SteveQL

My Favorite Brunette print

20 posts in this topic

'My Favorite Brunette' 1947 which aired this morning 5/29/18 was unwatchable --- washed out and dark print in both HD and SD.  I had it on both TVs.  But, half way through converted to watchable clear print.  However, at end of movie and this is bizarre ------- Columbia emblem appeared (was originally released by Paramount) and under emblem a Coca-Cola banner(yes, the beverage).  I researched and discovered movie went into public domain years ago and countless  prints have been generated.  Many denoted as poor quality. Has not appeared yet on TCM On Demand.  Thus, I hope if it does won't be the same print aired today.

Any,  others watch or try to?

Thank you,

 

SteveQ

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SteveQL said:

'My Favorite Brunette' 1947 which aired this morning 5/29/18 was unwatchable --- washed out and dark print in both HD and SD.  I had it on both TVs.  But, half way through converted to watchable clear print.  However, at end of movie and this is bizarre ------- Columbia emblem appeared (was originally released by Paramount) and under emblem a Coca-Cola banner(yes, the beverage).  I researched and discovered movie went into public domain years ago and countless  prints have been generated.  Many denoted as poor quality. Has not appeared yet on TCM On Demand.  Thus, I hope if it does won't be the same print aired today.

This happens almost all the time when TCM plays movies that are in the public domain. Surprised you've just noticed it.

***

The worst ones, including MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE are:

THE LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER...which they will air on Gary Cooper's day in August. It's washed out and you can see random pieces of hair on screen that probably burned into the film negative. It should be left off the schedule if they can't find a decent print.

THE NORTH STAR...horrendous dark/blurry print they always show. And this one is on the August schedule for Dana Andrews' day.

THE LITTLE PRINCESS...another one where they always air a substandard print. It's on the schedule in August for Anita Louise's day. The print is occasionally blurry, and the colors when you can see them clearly are over-saturated.

THE STRANGE WOMAN...starring Hedy Lamarr...there is a restored copy; but TCM seldom plays it; they tend to go with the raggedy public domain copy that has weird jump cuts and goes from too dark to washed out and back.

Another one, which may not be in the public domain, is 20th Century Fox's 1937 drama WINGS OF THE MORNING which obviously has not been restored. When TCM airs it, the colors are so garish and they bleed together on screen to the point where you can't even tell where one actor's body ends and another actor's body begins.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This happens almost all the time when TCM plays movies that are in the public domain. Surprised you've just noticed it.

***

The worst ones, including MY FAVORITE BRUNETTE are:

THE LIVES OF A BENGAL LANCER...which they will air on Gary Cooper's day in August. It's washed out and you can see random pieces of hair on screen that probably burned into the film negative. It should be left off the schedule if they can't find a decent print.

THE NORTH STAR...horrendous dark/blurry print they always show. And this one is on the August schedule for Dana Andrews' day.

THE LITTLE PRINCESS...another one where they always air a substandard print. It's on the schedule in August for Anita Louise's day. The print is occasionally blurry, and the colors when you can see them clearly are over-saturated.

THE STRANGE WOMAN...starring Hedy Lamarr...there is a restored copy; but TCM seldom plays it; they tend to go with the raggedy public domain copy that has weird jump cuts and goes from too dark to washed out and back.

Another one, which may not be in the public domain, is 20th Century Fox's 1937 drama WINGS OF THE MORNING which obviously has not been restored. When TCM airs it, the colors are so garish and they bleed together on screen to the point where you can't even tell where one actor's body ends and another actor's body begins.

 

doan forget FRENCHMAN'S CREEK, a film tcm is not likely to sponsor a limited theatrical release for considering the lousy print they show.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SteveQL said:

'My Favorite Brunette' 1947 which aired this morning 5/29/18 was unwatchable --- washed out and dark print in both HD and SD.  I had it on both TVs.  But, half way through converted to watchable clear print.  However, at end of movie and this is bizarre ------- Columbia emblem appeared (was originally released by Paramount) and under emblem a Coca-Cola banner(yes, the beverage).  I researched and discovered movie went into public domain years ago and countless  prints have been generated.  Many denoted as poor quality. Has not appeared yet on TCM On Demand.  Thus, I hope if it does won't be the same print aired today.

Any,  others watch or try to?

Thank you,

 

SteveQ

 

I did watch. I have yet to see a good print of this film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

doan forget FRENCHMAN'S CREEK, a film tcm is not likely to sponsor a limited theatrical release for considering the lousy print they show.

I didn't think the FRENCHMAN'S CREEK print was too-too bad. And they aired it several times that year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

 

I didn't think the FRENCHMAN'S CREEK print was too-too bad. And they aired it several times that year.

admittedly, it was watchable but it certainly is not what I woulda called vibrant.

heck, even Blackbeard the Pirate looks better than that.

:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) aired this morning completely washed out  nearly pure white.  I don't know if in public domain.  I immediately switched to other channels and all perfect.  I have no idea why such a deplorable print.  I wonder if TCM has a choice of prints.

Anyone else watch or attempt to?

I doubt it will be uploaded to On Demand.

SteveQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

admittedly, it was watchable but it certainly is not what I woulda called vibrant.

Going back to the OP's comments, I think the public domain prints should be kept to a minimum on TCM. Lousy prints do not lead to any sort of quality viewing experience. And I especially think public domain prints should not be used at all during 31 Days of August. That's a time when a star receives a special tribute, so the idea should be to present them where they look their best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveQL said:

Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) aired this morning completely washed out  nearly pure white.  I don't know if in public domain.  I immediately switched to other channels and all perfect.  I have no idea why such a deplorable print.  I wonder if TCM has a choice of prints.

Anyone else watch or attempt to?

I doubt it will be uploaded to On Demand.

SteveQ

The Bulldog Drummond prints were recently restored by Criterion. And TCM has shown the Criterion prints. So there is no excuse for them to be using inferior prints for that series. They're either being very cheap or someone's asleep at the wheel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Going back to the OP's comments, I think the public domain prints should be kept to a minimum on TCM. Lousy prints do not lead to any sort of quality viewing experience. And I especially think public domain prints should not be used at all during 31 Days of August. That's a time when a star receives a special tribute, so the idea should be to present them at their best.

I sure wished tcm had honored Christopher Lee's passing by showing the BFI restored cut of Hammer Studios' Dracula.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

 itThe Bulldog Drummond prints were recently restored by Criterion. And TCM has shown the Criterion prints. So there is no excuse for them to be using inferior prints for that series. They're either being very cheap or someone's asleep at the wheel. 

cheap because if an outfit like tcm wanted to be ceaseless in their efforts to show the finest available print of a film, they would.

they're just being cheap and what can we do about it other than complain on these boards which they may not frequent quite as much as any of us would like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

cheap because if an outfit like tcm wanted to be ceaseless in their efforts to show the finest available print of a film, they would.

they're just being cheap and what can we do about other than complain on these boards which they may not frequent quite as much as any of us would like.

I don't like using the boards to bash TCM or its programming department. It feels like bad manners, since this is their website and we are guests. But I do think it's good the OP has created this thread to raise awareness. If the programmers do read the comments, then maybe some improvements can be made to limit the use of public domain prints, especially during big months like August and February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doan see much point in bashing tcm either as I recognize it to be an effort in futility.

:D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SteveQL said:

Any,  others watch or try to

I didn't see it this time but I once had a horrible print of this on VHS. It really hurt my enjoyment of it, the picture was faded and the sound was off, hard to catch a lot of Hope's quips.

But memorable for scenes like Peter Lorre's knife throwing and Hope telling Lon Chaney Jr that he will buy him a rabbit. Biggest laugh was Hope in the chandelier and finding a bottle of booze. "Oh Ray Milland's been here!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I adjusted my controls on the TV settings which is fine for viewing

this movie on TCM.

At this time,YouTube has this movie available.

The opening Logo is different from the one shown on TCM.

1665229754_ScreenShot2018-05-30at12_27_06PM.png.8b07a897de5ff0feac191554bc2c003b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per TCM's program guide and our best reference (MCOH), The Return of Bulldog Drummond (1934) shown at 4 am ET this morning was a TCM premiere.  I only watched it for a few minutes because it was a very sub-standard presentation.  (It looked to be poorly digitized and the audio was off.)  If Criterion has a good print available on Filmstruck, that makes this all the more disappointing.  (The same version is showing on WatchTCM if anyone wants to see what I am talking about.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I was commenting on Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) not The Return of Bulldog Drummond (1934)

Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) aired this morning completely washed out  nearly pure white.  I don't know if in public domain.  I immediately switched to other channels and all perfect.  I have no idea why such a deplorable print.  I wonder if TCM has a choice of prints.

Anyone else watch or attempt to?

I doubt it will be uploaded to On Demand.

SteveQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SteveQL said:

 

I was commenting on Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) not The Return of Bulldog Drummond (1934)

Bulldog Drummond at Bay (1937) aired this morning completely washed out  nearly pure white.  I don't know if in public domain.  I immediately switched to other channels and all perfect.  I have no idea why such a deplorable print.  I wonder if TCM has a choice of prints.

Anyone else watch or attempt to?

I doubt it will be uploaded to On Demand.

SteveQ

Yes, I realize you were referencing a different film.  I wanted to mention the 1934 film as well since it was also not the best and the Bulldog Drummond series in general had been brought up.  Bulldog Drummond at Bay is also currently available on WatchTCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us