rayban

Which One Is The Best?

41 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:21 PM, rayban said:

Marlene Dietrich, great and unique, was Josef von Sternberg's muse - he created fantastic landscapes for her.

To watch any of their films together is to be "transported" to another realm.

What would he be without her?

He might not have existed.

I have noticed, however, that her men are not "strong".

Perhaps this was a deliberate choice on his part.

Fearing that a much stronger actor might push him out of the way.

He probably didn't want the competition.

That she is so much stronger a screen presence than her male leads is a very interesting fact, I think.

Perhaps he encouraged her latent bisexuality on screen.

Signalling to the male members of her audience that they really couldn't have her.

She was her own woman.

And signalling to the women in the audience that she wasn't really "possessable".

No one man could own her.

Bo5CM-kCQAE-gAA.jpg-large.jpeg

I would contend that 'pittsburgh' with john wayne a noticeable exception to that rule.

Image result for pittsburgh john wayne marlene dietrich

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Concerning Marlene Dietrich it would be more accurate to say--

no one man nor no one woman could own her.

But I think there were two men who simply drove her crazy: Yul Brynner and Jean Gabin.

Jean Gabin  is the most acclaimed French film actor of the first half of the 20th century.

Dietrich begged him to marry her, but after the war Dietrich was too old to have children. Gabin had wanted a family.

In 1949 the French actor married a beautiful Lanvin Parisian model,  Dominique Fournier. Dominique gave him three children,two girls and a boy. They remained married at the time of Gabin's death in 1976. Mme  Gabin died in 2002, much revered by the French public as the Widow of one of their greatest film actors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rayban said:

Such a shame, Jean Gabin would've transformed her.

020-marlene-dietrich-and-jean-gabin-ther

This couple reminds me a little bit of Tyrone Power and the French actress, Annabella. What a beautiful couple they were!

And oh, how Darryl F Zanuck was against them!

• Like 2

"Martin Roumagnac" - a film by Georges Lacombe - starring Marlene Dietrich and Jean Gabin -

this tragic love story should be better-known -

perhaps its' distribution in this country was limited -

but, together, as the lovers, Dietrich and Gabin are sexual dynamite -

I don't want to discuss the details of the plot, because I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's enjoyment -

but Gabin plays an uneducated man, a building contractor who falls in love with a dazzling beauty, Dietrich, who has a questionable past -

things go very well for them - until Dietrich gets the opportunity to marry a wealthy suitor whose wife has just died -

Gabin can't cope with it -

there's a great twist involving Gabin's sister, who loves him too much and an admirer of Dietrich's, Daniel Gelin, who has to do what he must do, allowing for one hell of a finish -

greatly recommended for the "dynamic duo" - who were alive and vibrant in 1946 -

MartinRoumagnac1946.88626_042520180906.j

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You couldn't go wrong with those two films.

Lately, I like her very much in "The Spoilers".

Marlene Dietrich could have had a career in French films.

She spoke French beautifully.

At least, she and Jean Gabin could have become a screen team.

Their rapport was so "real".

Blonde Venus is my favorite.  She has this wonderful Madonna/**** quality.  Somehow, even when she is at her lowest, grubby and riding in a haywagon, she is as beautiful as when she's bejeweled in a nightclub.  I find the whole mother love story rather moving.  Plus, Cary Grant....  

10 hours ago, rosebette said:

Blonde Venus is my favorite.  She has this wonderful Madonna/**** quality.  Somehow, even when she is at her lowest, grubby and riding in a haywagon, she is as beautiful as when she's bejeweled in a nightclub.  I find the whole mother love story rather moving.  Plus, Cary Grant....  

And Herbert Marshall, her true love and, of course, Dickie Moore.

My favorite is The Blue Angel.  But I agree with TopBilled in that there was a chilliness to her persona, rather remote, and a level of self-consciousness that oddly, was not entirely off-putting.  Marlene seemed to enjoy teasing her audience.  I found Garbo the more sensual of the two. Marlene became more compelling in her later roles, particularly Witness for the Prosecution and Touch of Evil.  Either way, she was utterly unique.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rayban said:

And Herbert Marshall, her true love and, of course, Dickie Moore.

Oh gosh, they blanked out that word in my post!  I thought it was a common literary trope, not a cuss word.  If I were Marlene, in that one, I'd have returned, taken Dickie out of the crib, and then joined Cary!

Rosemarie

1 hour ago, rosebette said:

Oh gosh, they blanked out that word in my post!  I thought it was a common literary trope, not a cuss word.  If I were Marlene, in that one, I'd have returned, taken Dickie out of the crib, and then joined Cary!

Rosemarie

WHAT was censored????

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

WHAT was censored????

I used the word beginning with w to describe a woman of easy virtue.  It's often paired with Madonna in literary criticism and gender studies.

• Thanks 1

It's funny, but, in the film that Marlene Dietrich made with Jean Gabin, a character refers to her as a "****".

And she doesn't hide the fact that she has a questionable past.

In fact, at the very beginning of the film, she is involved with two different men.

Before Jean Gabin arrives on the scene.

But no woman of easy virture ever sparkled so brightly.

You wouldn't want her to be "sexless".

Nor could she be "sexless".

It was already a definite part of her screen persona.

12 hours ago, rosebette said:

I used the word beginning with w to describe a woman of easy virtue.  It's often paired with Madonna in literary criticism and gender studies.

Thanks for clearing that up! :D