Sign in to follow this  
annsblyth

FilmStruck Suggestion

13 posts in this topic

Good morning, fellow musical lovers! This will be the third course that I've taken from TCM and Ball State University, and I'm more excited about this topic than any other so far! ? I just couldn't wait to start looking at the modules and the film recommendations for the first week, but I have to admit that I was disappointed that only one of this week's four suggested films is currently available on FilmStruck, Top Hat. ? Luckily I own Wizard of Oz as well, but I don't have access to TCM, so I'm going to have to rent Broadway Melody and I'm out of luck with Born to Dance because I haven't been able to find it anywhere. This is really unfortunate because those are also the two that I haven't seen. I couldn't be more thrilled that this course is finally up and running, and I'm a lot more optimistic that more of the following weeks' recommended films will be on FilmStruck (especially because Gene Kelly is the newest Star of the Week), but in the future it would be really nice for FilmStruck to have all of the recommended movies, especially now that both are in partnership with TCM.

• Like 4

I just saw Born to Dance was on YouTube for rental. I think it said it was $2.99. Hope that's helpful.

Have you tried your local library? That's where I'm getting most of the films because I don't have FilmStruck or TCM at the moment.

Do you have a subscription to the Criterion films as well? A Hard Day’s Night is available to watch, and I know that’ll come in handy when we get to the 1960s. 

3 hours ago, dischick said:

Not trying to be ignorant here, but what is FilmStruck?

It's a streaming service that has partnered with TCM that has many classic films available to watch. Basically think Netflix or Hulu for old movie lovers, though there are modern, foreign, and indie films on there too!

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2018 at 3:33 AM, annsblyth said:

Good morning, fellow musical lovers! This will be the third course that I've taken from TCM and Ball State University, and I'm more excited about this topic than any other so far! ? I just couldn't wait to start looking at the modules and the film recommendations for the first week, but I have to admit that I was disappointed that only one of this week's four suggested films is currently available on FilmStruck, Top Hat. ? Luckily I own Wizard of Oz as well, but I don't have access to TCM, so I'm going to have to rent Broadway Melody and I'm out of luck with Born to Dance because I haven't been able to find it anywhere. This is really unfortunate because those are also the two that I haven't seen. I couldn't be more thrilled that this course is finally up and running, and I'm a lot more optimistic that more of the following weeks' recommended films will be on FilmStruck (especially because Gene Kelly is the newest Star of the Week), but in the future it would be really nice for FilmStruck to have all of the recommended movies, especially now that both are in partnership with TCM.

Have you tried looking to see if the TCM Eleanor Powell collection is available at the library? That has Born to Dance in it and three of the Broadway Melodies (not the 1929 one though).  Just an idea.

I somehow own three copies of Born to Dance through various purchases I've made over the years. 

On 6/3/2018 at 10:51 AM, kino said:

Have you tried your local library? That's where I'm getting most of the films because I don't have FilmStruck or TCM at the moment.

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Have you tried looking to see if the TCM Eleanor Powell collection is available at the library? That has Born to Dance in it and three of the Broadway Melodies (not the 1929 one though).  Just an idea.

I somehow own three copies of Born to Dance through various purchases I've made over the years. 

I just moved a few weeks ago and haven't had the chance to even see if there's a library near me, much less go to one. I was more suggesting that TCM and Ball State keep FilmStruck in mind when making their viewing recommendations.

Annsblyth  even if you don't have TCM on your tv or cable you can use "Watch TCM" on your computer or even your phone.  You can go to the web site or down load the App on your phone or I pad.   The Mad About Musicals movies are on Watch TCM on demand for 5 days following their appearance on TCM tv.

• Like 1

If you’re a non-cable “cord-cutter” person like me, did you know that you can get TCM as part of a very reasonably priced subscription to Sling TV. It even saves most of the movies for several days to view on demand when you are ready and able to watch. Highly recommended.

10 minutes ago, GLSkipper said:

Annsblyth  even if you don't have TCM on your tv or cable you can use "Watch TCM" on your computer or even your phone.  You can go to the web site or down load the App on your phone or I pad.   The Mad About Musicals movies are on Watch TCM on demand for 5 days following their appearance on TCM tv.

You need to be a cable or satellite customer, and log in via that provider, for Watch TCM. I believe there are five cord-cutter options for TCM. I am learning not everything on TV is available to stream, but have no true details.