Sign in to follow this  
DickLindsay

movie musical songs for SPIN CLASS

5 posts in this topic

Hello all:

I take step classes at the gym every day. I thought it would be nice to offer one of the instructors a thumb drive with some music from movie musicals that are good for spinning.  ideas?

As a dance DJ some time ago, I would match songs with dance styles. I had two songs for when the dance floor got a little empty. Jitterbug songs. Elvis and Jailhouse Rock, and Glen Miller's In The Mood. Trying to find songs from movie musicals could be tricky. In terms of sustained tempo, I'd go with most of the songs from Saturday Night Fever. Trying to sync the spin speed you want with music, is a science in itself.

I do get ideas ... Tony Martin ... DJ humor.

Do you have any specific style of music in mind or are you just taking random suggestions?

Because of the rhythms involved, tap dance music is usually a good fit for spinning classes.  If you can get a copy of "Lullabye Of Broadway" from "Gold Diggers Of 1935", you will find it quite suitable.  The entire number is about nineteen minutes long. 

Here is a short clip:

Also, the title song from "Anything Goes" as well as several other songs from the show or movie will do very well.

thanks for the responses; i love movie musicals, and so I guess I was thinking in terms of songs from classic or semi-classic films.  i like the idea of tap dance music i, and i'll find myself a copy of lullaby of broadway.  I would like ONE class that perhaps doesn't have that unbelievably LOUD, music annoying to my ear drums!