Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament

Opening Salvo For Mad About Musicals Course

578 posts in this topic

Singing In The Rain!... Gene, Debbie, and Donald.. need I say more! I love the music, the dancing, and it makes me laugh. The best pick-me-up when I am not feeling good or just having a tough day... .tapping my troubles away! 

• Like 6

There are three musicals that, regardless of how many times I've seen them or when they're on television, I have to stop and watch: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singin' in the Rain, and The Blues Brothers.  I'm not completely sure if the last film counts as a musical, but it makes me nostalgic for the Memphis music scene, and the music rocks and the movie is just hilarious.  As for the other two films, I'm always blown away by the dance numbers and the talent everyone seems to possess.  And, honestly, I have a bit of crush on Donald O'Connor and Howard Keel. 

• Like 4

Singin' in the Rain! So many reasons, but mainly because it is perfection. Gene Kelly was my first imaginary boyfriend, to start. But it's the sheer joy of the film that sets it apart, for me. The cast is brilliant, the musical numbers are fantastic (in technique and energy), and Jean Hagan has just about the funniest turn on film. I've seen it several times on the big screen as well, and it is never less than thrilling to watch.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, teithio79 said:

There are three musicals that, regardless of how many times I've seen them or when they're on television, I have to stop and watch: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singin' in the Rain, and The Blues Brothers.  I'm not completely sure if the last film counts as a musical, but it makes me nostalgic for the Memphis music scene, and the music rocks and the movie is just hilarious. 

The Blues Brothers definitely counts!  It's a classic Mickey & Judy storyline.  "Let's put on a show to save....."  In this case it's the orphanage and a different style of music.  I love it!  It's one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 2

Such a hard choice - I love so many musicals - but the first one that popped in my head was West Side Story. Everything about it moves me.  I always watch when it's on, no matter what point it's at.  And the "Rich Man's Frug" sequence in Sweet Charity is so stylish it makes my eyes pop! 

• Like 6

Anything with Gene Kelly. I suppose his very popularity suggests that his performances and his films and his musicals bring people together. And musicals do seem to be a uniquely American phenomenon. Does anyone know of as many musicals produced abroad?

Another favorite of mine is My Sister Eileen (1952), with Janet Leigh and Betty Garrett. And Jack Lemmon! I didn't see it on any list for this course or at TCM. But I guess we can't all have our favorites included!

• Like 5

If i have to pick just one, it would be FUNNY GIRL. That movie introduced me to my very favorite singer and actress, Barbra Streisand. I have a lifelong love affair with the Broadway musical (hence the nickname), and so I enjoy many of the movie adaptations of theater work. (Often, though, I prefer the Broadway versions.) I love MY FAIR LADY, though I wish they allowed Julie andrews to have the lead. And, like so many others, I really enjoy SOUND OF MUSIC, although I very much prefer the Broadway script. And I can't let Christmas go by without watching WHITE CHRISTMAS. I'm very excited about this course.

• Like 5

There are so many musicals I love, but without a doubt, I'd have to say "The Wizard of Oz." It has been my favorite movie since childhood. I've seen it more times than I can count, but I still adore it! I think this is because it is timeless. There's things children and adults alike can take from the film, and the music is iconic. Judy Garland, to me, is the ultimate movie musical star. She inspired me to do musical theatre in my community.

"Singin' in the Rain" is also fantastic: Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds are two more of my favorite performers! "Meet Me in St. Louis" and "Swing Time" come to mind, as well.

I feel like all of these musicals have withstood the test of time because of their relatable stories and characters.

• Like 6

I love any musical with Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Cyd Charrise, Anne Miller, Howard Keel or Doris Day. Very partial to Seven Brides, Singing in the Rain and Carousel.

• Like 3

I just LUV The Band Wagon! The ole "the show's pretty bad, but we can fix it w a few tweaks here & there" premise gets me every time!

• Like 5

I find myself watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and West Side Story every time they air. I love the dancing in them which couldn't work without the music.

• Like 5

As some of you stated, I too was raised on film - mostly musicals - because my father was a huge fan!  For me, Singin' in the Rain is an all time favorite.  I also love Shall We Dance when Fred Astaire dances with the women wearing Ginger Rogers masks.  Musicals take me to another world of carefree bliss.  Can't beat that!

• Like 5

The first week of December, we watch White Christmas as a family, eat peppermint stick ice cream, and decorate the Christmas tree. Every other year, on New Year's Day, we watch Meet Me In St. Louis. We watch Seven Brides For Seven Brothers with our cousins whenever we're together and discuss how many places the Happiest Millionaire could have ended.

The 10th anniversary edition of Les Miserables soundtrack is in heavy rotation at our house, we've had to replace it three times! We love the High School Musical franchise unironically. Hello Dolly! was the first Barbra Streisand movie we ever saw and we fell in love with her as soon as she opened her mouth. We love Fiddler on the Roof because our father is a highly religious man and a father of many daughters like Tevhia is and we always debate the merits of the Matthew Brodrick Music Man versus Robert Preston. 

I just renewed my season pass to see 8 more musicals this year. 

I can't choose a favorite musical or one I go back to more than others, they've all had a part in shaping who I am today. I know it's not real life, but for a couple of hours they make you stop and say "what if?".

• Like 5

Singin' in the Rain is the musical I've seen most often, it might be the movie I've seen most often.I love movies about the movies.

• Like 4

With West Side Story (1961) I see an acknowledged classical tale of star-crossed lovers as written by William Shakespeare (and whoever) transposed into a modern setting while still maintaining the themes of young love, family, class, prejudice and dramatic storytelling. While updating of the story for contemporary times broadens its’ cultural appeal, putting it into terms of dance and music makes this all-embracing story one of universal (not the studio) appeal and a cultural icon.  I find the movie alluring for repeated viewings because of the multitude of the spectacular achievements in acting, singing, direction, choreography, camerawork, costume design, and so on.

This is a fine tuned engine that is running on all cylinders and is a joy to watch.  Of course there are the tragic elements of the story but such is life.

• Like 4

There are so many musicals that could be the answer to this question.  I think we become infatuated with movies and especially musicals as they each mark a time and place in our lives. The musical has that much more stickiness to it than the non-musical, with the combination of visuals, music, and dancing in some cases.  My father, who hated musicals, took the family to see Paint Your Wagon when I was seven years old.  He loved the gold rush era and was a fan of Lee Marvin, so I think he thought he could stomach it.  Anyway, that movie became important to me because it tied me to my father with music and dancing and beautiful mountain scenery.  A fun musical, but not great by any means.  And yet, if it comes on, I’ll watch it again because it was an important link to my youth. 

That said, I’m doing the same thing with my family today and high on our list of favorites are Singin In the Rain and An American In Paris.   Both are the equivalent of “comfort food” for the family and we include them in our diet regularly.  They give you a warm feeling inside, their easy to digest, and give you the lift to go on with your day.  I would also have a difficult time turning off Fiddler on the Roof and Godspell.    

• Like 7

I love watching Seven Brides For Seven Brothers.  Some how I never grow tired of the music and the dancing.  The same holds true for All That Jazz.  The truth be told I love watching musicals!!!

• Like 4

Good musicals, all - I can feel myself nodding along to your favorites.  As a child I fell in love with 7 Brides for 7 Brothers and Singing in the Rain love Donald O'Connor & Gene Kelly .... I love Chicago, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and now my personal favorite on replay - The Greatest Showman.  I will always tune in to a musical on TV - love them all!

• Like 4

I think my favorite musicals are:

7 Brides for 7 Brothers because my favorite ex loved it so much,

Singin' in the Rain because Donald O'Conner was so fabulous in it,

American in Paris because of Gershwin's music and Gene Kelly's dancing, 

Royal Wedding because of the Fred Astaire's dancing in the revolving room,

and Saturday Night Fever because it was so representative of the times I lived.

• Like 3

I would have to say that my number 1 favorite musical--or at least most watched--is the Wizard of Oz. I fell in love with it when I was 4 and saw it on TV. From that point on, I looked forward to the annual airing of the film. I also really enjoy Fiddler on the Roof, Oliver, and an American in Paris. Of course, I can't forget Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Singing in the Rain.... I guess this is a really difficult question! I can't limit my favs to 3 or 4!

• Like 5

An American in Paris combines Gene Kelly and George Gershwin, two of my all-time favorites. Of course, Singin' in the Rain, for the tunes, the performers and the historical link to the silent-to-talkies culture shock that hit Hollywood in the late 20s. Take Me Out to the Ballgame tickles my fancy as it combines two lifetime pleasures, the musical film and baseball!

There are a couple of other favorites of mine: Daddy Long Legs and Guys and Dolls. The former was blessed with Astaire and Caron in the lead, with brilliant supporting cast members Thelma Ritter and Fred Clark. Add in a Johnny Mercer score and you've got a top notch musical treat for both the eyes and ears. Guys and Dolls provided the odd but still successful (imho) casting of Marlon Brando as Sky Madison and Sinatra as Nathan Detroit. The producers were smart enough to bring Vivian Blaine on board to play Miss Adelaide, a part written for her for the original Broadway production.

an american in paris.jpg

singin in the rain.jpg

take me out to the balgame.jpg

daddy long legs.jpg

guys and dolls.jpg

• Like 5

Just pick one??  Not sure I can.  I watch a lot of the old musicals with my mom, who's in her 90's and used to be a pretty good tap dancer in her youth, so we tend to watch a lot of the 30's musicals.... Busby Berkeley, Astaire and Rogers, Eleanor Powell in the Broadway Melodies.  Wow!  Great ones in the 40's and 50's too.  We can watch Rodgers and Hammerstein over and over.  Force me to pick one?  Hmmmm... 'The King and I.'  Kerr and Brynner's polka is one of the greatest movie scenes ever filmed.

• Like 5

American in Paris. I've watched it many times and while I love many musicals, I often come back to this one. I think Gene Kelly is strikingly handsome in it, and his dancing is spot-on perfect. I think musicals offer us an escape from our problems - two hours or so of beautifully shot scenes, songs you remember, and great dancing that just make you feel happy and carefree. 

• Like 4

There are so many great musicals to choose from.  For me, two musicals stick out.  Yankee Doodle Dandy and A Hard Day's Night.  Both have great music.  But just as important, they are a reflection of their time period.  Obviously, Yankee Doodle Dandy reflects WWII patriotism, Hollywood's support of the war effort, and the government.  By contrast,  A Hard Day's Night reflects the post war generation's rebelliousness. There are scenes in the film poke fun at the older generation who fought the war.  It's an interesting contrast.  Regardless, it's the music that stands out in both films.

• Like 6