Sign in to follow this  
cigarjoe

Swamp Films

26 posts in this topic

Anybody familiar with this quasi genre? I've seen a few, Moonrise (1948) Swamp Women (1956), Bayou (1957), know of a few more titles The Louisiana Hussy (1959), Swamp Girl (1971) but there must be others. Anybody have some suggestions?

How about Alligator People (1959), Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959), Swamp Thing  (1982)?

31 minutes ago, TheCid said:

How about Alligator People (1959), Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959), Swamp Thing  (1982)?

Those would all fit into the monster/horror niche of swamp based stuff.

Keep them coming, I'm curious if there aren't more from the 1940's early 50s contemporary stuff. I don't mean, for instance, Battle of New Orleans, Jean LaFitte, Jim Bowie, Nevada Smith type films.

I'm sure Lawrence has run across a few of these ?

One of the best of these I've ever seen would be one of the few Hollywood productions of french director Jean Renoir titled Swamp Water (1941), and stars a young Dana Andrews who was not yet on the A-list.

(...hence his only getting fourth billing behind Walter Brennan, Walter Huston and Anne Baxter, and even though Andrews' character would be the primary focus of the story)

• Like 2

Hmm, maybe Jean Renoir's Swamp Water (1941) with Dana Andrews, Anne Baxter, and Walter Brennan?

Edited by Stevomachino
Curses, Dargo! Beaten by seconds!

Though it isn't entirely set in the swamps, let's not forget A Lion Is in the Streets, with Anne Francis as the swamp gal Flamingo. I love the scene where she tries to feed Barbara Hale to the alligators.

Though the swamp doesn't play a major role in the story, Dark Waters is set in the Louisiana bayou where Merle Oberon goes to stay with her relatives after she's rescued from a shipwreck. She might have been safer hanging onto that life vest.

33 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Old school: Strangler of the Swamp (1946)

hqdefault.jpg

Grindhouse: Gator Bait (1974)

gator-bait-banner.jpg?w=640

Ah yes, the Claudia Jennings era.

First Ham beats everyone to the punch with Southern Comfort, and then Cid has to get in the '82 Swamp Thing:

swamp-thing.jpg.573f3513257c165797908f8aa0d23246.jpg

That's the culty-offbeat Wes Craven original, of course, not the goofy sequel/cable abominations in the 80's, after the title went up for grabs...Do not bring your evil here.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Gotta love those "Louisianna" locations.  :lol:

• Haha 1

The first one I thought of was Russ Meyer's awful MUDHONEY '65:

10014.jpg

But my favorite has to be Charles B. Pierce's LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK '72 and if that wasn't enough for you '84's BOGGY CREEK 2 THE LEGEND CONTINUES:

Boggycreek1.jpg

Surprisingly, this isn't even the monster talking with Pierce:
the-barbaric-beast-of-boggy-creek-part-ii-1985-.jpg

Pierce made pretty good movies-the first was made kind of like a documentary with eyewitness interviews & such. First discovered on MST3K, "Continues" is also pretty good and includes the filmmaker in a much larger role

tumblr_mdk40mkbbX1rhd46ao1_400.gif
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

hqdefault.jpg

Let's also recall BURT REYNOLDS in just plain "'GATOR", the sequel to the earlier WHITE LIGHTNING.

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, Fedya said:

Gotta love those "Louisianna" locations.  :lol:

The guy who designed the poster was probably seeing double, for some odd reason.

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

hqdefault.jpg

This is one case where a low budget works in favor of a film. The cheap sets, continual fog, and blurry scenes add immeasurably to the creepiness of this movie. You also never get a good look at the strangler, and that's a plus. The film is actually quite good, and is a remake of the German film Ferryman Maria, done by the same director. I watched Ferryman Maria on youtube a few years ago (German, with subtitles) and found it pretty stunning. Of course, today, it would have to be known as Ferryperson Maria.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

The first one I thought of was Russ Meyer's awful MUDHONEY '65:

10014.jpg

Yeah, but there was something about this film that appealed to me.

"Sparrows" (1926) plot revolves around a baby farm located in a swamp. TCM showed it last year.

18KEHR1-jumbo.jpg

Oh, and WHERE was it that TAMMY, in those franchise movies lived?  ;)

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Oh, and WHERE was it that TAMMY, in those franchise movies lived?  ;)

Sepiatone

She lived on a river, not in a swamp.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:05 AM, scsu1975 said:

Yeah, but there was something about this film that appealed to me.

Yeah, well, seein' as a how Mudhoney is a Russ Meyer flick, are you sure it wasn't, ahem, a pair of "somethings" that appealed to you about it, Rich???  ;)

• Haha 2

On 5/31/2018 at 11:25 AM, cigarjoe said:

Anybody familiar with this quasi genre? I've seen a few, Moonrise (1948) Swamp Women (1956), Bayou (1957), know of a few more titles The Louisiana Hussy (1959), Swamp Girl (1971) but there must be others. Anybody have some suggestions?

Now you are heading into the murky waters of miasmic eroticism, CJ. Notice how it just seems natural that the ability of a swamp to overcome one, and take you into subterranean depths involuntarily, is similar to other magnetic attractions of the senses.

I see people already have mentioned my favorite swamp film, "Strangler of the Swamp". Seemingly a low budget programmer with little to recommend it, actually it becomes quite mesmerizing as one views it, not in the least by [as said here already] the almost glowing yet slightly out of focus takes on the Ferryman. I first bought this film for only one reason, not expecting much, but because one of my favorite character actors, Charles Middleton [of Ming the Merciless fame] played the Ferryman.  But soon realized as I watched the dvd, that this film was amazingly moving and eerie and not by accident. I honestly thought having Blake Edwards in it, promised a less than good overall effect, but he actually does no damage to a thoroughly evocative film. Great direction by Frank Wisbar as said by other TCM posters in this thread.