spence

All-Time Greatest Motion Picture Scores & Composers?

47 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:24 AM, NipkowDisc said:

how the heck can anyone ignore the incomparable jerry goldsmith's majestic score to star trek the motion picture?...

shoulda won an oscar for best film score of 1979.

& was in the 1979 *Oscar race  but they went for what I just LOVE in *G. Delerue's music for the wonderful "A little Romance" instead that year  (P.S. 1979 movies & of course I was just starting to study the M.O.V.I.E.S. history first, was the yr I cut my own teeth in just loving & everything else in motion pictures, past & present  Was only 14-15 at the time)

BEST PICTURE THAT YEAR:

'79 was a strong movie year too   "Apocalypse Now"-(the one that really put the hook in me, though I was too young to go soo it, I did approx. 3 times & within only the last couple of decades are people finally seeing it for what it is)

*"Kramer vs. Kramer"-(all knew it would sweep the *Oscars winning 5, but who talks about it thesedays & even *O. People?' Both exceptional films (****-stars!) both more like great tv movies instead & especially vs. sooo many others )

"All That Jazz" (didn't go to it then, but later rented it A LOT! An aqcuired taste, I rank it among the 10 b4est musicals ever made to date!)

"B. Away" (***1/2) (very good, but I think others were better that year)

& "Norma Rae" (***1/2) (got to go to this one & I wager *Sally will never be greater.)

& the one's that got away that pivotal; movie year of 1979>

"Being There" (absolutely brilliant & again on every level possible. Hard to believe *J. Kozinski's writing was left out?)

"Manhattan" (my runner-=up favorite *"Woodman" picture. He was snubbed of another BD nod & cinematographers posted outside the auditorium in protest that it's B & W cinematography was left out)

"The Black Stallion" (just aired again o this network & next to "Apocalypse..." I remember it being Ebert's fav. of this year)

(TRIVIA: *Ron Howard was on a talk shot & said his 2 favs that year were "A Little Romance" & "Seduction of Joe Tynan")

& a couple of others

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, TomJH said:

Being a Warner Brothers fan, Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold have always been my two favourite film composers.

Favourite Steiner scores would include those for GWTW (1939), Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) and Adventures of Don Juan (1948).

Korngold at his best: Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Sea Hawk (1940) and Kings Row (1941).

Other favourite scores would include Miklos Rozsa for Sunset Boulevard (1950), Bernard Herrmann for Vertigo (1958), Maurice Jarre for Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and a lovely one not as well known, Riz Ortolani for The 7th Dawn (1964)

Thanx, never even knew of this one

Just now, spence said:

Don't get me started of "Madre's" now classic & tremendous & now almost legendary score, again by *Steiner. He actually lost that year to "The Red Shows" instead & dig this, it was not even in that particular race either? Another that was was his work in "J. Belinda" & again they snubbed "Key Largo's" power house music?

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, TheCid said:

Please do not use abbreviations for first time mention of a movie title.  While I believe that GWTW is Gone With the Wind, have no idea what SW, GF I and GF II are.

I understand I do it for a myriad of reasons.  Long habit, many books from my library & it also may draw more attention to said subject matter. PLUS, I have a hard time posting in bold

ElCid, what are some of your fav. music scores?

15 minutes ago, spence said:

*"LAWRENCE" just continues to draw in many ways with each passing year. I've written about this many times & on many other sites, that the sadly now gone & tremendous "Premiere magazine" (l987-2002) had a survey of it's editing team & all voted 0'Toole's work in that epic as the all-around greatest performance ever put on film, by an actor & actress!

& on a current HBO special on *Spielberg he insisted that bio/epic was without a doubt among his biggest influences starting out.

Though it did drop down #2 notches in AFI's 2007 (revised) survey of the top films of all-time at #7th?

This was #5th in the first from '98

I suspected at the time GWTW was also dropped down to #6th place due to our disgusting pc culture today & turned out correct on this matter.   A lotta' even classic old theaters now refuse to show it ever again now?

After only a couple more yrs GWTW will be treated liker BIRTH OF A NATION & even SONG OF THE SOUTH

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, spence said:

I understand I do it for a myriad of reasons.  Long habit, many books from my library & it also may draw more attention to said subject matter. PLUS, I have a hard time posting in bold

ElCid, what are some of your fav. music scores?

If speaking only of main themes or one "song" from movies: Body Heat, Exodus, Driving Miss Daisy, Route 66 (TV), A Summer Place, Patton Theme and most earlier James Bonds.  Most by Henry Mancini, John Barry, Hugo Montenegro.  I'm sure there would be others if I though about it or went and started pulling CD's.

Also The Big Chill, American Graffiti, Stand By Me, Forest Gump and similar.  But those are compilations of rock music from the 50's and 60's.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheCid said:

If speaking only of main themes or one "song" from movies: Body Heat, Exodus, Driving Miss Daisy, Route 66 (TV), A Summer Place, Patton Theme and most earlier James Bonds.  Most by Henry Mancini, John Barry, Hugo Montenegro.  I'm sure there would be others if I though about it or went and started pulling CD's.

Also The Big Chill, American Graffiti, Stand By Me, Forest Gump and similar.  But those are compilations of rock music from the 50's and 60's.

ElCid, you picked a couple music heavyweights    *J. Barry in particular composed some of the all-time greatest & most beautiful scores-(just too listen to, without even watching to film alongside it)

(TRIVIA: To all, what (5) *Oscars did *Barry take home & now, not looking it up first IT MUST COME FROM THE HEAD!!!)

5 minutes ago, spence said:

ElCid, you picked a couple music heavyweights    *J. Barry in particular composed some of the all-time greatest & most beautiful scores-(just too listen to, without even watching to film alongside it)

(TRIVIA: To all, what (5) *Oscars did *Barry take home & now, not looking it up first IT MUST COME FROM THE HEAD!!!)

I cheated.  Ironically I only like one of the Oscar winners and nominations.

51 minutes ago, spence said:

After only a couple more yrs GWTW will be treated liker BIRTH OF A NATION & even SONG OF THE SOUTH

and will tcm come to the defense against any future bashing of GWTW?

imagine the people running tcm reacting to a charge of their many showings of it means that they must be racists especially if tcm were to indicate any continued desire to still show it.

:lol:

57 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Probably my favorite soundtrack-

WOW, you have an avatar of LAURA PALMER,  HOW ...…..COOL!   It immediately drew me to your posting!!!

Before this topic, are you a fellow TWIN PEAKS nut???   If so let me know, if not here then drop me a line on FACEBOOK-(under Spencer Shannon) or even as tons do my own e mail address at (jeffshannon50@gmail.com) I gotta' update that because I;m going on 54 in November

I was literally mesmerized by Lynch's series in 1990/91  Even getting that incredible soundtrack by Angelo Badalamenti & even had top listen to it daily before going out to see my girl at the time.   Unfortunately the 1992 film version hit the floor, only raking in about $4 million. At the time I gave it only (*1/2) but later saw it a lot more & STILL THAT MUSIC BY ANGELO-(which truly deserved an *Academy Award nomination) Don't think it quote as bad & now (**-out of 4)  WHAT HAPPENED TO RAY WISE-(Leland Palmer) & I won bets as tons were doping back then on whop the killer was, won't divulge it here, but did you also hit the bullseye? & whats your view of the current series-(IT'S NOT OVER EITHER) TP: THE RETURN?    I anxiously anticipate your replies, fellow fanatic

But back to business, though that was in the scoring in those flix by now a very old man-(IF STILL ALIVE, I GOTTA' CHECK) Badalamenti   Never yet saw LAVENDER HILL MOB, but *Alec Guinness did snag his 1st of 4 nods for it & it won writing statuette

THANK YOU   (Agent Cooper)

(P.S. I've always felt it since very first viewing of tv's TP in 1990, it was a somewhat sister to Lynch's brilliant yet not for everyone 1986 BLUE VELVET & then I saw recent shows that backed my theory up)

• Like 1

WELL, SPORTS FANS-(a line from a movie) THEY DID IT AGAIN TO ME ALMOST THE 4th TIME TONIGHT, I WROTE SOMETHING & WAS FINISDHED & WENT TO POST IT & THEY HAD ME RE-REGISTER AGAIN, IN THE MEANTIME SAID POST WAS DELETED???

I'LL TRY AGAIN_(thanks administrators) I posted my top 10 all-time personal fav. motion picture scores hoping for 2 things, you cinema savvy folks would then cast yours, only a few listed a few though?) Plus, to post mine what AFI had voted in in 2006 & so I thought I'd just add to something AFI did not or almost certainly will also did, a list-(poll) of the finest composers in cinematic history  Anyway, I'll throw mine in (AGAIN anyway just for fun & not the top 10-(too tedious) just the top 5 favorite's of mine> A NO. #1 is *MAX STEINER-=(l888-l971)-(just look at his track record:  KONG  THE INFORMER-(won), CAPTAIN BLOOD, CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES, GWTW, DARK VICTORY, THE LETTER, HIGH SIERRA, NOW, VOYAGER-(won), CASABLANCA, SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (won his 3rd & final time), THE BIG SLEEP, TREASAURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, KEY LARGO, CAIN MUTINY-(his own favorite), THE SEARCHERS & a ton more!,  #2 *J. WILLIAMS-(& still doing his thing at 86! He & *Spielberg must be joined at the hip), #3rd ENNIO MORRICONE-(l928-) Outrageously ignored be his peers & finally got recognition at an *AMPAS record of age 87 for 05's HATEFUl-0RIGHT), #4 BERHARD HERRMANN-(l9ll-75)-(didn't live long of course & his sole *Oscar win was for 19431's ALL THAT MONEY CAN BY ironically the same year he did KANE) & 5th *ALFRED NERWMAN-(l90l-l970)-(solely included because he's the champ with nine wins)

(CAN'T FORGET SOME TRIVIA FUN=-(if it logs?) WHAT COMPOSER SWEPT THE ENTIRE MUSIC CATEGORY & AN *AMPAS RECORD THAT STILL STANDS FOR 1973?   NOW, AGAIN NO LOKING IT UP, GOTTA' COME DIRECTLY FROM THE BRAIN)

THANKS AGAIN

I love soundtracks and a lot of my favorites have been mentioned already here's some more of my favorites:

• The Tales Of Hoffmann
  • The Changeling (1980)
  • Romeo & Juliet (1968)
  • Spartacus
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Amadeus (I know it's cheating)
  • Cinema Paradiso
  • The Mission
  • Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • House of Flying Daggers

Individual pieces:

• Zbigniew Preisner - Lacrimosa from "Tree Of Life"
  • Carl Orff - Gassenhauer from "Badlands"
  • Deborah's Theme from "Once Upon A Time In America"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, umop apisdn said:

I love soundtracks and a lot of my favorites have been mentioned already here's some more of my favorites:

• The Tales Of Hoffmann
  • The Changeling (1980)
  • Romeo & Juliet (1968)
  • Spartacus
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Amadeus (I know it's cheating)
  • Cinema Paradiso
  • The Mission
  • Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  • House of Flying Daggers

Individual pieces:

• Zbigniew Preisner - Lacrimosa from "Tree Of Life"
  • Carl Orff - Gassenhauer from "Badlands"
  • Deborah's Theme from "Once Upon A Time In America"

4 stars toy you pal you submitted your personal favs in the history of motion picture scores!!!  & on my A31 fav foreign-language film 1989';s CINEMA PARIDISO=-(yet another from *Ennio Morricone) & 1986's THE MISSION also by Ennio, which I wrongly predicted as did my pundit pals it would win that category that yr instead they voted for *Herbie Hancock & ROUND MIDNIGHT instead

AFI also had another poll/survey on all-time greatest movie songs & I'd have to look it up, but do not at this moment remember that list  I do think "Moon River" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was among to very top though

& I reckon nobody answered just 1 of my trivia questions-(OUGHTTA BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES)

1 of them was what famed composer swept all 3 of the scoring/music categories for '73?

*Harvin Hamlisch won all 3 categories 1 for THE STING & the 2 more for his scoring & writing the song THE WAY WE WERE  & another for it's coring. 

Another important question & on this marvelous & ever important topic! 

& as usual no cheating & or looking this facts up first!   "The Master" *Charles (Spencer ) Chaplin won 1 competitive *Academy Award is his ultra long & ground breaking career  What was it for=-(the film) &it's year it finally won for Best Scoring???

I know this one! He won for best film score for LIMELIGHT, and it was awarded in 1972 because the film wasn't eligible in 1952 since it hadn't had a Los Angeles release.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:28 PM, TomJH said:

Being a Warner Brothers fan, Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold have always been my two favourite film composers.

Favourite Steiner scores would include those for GWTW (1939), Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) and Adventures of Don Juan (1948).

Korngold at his best: Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), The Sea Hawk (1940) and Kings Row (1941).

Other favourite scores would include Miklos Rozsa for Sunset Boulevard (1950), Bernard Herrmann for Vertigo (1958), Maurice Jarre for Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and a lovely one not as well known, Riz Ortolani for The 7th Dawn (1964)

Steiner and Korngold are my favorite film composers, although I have a weakness for a few of Alfred Newman's scores, particularly Wuthering Heights, All About Eve, Captain from Castile, and The Razor's Edge.  By the way, John Williams has said in interviews that he deliberately "quotes" and pays homage to Korngold's scores for the Flynn films in scores for action movies like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

8 minutes ago, rosebette said:

Steiner and Korngold are my favorite film composers, although I have a weakness for a few of Alfred Newman's scores, particularly Wuthering Heights, All About Eve, Captain from Castile, and The Razor's Edge.  By the way, John Williams has said in interviews that he deliberately "quotes" and pays homage to Korngold's scores for the Flynn films in scores for action movies like Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Because of the stirring, often beautiful musical accompaniment that Errol Flynn films had, thanks to Korngold and Steiner working at Warners, I've always felt that he probably had more outstanding music in his films than any other star of the '30s and '40s. Only Bette Davis might come close, though Ty Power had a lot of lovely work from Alfred Newman.

Korngold-Flynn films: Captain Blood, Prince and the Pauper, Another Dawn, Robin Hood, Elizabeth and Essex, Sea Hawk, Escape Me Never.

Steiner-Flynn films unclude: Charge of the Light Brigade, Dodge City, They Died With Their Boots On, San Antonio (largely a reprise of Dodge City), Adventures of Don Juan.

Although Bernard Herrmann did rip off some melodic themes from Wagner in his "Tristan and Isolde" I really enjoy the score for "Vertigo". I love hearing it as the movie proceeds and I own the cd and play it in my car sometimes while I am driving around. There is a lot of musicality in the film, with nods to Debussy and Ravel and even the bit about Mozart perhaps helping Scottie overcome his depression, but overall I think Herrmann's compositions really make the film come alive. Great topic!