Sign in to follow this  
bocalovestheclassics

This Month on TCM: May 2018. Did I miss it?

16 posts in this topic

We are in the last 2 weeks of May, and I have not yet seen Turner Classics highlights of what is coming on in May 2018. I have seen all the other monthly tidbits and the Wine Club ads. Have they shown it? or are they phrasing it out?

A May highlights promo was never shown so, no, you did not miss it.  And, it would seem, these monthly promos really are hit or miss!

Such a shame since it was a great month with Marlena D and the spotlight on movie series.  They could have done a really fun promo.  However, it's been practically forever since they did specific SOTM promos (I miss those) so the Month's Highlights Promos are probably next on the "let's not bother anymore" list at TCM.  After all, then it can be Backlot/Wine Club promos non-stop!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lydecker, do you think they drink before shooting all the wine club ads?

It might add some spice also to have instead of Eddie Muller, perhaps some of the wine producers like Francis Ford Coppola, which would enhance the ads appeal.

I'm waiting for the Christopher Walken Sauvignon Blanc to be produced and sold at TCM. They should also include a cow bell with any purchase, with the TCM insignia on it. It would be a great embellishment to snacks consumed while watching "The Deer Hunter" doncha think?

52 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Lydecker, do you think they drink before shooting all the wine club ads?

It might add some spice also to have instead of Eddie Muller, perhaps some of the wine producers like Francis Ford Coppola, which would enhance the ads appeal.

I'm waiting for the Christopher Walken Sauvignon Blanc to be produced and sold at TCM. They should also include a cow bell with any purchase, with the TCM insignia on it. It would be a great embellishment to snacks consumed while watching "The Deer Hunter" doncha think?

I figure Ben probably opted out of doing the "Wine Club Shilling" when he signed his last contract.  I hear ya about Francis Ford Coppola but he probably has too much class to stoop to selling stuff like "Dean Martin Wine" on TCM.  

I feel for Eddie Muller (who clearly is a smart, talented guy) being stuck doing the ads but at least he doesn't seem as uncomfortable doing them as Ben did.  I love how the new promotional approach is that "Wine is OK for Regular People"  (Wow, you can even have popcorn with your wine!) as though the reason folks don't join the Wine Club is because they were turned off by the promos done with the "wine experts." I don't think so!  People don't join the Wine Club because they think it's a stupid promotional ploy which has nothing to do with classic movies.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lydecker said:

I figure Ben probably opted out of doing the "Wine Club Shilling" when he signed his last contract.  I hear ya about Francis Ford Coppola but he probably has too much class to stoop to selling stuff like "Dean Martin Wine" on TCM.  

I feel for Eddie Muller (who clearly is a smart, talented guy) being stuck doing the ads but at least he doesn't seem as uncomfortable doing them as Ben did.  I love how the new promotional approach is that "Wine is OK for Regular People"  (Wow, you can even have popcorn with your wine!) as though the reason folks don't join the Wine Club is because they were turned off by the promos done with the "wine experts." I don't think so!  People don't join the Wine Club because they think it's a stupid promotional ploy which has nothing to do with classic movies.  

Gee, I would bet Eddie Muller is happy to be doing the ads for some more moola. His writing as an author is not very memorable or of the calibre of a Chandler or Hammett, so I think it is great of TCM to give him a job to bring money in, since pulp fiction isn't what it used to be. And being a shill with all that faux noir stuff like fedoras and cuff links on his Noir Internet sites must get tiring, so he probably needs to imbibe occasionally.

I never got the feeling that any of the "wine experts" were very "expert" so using the spiel, "Wine is fine for regular folks" seems to hit just the right mark, albeit low. Too bad George Sanders is not still alive, since he would be the wine connoisseur extolling its virtues, that I would really enjoy seeing on TCM, but alas, Muller is no Sanders! But I do admire TCM for giving him a job, so kudos to them.

• Haha 1

Ok, I am glad I didn't snooze while the May attractions were being shown. But I want to snooze during their wine ads. Wine always makes me sleepy.

• Like 1

Going further out on the tangent, they could suggest drinking games to go along with the Wine Club, such as taking a swig any time Russian Roulette comes up during The Deer Hunter, etc.

(Thanks for the inspiration, CaveGirl.)

Sorry if this nonsense gets the thread shut down.

11 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Going further out on the tangent, they could suggest drinking games to go along with the Wine Club, such as taking a swig any time Russian Roulette comes up during The Deer Hunter, etc.

(Thanks for the inspiration, CaveGirl.)

Sorry if this nonsense gets the thread shut down.

Good one.  And, I pray the Moderators have some sense of humor about all of this.  (They certainly didn't about any criticism of the Ms. Vazquez!)

I think they just started doing the monthly theme segments in March 2017, so that would be a short life for a TCM tradition.

Other things that stand out that have been dropped over time, probably due to cost, include the TCM Young Film Composers Competition to compose scores for the many silent films sitting in the vaults that are intact but do not have a score (I think that they stopped this around 2007) and the announcer voice over when they show the names of the next three films being shown and maybe what the theme of the day is. I also noticed that they didn't do "Live From the 2018 TCM Film Festival" segments this year. One tradition that I think they've stopped just because of Robert O's death is the weekly Essentials, mainly because there is just nobody qualified that they can get to do it. I hope that they never feel that the classic shorts are disposable, but then they need some way to fill in the time between quarter hour points other than Backlot/Wine commercials.

Sometimes I just feel that we, the live viewers, are becoming the plebes to TCM management, and that they are after the wealthier demographic who can afford/want a case of wine shipped to them monthly for the rest of their lives and can afford Backlot memberships and the annual film festivals.

• Sad 1

Wow. May, 1999 promo on TCM.  Wonderfully written and produced including original lyrics and music, all for a "This Month on TCM" promo. No Wine Club shilling, No Back Lot BS.   Those were the days . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/26/2018 at 7:41 PM, yanceycravat said:

Looks like June has a Monthly highlights segment!

I know this is really late but I finally caught the TCM highlights segment for June (I tend to not pay attention to the material in between the movies).  The choice of haunting music together with the multiple iconic images from the June films makes for a stunning combination, and another well-done promo.  Here is a sample link for the song artist Melanie De Biasio if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0We6e7bZfA