CaveGirl

MIA Movies

31 posts in this topic

Not in the sense of war films, but movies that never received numerous tv viewings or revivals for some reason.

For this category, I nominate the 1949 version of "The Great Gatsby" with Alan Ladd. Now after reading that book and having a professor who was obsessed with it and would talk about Owl Eyes and Daisy's voice sounding like money continually in class, he once said that he thought Alan Ladd was the most perfect choice to play Jay Gatsby of any actor. 

This movie I believe was never much shown on tv due to a Paramount packaging deal, that some here probably know more about than I, which precluded it being in the group exhibited. It also never seems to be on any revival circuits and I've only seen bits of it online, but from what I've seen I'd love to see more. I have to admit that I'm not sure I will be thrilled with the casting of Daisy, Tom, Nick, Myrtle or other famous characters but I do see Ladd as being the epitome of a Gatsby type.

Name another movie that is famous but still mostly unseen due to whatever, that prohibits it being shown, that deserves better.

• Like 2

I might imagine in the case of Gatsby,  that there may have been many(like me) who've never HEARD of the Ladd version, or anything about it until the Redford version.  And such a BIG DEAL was made about it that it eclipsed any possible preceding version.  

The same could also be considered in the case of GENGHIS KHAN.  While two movies about the man, one titled with his name and the previous THE CONQUEROR with John Wayne in the title role, the latter version starring OMAR SHARIF gets the most showings.  Personally, I've never seen the John Wayne movie, but the idea of him playing Genghis Khan strikes me as so absurd I don't think I WANT to see it.

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Not in the sense of war films, but movies that never received numerous tv viewings or revivals for some reason.

For this category, I nominate the 1949 version of "The Great Gatsby" with Alan Ladd. Now after reading that book and having a professor who was obsessed with it and would talk about Owl Eyes and Daisy's voice sounding like money continually in class, he once said that he thought Alan Ladd was the most perfect choice to play Jay Gatsby of any actor. 

This movie I believe was never much shown on tv due to a Paramount packaging deal, that some here probably know more about than I, which precluded it being in the group exhibited. It also never seems to be on any revival circuits and I've only seen bits of it online, but from what I've seen I'd love to see more. I have to admit that I'm not sure I will be thrilled with the casting of Daisy, Tom, Nick, Myrtle or other famous characters but I do see Ladd as being the epitome of a Gatsby type.

Name another movie that is famous but still mostly unseen due to whatever, that prohibits it being shown, that deserves better.

There's another couple of Ladd starring films I don't believe I've ever seen on TCM, although coincidentally they are war films. Haven't seen 'em in years:

O.S.S. (1946)

Captain Carey, U.S.A. (1950)

(...the latter one would introduce the song "Mona Lisa" to the public and win the Oscar that year for Best Song...Nat King Cole would soon later make a hit recording of it)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

A virtually forgotten comedy...

MV5BMmNhMTZlMmItMDRkYy00YjBlLThiZTEtZDQ1

hqdefault.jpg

LOL

Yeah, good point here, ham! I remember liking that movie a lot back when it was first released too.

(...and as a matter of fact, here's another use of that "Forced Perspective" thing that CG brought up just last week, huh!) ;) 

entered in wrong thread

Edited by kingrat
Entered in wrong thread

I seem to recall that the Alan Ladd The Great Gatsby was shown on TCM not long after it was shown at the TCM Festival. This version makes much of Gatsby having been a bootlegger during Prohibition, which works well for Ladd.

I'd love to see a restoration of This Angry Age, which can sometimes be found online in a mostly black & white version (it's a color film) and cropped rather than widescreen. Even so, Anthony Perkins, Silvana Mangano, Jo Van Fleet, Richard Conte, Nehemiah Persoff directed by Rene Clement . . . this would be so great if shown as originally intended.

The Blue Veil can sometimes be found online in a version filmed off the TV screen, and is worth seeing even under these conditions, as is Come Fill the Cup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

There's another couple of Ladd starring films I don't believe I've ever seen on TCM, although coincidentally they are war films. Haven't seen 'em in years:

O.S.S. (1946)

(...the latter one would introduce the song "Mona Lisa" to the public and win the Oscar that year for Best Song...Nat King Cole would soon later make a hit recording of it)

CAPTAIN CAREY used to be on Netflix and on Amazon Video. It's been restored by Paramount and worth seeing.

O.S.S. is one I bought on iOffer about ten years ago and it's just so great. I don't understand why it's never aired on TCM. It would fit in with so many of the programmers' themes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I might imagine in the case of Gatsby,  that there may have been many(like me) who've never HEARD of the Ladd version, or anything about it until the Redford version.  And such a BIG DEAL was made about it that it eclipsed any possible preceding version.  

The same could also be considered in the case of GENGHIS KHAN.  While two movies about the man, one titled with his name and the previous THE CONQUEROR with John Wayne in the title role, the latter version starring OMAR SHARIF gets the most showings.  Personally, I've never seen the John Wayne movie, but the idea of him playing Genghis Khan strikes me as so absurd I don't think I WANT to see it.

Sepiatone

THE CONQUEROR aired on TCM not long ago when Susan Hayward was Star of the Month. Of course it might be another twenty years before it airs again.

IAlso another that came to mind: H.E.A.L.T.H. from 1980, a political satire using a health food board head position as a stand-in for political office. It was directed by Robert Altman and had a very impressive cast.

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

There are three famous cases in the 1950s:  Porgy and Bess, The Blue Veil, and Death of a Salesman. It would be really great if they appeared someday.

Death of a Salesman was available on DVD. It wasn't the best copy, but it was watchable. 

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

IAlso another that came to mind: H.E.A.L.T.H. from 1980, a political satire using a health food board head position as a stand-in for political office. It was directed by Robert Altman and had a very impressive cast.

HEALTH used to air regularly on the Fox Movie Channel, which is where I saw it. I have no clue why they haven't released it on disc.

6 hours ago, hamradio said:

A virtually forgotten comedy...

MV5BMmNhMTZlMmItMDRkYy00YjBlLThiZTEtZDQ1

Top Secret! is widely available on DVD. Paramount has released it a few times, with different cover art.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Top Secret! is widely available on DVD. Paramount has released it a few times, with different cover art.

I rented it on the old CED videdisc.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, Dargo said:

O.S.S. (1946)

I've seen the Captain Carey and yet remember absolutely nothing about it sadly.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:50 PM, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, good point here, ham! I remember liking that movie a lot back when it was first released too.

(...and as a matter of fact, here's another use of that "Forced Perspective" thing that CG brought up just last week, huh!) ;) 

I know sarcasm when I see it, Mister Dargo!

Did you notice also the optic trick of making the phone base look a lot like Fritz the Cat?

The Way of All Flesh (1940) Paramount

Where's Charley? (1952) Warner Bros.

The Biscuit Eater (1940) Paramount

Walking My Baby Back Home (1953) Universal

Meet Me at the Fair (1953) Universal

Journey's End (1930) Tiffany Pictures

The Road Back (1937) Universal

With the exception of Where's Charley?, each of these films is available on bootleg DVD.

• Like 1

I learned on these very boards long ago that American Hot Wax (1978) is a film that won't be shown very often because:

• It didn't do well at the box office and
  • fees have to be paid for all the musical performances in the film.

I would love to see it just for the performances. But, overall its probably not worth it.

I'd like to see All This and World War Too although the soundtrack is going to keep it in rights hell.

OSS plays on Grit TV periodically.  GritTV is one of the new sub-channels.  GritTV  plays a number of movies  that are not shown much if at all elsewhere, such as Away All Boats, Red ball Express, and OSS.  As far as I know Grit is still around, unfortunately for me our local station  replaced Grit with another another sub-channel that does not play older movies.

On 6/2/2018 at 1:00 PM, CaveGirl said:

I know sarcasm when I see it, Mister Dargo!

Did you notice also the optic trick of making the phone base look a lot like Fritz the Cat?

Actually CG, and not to be all nit-picky here, but because FRITZ the Cat who starred in the very first X-rated animated feature film in 1972 was a grey tabby...

Fritz-the-Cat.jpg

...AND because the phone base in that still from Top Secret is mostly black with a little white on it...

hqdefault.jpg

...I'd say that said phone base looks a lot more like FELIX the Cat(you know, like those old wall clocks with eyes and a tail that moved back and forth, and that were all the rage in the 1950s) than it does Fritz.

And upon further reflection, I'm sure you'll come to agree with me.

(...and not that this has ANYTHING at all to do with your topic of "MIA Movies", of course...well, EXCEPT maybe for the fact that I haven't seen EITHER the Fritz the Cat feature length film OR any Felix the Cat shorts in a long long time...but when I was a kid, you could often see me glued to the TV whenever Felix was on...loved that bag of tricks of his, to say nothing about this supporting cast of characters such as Poindexter, The Professor, Rock Bottom, Master Cylinder AND that little Inuit dude with the big big voice, Vavoom)

;)

Tough Guys (1986) !!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092105/

Haven't seen this thing since the 1980s.

From memory, the two get out of jail after 25 years or so for committing a historic heist.  They go their seperate ways for a while. 

Lancaster meets a nice lady in an old age home.  But not before he gets everyone in the dining room to loudly protest the food they are being served.  Also stars Jake Steinfeld ("Body By Jake" guy from the 1980s) as an employee and nutrition expert at the old age home.

Douglas goes to a gym and meets a much younger lady.  He goes shopping in a "ultra-modern" clothing store in an attempt to fit in, where the attendant is an odd 1980s hipster on a TV screen.  Douglas comes out of the changing room several times dressed up like a clown.  He and his new girlfriend go to a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert, where they join the crowd in the "mash pit" (this was back when the band was part of the underground punk scene, before they became a household name with their radio hits).

Of course there is the other side to the story, where they get bored with life in the 1980s.  So they get back together and look up friends from their old gang, one by one, the ones they can find who are still alive.  Then they plan one last heist, for old time's sake - the Gold Coast Flyer, a historic train - one of the last of its kind.

Also in the cast are Dana Carvey as their young parole officer who idolizes them so much - he finds ways to spend time with them and nearly joins forces with them, Charles Durning as the police detective who originally captured them and is watching them like a hawk after they get out, Eli Wallach as a fellow old timer (and several others from "the old gang" who they eventually get back in touch with).  Also stars Alexis Smith and Darlanne Fluegel as their newly met girlfriends.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-1.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-11.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-9.jpg

"We want REAL FOOD!!"  "We want REAL FOOD!!" "We want REAL FOOD!!"
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-14.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-7.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-12.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-3.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-8.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-13.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-5.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-10.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-2.jpg

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/tough-guys-6.jpg

All in all not a bad flick.  It is very much a product of the 80s, and in some ways the scenes with Douglas and his girlfriend make it like the 1980s edition of I Love You Alice B. Toklas.

P.S. This is early Touchstone Pictures.

16 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Tough Guys (1986) 

Tough Guys is available on DVD and Blu-ray.

81hAAWmBNqL._SX342_.jpg

• Thanks 1