

24th "0n Golden Pond" (l98l) (by Dave Grusin)

& 25th "How the West Was Won" (l963) (Alfred Newman)

how the heck can anyone ignore the incomparable jerry goldsmith's majestic score to star trek the motion picture?...

shoulda won an oscar for best film score of 1979.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, NipkowDisc said:

youtube is a veritable smorgasborg.

youtube, beautiful music score & won more of champ *A. Newman's record (9) victories, though to be fair, due to the fact that for decades Hollywood/AMPAS separated the scoring races, for yrs there were 2 & at one time I believe 3. So *Alfred was under contract to Fox & what is arguabloy thee A #1 all-time greatest motion picture composer: *Max Steiner-(l888-l97l) was at first playing for RKO & then Warner Bros. & *Newman mainly scored musical pix, separated from the other category & this enabled him to take home those (9)  Not to take anything away from him of course-(SEE HIS BELOW VICTORIES)>

1938 *"Alexander's Rag Time Band" (musical/comedy)

1940 *"Tin Pan Alley"-(same type of win)

1943 *"Song of Bernadette" (this was for drama though,. but in retrospect *Steiner's legendary score for *"Casablanca" deserved it)

1947 *"Mother Wore Tights" (musical)

1952 *"With a Song in My Heart" (same)

1953 *"Call Me Madam" (musical win)

1955 *"Love is a Many Splendored Thing" & it's song won too

1956 *"The King & I" (musical victory)

& 1967 "Camelot" (obviously for musical scoring)

His stunningly superb score for 1939's "Hunchback of Notre Dame" may be easily among his tops too

(NOTE/TRIVIA: Ironically, both he *Steiner & *D. Tiomkin are all laid to rest near each other in "The Great Maus." in Glendale's "F. Lawn)

THANKS & PLEASE ALWAYS SEND YOUR INPUT & CORRECTIONS