Karen Louise

Request

31 posts in this topic

Why doesn’t TCM  Allow others to take the previous courses that were offered for free? 

I looked at the other course offerings on Canvas. It would seem only appropriate to

have the previous courses such as the one on Hitchcock available for those who were not 

able to take the course at the original time. Canvas has so many other courses available

to anyone at anytime - past the original offer date. Please think about that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I agree, Karen Louise. I didn't know about these courses until the current one on musicals. But, I'd also love to take the courses on Hitchcock and slapstick, and my brother wants to do the film noir course. Obviously the courses were designed to be highly interactive, which probably presents a problem. But, I'd love to do them as self-directed experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Me three!  I'd love to access the materials from the previous courses! I just found about this series this summer.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Agreed! I too just found out about these courses and feel it would be amazing to have the opportunity to enjoy the previously offered content! What a great suggestion! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The Movie Musicals class is the first one that I saw being offered. I would love to be able to go back and access the one on Hitchcock!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would imagine that it is due to the structure of the course.  There is so much instructor interaction as well as discussions that it might not work as well after the fact.

5 hours ago, Karen Louise said:

Why doesn’t TCM  Allow others to take the previous courses that were offered for free? 

I looked at the other course offerings on Canvas. It would seem only appropriate to

have the previous courses such as the one on Hitchcock available for those who were not 

able to take the course at the original time. Canvas has so many other courses available

to anyone at anytime - past the original offer date. Please think about that.

It's a great question. It is something that we have been looking into. The biggest issue is that the courses do thrive and sustain themselves on the interactions among the students. As my team has designed the courses at Ball State, the Canvas material matters, but we value the legion of film fans who come together as a student community even more - we get tens of thousands of tweets, thousands of message board posts, hundreds of notes on the Padlet bulletin board, we share live tweeting, we come together around Shindig events - so the courses have been designed, like a film festival, around the presence of many students. That is part of the key that I think makes these courses so special and memorable.

That said, we are aware that many of you want access to the materials of the older courses - that is something that we are looking into.

Thanks for your interest in these courses! And hope 

Best, Richard Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015), TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick Comedy (2016) and TCM Presents the Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Ball State University

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

Dear Prof Edwards,
I've tried to contact you in as many ways as I can think of (facebook, twitter, tcm forum, email, canvas forum) and was never  sure if any messages has ever reached you.

e.g. http://forums.tcm.com/topic/185780-film-noir-student-missed-hitchcock-enrollment-any-chance-to-access-to-course-even-read-only-please/

I have completed the  TCM Presents Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir and I also asked to be on the mailing list for further courses.
And never received any info on Hitchcock course therefore I missed it. 
I'll be very happy to have an access  to the course even if it is a read only version of the course

Even able to  download an epub version of the course material (as a last resort) is better than nothing

All the best

I would love to take some of the previous course that where offered. But this June time frame is a killer for me. It would be nice to have them offered at other times of the year. I am hoping to keep up with the material but I am going to have problems finishing on time.

• Thanks 1

I would imagine there would be some difficulty in offering the past courses due to use of TCM for many of the movies we're going to have access to here. I too am one of those who just learned about the course and would love to have taken part in the earlier ones. Any ideas of what is to come in the future?

• Like 1

I am really enjoying this class so far and I understand that other classes like this have been done - is there a way to take those? Thanks for any information!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2018 at 1:46 PM, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

It's a great question. It is something that we have been looking into. The biggest issue is that the courses do thrive and sustain themselves on the interactions among the students. As my team has designed the courses at Ball State, the Canvas material matters, but we value the legion of film fans who come together as a student community even more - we get tens of thousands of tweets, thousands of message board posts, hundreds of notes on the Padlet bulletin board, we share live tweeting, we come together around Shindig events - so the courses have been designed, like a film festival, around the presence of many students. That is part of the key that I think makes these courses so special and memorable.

That said, we are aware that many of you want access to the materials of the older courses - that is something that we are looking into.

Thanks for your interest in these courses! And hope 

Best, Richard Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Into the Darkness: Investigating Film Noir (2015), TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick Comedy (2016) and TCM Presents the Master of Suspense: 50 Years of Hitchcock (2017)

Ball State University

Thank you Dr Edwards for your kind explanation.  Have you ever considered re-offering any of the previous courses, or will 2019 bring a new focal topic?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, csmessing said:

Thank you Dr Edwards for your kind explanation.  Have you ever considered re-offering any of the previous courses, or will 2019 bring a new focal topic?

Excellent question.  I have taken all of the courses offered so far, but I would re-take any of them in a minute (especially the Film Noir class).  Any of the re-offered classes would be an exciting new experience due to the fact that there would be a most interesting mix of students.  Repeaters, like myself, along with newcomers charged with new energy and bringing new perspectives and asking new questions.  That makes for new excitement!  And what I have just said supports Dr. Edwards' point: it's the student community that really fuels these things and makes them so special.  But, yeah.  Let's not assume that we need a new topic every year or even just one class per year.  Let's do the Film Noir again (and the Time Warp)!

• Like 4

I so wish there was a way to access the archive of the course or have them reopened like they do for true collegiate semesters. The core content is recycled semester after semester, but responses and such are cleared out for new students.

• Like 2

While I'm sure I would re-take any of the previous topics if they were offered again, there are so many topics yet to be explored that I don't see a reason to repeat yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Suzanne1228 said:

While I'm sure I would re-take any of the previous topics if they were offered again, there are so many topics yet to be explored that I don't see a reason to repeat yet.

I absolutely understand what you're saying, Suzanne. (And BTW: Thank you for all of the insightful posts that you have been making on this message board.  Always look forward to reading them.)  I, too, am eager to move onto fresh ground in these classes.  Let's not forget, though, that while a second offering of Film Noir, Slapstick or Hitchcock would be a repeat for us, there are thousands of folks out there for whom it would be a brand new thing.  It would be almost ideal if there could be a couple of classes each year.  One a new subject and one a "repeat" of a previous class.  But I know that these classes require a tremendous amount of work on the part of the people who present them (people at Ball State and at TCM), so that probably would not be practical.

• Like 4

As usual, I can't say it any better than GeezerNoir!

I love that there is interest in more courses, and that is something to consider in the future.

Just so everyone knows, I do my best to share all of your thoughts and ideas with TCM.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Dr. Rich Edwards said:

As usual, I can't say it any better than GeezerNoir!

I love that there is interest in more courses, and that is something to consider in the future.

Just so everyone knows, I do my best to share all of your thoughts and ideas with TCM.

If it helps encourage TCM to offer these classes more often, or even to repeat previous ones, you can let them know that for the past 1.5 weeks my TV has been turned to nothing but TCM!!  This class has turned me from an occasional, casual TCM viewer to a TCM addict!!  Based on the message board, I'm guessing I'm not the only one.  :)  

• Like 2

I can appreciate them not being full blown and active engagement like these are, moderated by professors, but perhaps with the content locked, but still be able to browse the lecture notes, lecture videos, list of suggested movies, etc. Those would be so insightful if people who wanted to have a deeper understanding and appreciation could just view the content, without it even being an actual course.

• Like 2

That is a great idea. It would be neat if we could take the previous courses that were offered from TCM.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 5:06 PM, ShanStinson said:

I can appreciate them not being full blown and active engagement like these are, moderated by professors, but perhaps with the content locked, but still be able to browse the lecture notes, lecture videos, list of suggested movies, etc. Those would be so insightful if people who wanted to have a deeper understanding and appreciation could just view the content, without it even being an actual course.

Those of us who have taken the previous courses still have access on Canvas to the content that you reference here.  If you live within driving distance of a friend who has taken one of the courses, then you could drive to that friend's house, have them sign into Canvas and give you access to an archived course.  I still go back from time to time and listen to the wonderful video lectures for the Film Noir class.

Of course, you cannot take the quizzes, get badges, etc.  But that's not what you're asking for is it.

Edited by GeezerNoir
Provide further info.
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Edwards, I, too, am adding a request for a repeat of courses. I did not receive notification of the Hitchcock course from Canvas and did not see it advertised on TCM. As others, I would value the opportunity just to have access to the course materials to gain insight into these films. Your Film Noir and Slapstick Comedy courses were extremely informative and interesting. Having taken the Noir and Comedy courses, I wonder why these are the only archived courses available to me. Could all previous courses be made available in the archives to people who have taken at least one other of these free courses?

• Like 1