clarklk

Gloria Swanson

5 posts in this topic

I saw "Sunset Boulevard" again recently (TCM Big Screen showing) and the viewing got me interested in Gloria Swanson.  I also recently saw a video of her on the Dick Cavett show from the early 70's.  She seems to have been a very interesting person.  I'd like to try and find some of her silent movies.  I believe many of them have been lost.  Is anyone able to suggest any good examples of her silent movies that are still available.

thank you,

Clark Kinser

22 minutes ago, clarklk said:

I saw "Sunset Boulevard" again recently (TCM Big Screen showing) and the viewing got me interested in Gloria Swanson.  I also recently saw a video of her on the Dick Cavett show from the early 70's.  She seems to have been a very interesting person.  I'd like to try and find some of her silent movies.  I believe many of them have been lost.  Is anyone able to suggest any good examples of her silent movies that are still available.

thank you,

Clark Kinser

I've seen Male and Female (1919), an early hit for C.B. DeMille, based on The Admirable Crichton. It's a good example of her early work.

Sadie Thompson (1928) is another good one. It's been filmed many times, such as Rain (1932) and Miss Sadie Thompson (1953).

The Trespasser (1929) isn't silent, but it's worth checking out. She was nominated for Best Actress for it.

She made 41 films between 1918 and 1930. According to her filmography on wiki, 19 of them are currently lost. Meaning 22 of them survive. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Swanson#Filmography

TCM played BEYOND THE ROCKS (1922) a few years ago. I rather enjoyed it so I would recommend it. TCM also aired THE TRESPASSER, back in 2011, shortly after it had been restored. It was originally released in both a silent and a talkie version.

Many of Swanson's Paramount films are lost, but there are still plenty of silent films to see, many on Amazon.

These are available from various sources: Sifting Sands, Male and Female, Don't Change Your Husband, Why Change Your Wife, Something to Think Abut, The Affairs of Anatol, Beyond the Rocks, For Better for Worse, Manhandled, Stage Struck, Fine Manners, Queen Kelly, Sadie Thompson, The Love of Sunya, and Zaza.

Recent BLU/DVD releases for Zaza, Stage Struck, and Manhandled, and I did a Kickstarter for For Better for Worse a few years ago.

The Humming Bird exists at Library of Congress but may not be in great shape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clarklk...have you read her autobiography, "Swanson on Swanson"? It's an engaging book, all 500+ pages. She is not very kind to Wallace Berry, who was not a very good husband to her. But there are thoughts, reminiscences and names to, well, fill a book. Her recollection at the age of 81 is remarkable. So many of her films are noted; reading about the directors, fellow actors, friends and crew while making the films, makes for a great read. Highly recommended!