Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament

Opening Salvo For Mad About Musicals Course

578 posts in this topic

I cannot think of a movie musical that I have seen only once.  I love musicals, I have even watched 
"Working Her Way through College" more than once (I like Gene Nelson).

I think "Singing in the Rain" tops the list of most watched.

The ones I'll have to drop everything and watch if they're on TV (even though I own copies of several): "The Sound of Music", "Gigi", "Fiddler on the Roof", "1776", "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".

I love that Hollywood has fallen in love with the movie musical again. I know many will debate re: the quality of many modern musicals, and they can definitely be hit or miss, but I just love that studios are finally acknowledging people's desire to see a musical up on the screen. Not everyone has access to Broadway-caliber theatre, or even a local community production, so to get available exposure to the stories being told by these films is an immeasurable opportunity for people to be inspired.

12 hours ago, MrDougLong said:

That's a good point. People who don't like musicals often cite the fact that people don't just start singing in life. In fact, stage and screen musicals are forms of surrealism. A stage director I once worked with explained his theory on why characters sing and dance in musicals: when words aren't enough, that's when you sing and/or dance.

Actually, I often do sing a song if it fits into the conversation, but only a phrase usually.  But maybe the musicals have influenced my thinking!

I cannot watch 'Singin' in the Rain' enough! It's so well written (thank Comden and Green) and the dances are wonderful! I constantly quote Lina Lamont, and she doesn't even sing in the film! And 'Moses Supposes' is the best tap number ever filmed, except for 'Begin the Beguine' in 'Broadway Melody of 1940'.

Singing in the Rain...The Sound of Music...Wizard of Oz...Top Hat...Gold Diggers of 1933... Most any musical in a live setting, be it high school to Broadway. I like a good story, strong leads, and great singing AND dancing. Some of these are because of the impression they made on me the first time I saw them, and others are how they impressed me after time away and new experiences. 

I answered early, but the more I thought about what my favorite musical is, I remembered I always love Shirley Temple movies and Elvis movies.  You just can't go wrong.  Shirley Temple was always so up beat and wonderful, and Elvis, well, Elvis is Elvis and his music will live forever.  I love reading about everyone's favorite musical, such a wide variety.  I love it.

Just now, Gaili561 said:

I answered early, but the more I thought about what my favorite musical is, I remembered I always love Shirley Temple movies and Elvis movies.  You just can't go wrong.  Shirley Temple was always so up beat and wonderful, and Elvis, well, Elvis is Elvis and his music will live forever.  I love reading about everyone's favorite musical, such a wide variety.  I love it.

My siblings and I are all in our 20s now and we still quote and sing Shirley Temple movies to each other.

• Like 1

This is incredibly difficult! Anything Fred & Ginger, or Judy, or Gene, or Bing, or..... sigh....I just love them all!

I've always enjoyed James Cagney in "Yankee Doodle Dandy".  I remember how surprised I was at his singing and dancing, having only thought of him as a tough guy movie criminal.  Another movie I loved was "Damn Yankees".  It is now impossible to find.  I would love it if TCM could include this great baseball themed musical in its library.

• Like 1

As a child, I watched and adored anything with Shirley Temple. She was a little girl just like me dancing and singing-doing the things I loved to do. But I'd have to say my favorite musicals would be Singing in the Rain and Thoroughly Modern Millie (plus SO many more). Because those films take place in my favorite time period, the costumes are just beautiful, the leading stars are all so talented,and I'm also strongly jealous of the dancing. Those are the two I watch when I'm sick or sad.

I could never pick a favorite, but I probably have watched The Wizard of Oz the most because they used to show it on TV every year when I was growing up.  The flying monkeys truly scared me, but watching Judy Garland sing "Over the Rainbow" is still magical.  I have to mention The Sound of Music too, those songs became a part of my life in a large way.  My favorite line is when the nuns say, "Mother, I have sinned..."  I am so glad I got to see it in a theatre on the big screen, as that opening shot requires.

14 minutes ago, CherylT13 said:

Actually, I often do sing a song if it fits into the conversation, but only a phrase usually.  But maybe the musicals have influenced my thinking!

My siblings and I break into song a lot. . .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hollygolightly1990 said:

My siblings and I are all in our 20s now and we still quote and sing Shirley Temple movies to each other.

I loved Shirley too, she was such a talent.

• Like 1

I have always loved Daddy Longlegs, Funny Face, and An American in Paris, as well as anything by Rogers & Hammerstein. When asked, I have always said Carousel is my favorite musical.

I never tire of: 42 Street, Dames, Footlight Parade, and Goldiggers of 1933.; these are the gateway musicals. Then, Easter Parade, Meet Me In St.Louis and Yankee Doodle Dandy from the 40's. Everything in the 50's and The Music Man from the 60's. This is are just the list of the ones that I can and have see over and over again. 

At first I thought this was an impossible one to answer.  As someone who grew up in the midwest and went to school in Iowa, there is only one answer.  The Music Man.  The music and the story are a blast and the fact that Beatles covered 'Til There Was You... well, enough said, for me anyway.  

The two musicals that I can always watch, no matter what my mood is, are The Band Wagon and Summer Stock. Both are "hey kids, let's put on a show" movies, which is appealing. I love both the skewering of pretentiousness in The Band Wagon and the simplicity of the barn musical in the second, and how each winds up with a blockbuster musical that would never fit onto a real Broadway stage. The variety of the singing and dancing styles in The Band Wagon makes it a pleasure and watching a more mature Judy Garland in Summer Stock, where she gets to do some broad comedy while paired with Gene Kelly as a love interest, is always a revelation. She has some spectacular numbers in that movie, and I love listening to her as well as see her dance. Both of these two movies always make me happy.

Grease and The Little Mermaid are my all-time favorite musicals (justice for animated musicals!), the ones that are a comfort just to have playing in the background. But my real obsession is The Pirate. It has everything--madcap action, colorful costumes, Judy Garland's spunky wit, amazing snoods, the jaw-dropping Nicholas Brothers, an erotic dream ballet, Gene Kelly's thighs...it's a gorgeous, non-stop ride!

Pirate Kiss.gif

• Like 3

My love for musicals started when I was about 5 or 6 with Annie. My dad would get me the video and I would watch it over and over and over and pretend I was Annie. I then became obsessed with The Wizard of Oz, and that helped develop my love for Judy Garland. Both of these films were integral to my childhood, and to my never-ending love for musicals, both movie and live theatre.

As I got older, I learned to appreciate them even more. I can't pick one favorite, but my top choices include the two already mentioned as well as The Music Man, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady. Meet Me in St. Louis, Mary Poppins, Oklahoma, and Grease. These are films that I will always stop to watch if I see them on TV, and ones that I know the scores and the lyrics to most of the songs. They led to me wanting to learn how to play piano, how to sing, and then to teach others to sing and to share my love of musicals. To say that musicals have been an integral part of my life is an understatement, and I'm so glad to share in this class and interact with other people who love them as much as I do.

My mom began taking me to see live musicals as a kid, then began to introduce me to old films, including musicals. But the first musical film I remember connecting to was in high school when “Moulin Rouge” came out. The combination of story and modern music just resonated with me, and from that moment on, I was hooked on musicals, including seeking the older ones I wasn’t familiar with out on TCM. 

I am so excited to deepen my knowledge even more through this course!

Too many favorites to name just one but would start with South Pacific, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins. Another post mentioned The Happiest Millionaire... thought I was the only one who loved it. So glad I found this learning opportunity and the chance to share with those who love musicals as much as I.

It’s 1949’s On the Town, of course! This film marks the first time a major studio accomplished production numbers on New York City locations. It was a concept that stuck. How many times, in how many ways, from the silver screen to the small screen, have viewers been dazzled by The Big Apple? Can you count how many times you’ve said, “the city was a major character” and wondered where it all started? You have Gene Kelly and Stanley Donen to thank. Think about this when you look to the topic of how film and culture collide. Think about how different the city is, how it changes through the decades. You can accomplish a similar goal simply by thinking of all the movies you know that include a view of the New York City skyline. My, how it’s changed! 

Many of Leonard Bernstein’s numbers from the stage production of On the Town were dropped for the film, but “Come Up To My Place” remained, thank goodness. It’s my favorite number. Hippodrome! 

The musicals that i find myself watching repeatedly would have to be, but not limited to: Singing in the Rain, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Wizard of Oz,Annie get your Gun, My Fair Lady, and The Music Man. It's the music that keeps me coming back to watch the musical again and again. I can name at lest one song from the ones that I have listed that I would have playing in my car. Singing in the rain, We're of to see the Wizard, I can do anything better then you,  Goodnight my someone, and I could have danced all night are just a few to mention.  For me If the Music gets stuck in my head I will go and watch the Musical over and over again. 

Also being a member of my local community theater i have had the opportunity to have  been apart of many musicals some are going to be shown during this course on TCM. Just to name a few that I've been in are Wizard of Oz, Annie get your Gun, and  High Society.

There are so many I watch repeatedly! My top ones are Singin' In the Rain, Meet Me In St. Louis, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. I enjoy the dancing in the barn number in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and the songs as well. It doesn't hurt that the brothers are handsome and tall! I really like Singin' in the Rain because it's funny because of Jean Hagen and Donald O'Connor. Of course, I love the title number and Gene Kelly's dancing and I enjoy the "Good Morning" number. I'm also a Judy Garland fan, so I really like the Trolley number in Meet Me in St. Louis. I also enjoy the family dynamics in that movie. I watch a few musicals repeatedly for holiday events like Easter Parade around Easter time and White Christmas.

Gypsy, Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain, Music Man, Les Miserables, White Christmas, Mary Poppins, West Side Story, any Fred/Ginger, any Busby - for starters

I am powerless over musicals and my life is unmanageable, but singing and dancing in the living room help!