Sign in to follow this  
HoldenIsHere

September 2018 Schedule Now Available

45 posts in this topic

Wow.  TCM is on a roll with the schedules.  I like the choice of Dino for SOTM.

• Like 1

After some cleaning (who knew a 33-year old man and a 2.5 oz bird could make such a mess?), I'm ready to peruse the schedule.  I'm excited about the choice of Dean Martin for SOTM.  I'm more familiar with his music and his membership in the Rat Pack, so I look forward to seeing some of his other films.  I'm not as big a fan of Jerry Lewis, but will probably give the Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis films a look.

9/1

The Black Swan.  I haven't seen this Tyrone Power/Maureen O'Hara swashbuckler.

Noir Alley Selection: The Locket starring Robert Mitchum and Laraine Day.  I really liked this film when I saw it for the first time a few months ago.

9/2

Mrs. Parkington.  I've been trying to see more Greer Garson films.  This one also features Agnes Moorehead who I really like.

What's Up Doc? This film might be featured during Barbra Streisand's SUTS day and I might have already noted it for recording, but if I forget to do so, I have another chance.

9/3

Even though I'm skeptical on the choice to award George Clooney with the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, I enjoy watching these ceremonies because the other guests are usually entertaining.  Clooney seems like a decent guy, so I suppose there are worse people who could have been selected. 

O Brother, Where Art Thou? I haven't seen this movie in years! I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  

Up in the Air.  I wanted to see this film when it came out originally.  I like Clooney okay and I also like Anna Kendrick*
(*I'm finally watching a movie on TCM to see an actor younger than I am.  This may be a first). 

9/4

Honeymoon Hotel.  Anything described as a 60's sex farce has got my vote.

Hotel Berlin.  This film sounds like it could be interesting. 

9/5

The Big Circus.  I don't like clowns, but the idea of Peter Lorre cast as a clown seems like something I can't miss.

The Long Night. Any film that has the phrase "sadistic lover" sounds like something I need to see.  This film also has an interesting cast: Henry Fonda, Barbara Bel Geddes, Vincent Price, Ann Dvorak and Elisha Cook Jr.

Living it Up.  This Nothing Sacred remake starring Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis and Janet Leigh sounds entertaining.

Who Was That Lady? This film starring Dean Martin, Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh sounds like it could be fun.

9/6

Men in White.  I've never heard of this Clark Gable/Myrna Loy film.

9/7

My Forbidden Past. Not only does the cast sound interesting (Robert Mitchum, Ava Gardner and Melvyn Douglas) but the plot sounds like it could be fun to watch as well.

Two Smart People.  I've seen this Lucille Ball movie twice and both times, it was hard to follow.  Third time's a charm?

Too Late For Tears.  Even though Lizabeth Scott has yet to impress me in her films, the synopsis of this one sounds intriguing. 

9/8

Desperate.  This noir sounds like it could be good.

Ship of Fools.  I do enjoy films that take place on cruise ships.

9/10

A Girl, A Guy and A Gob.  I've been wanting to see this Lucille Ball film again!

A Cry in the Night.  This is a Natalie Wood movie that I haven't seen before.

9/11

One For the Book (aka Voice of the Turtle) I wouldn't mind seeing this film again.  It was fun.  It featured Eleanor Parker, Ronald Reagan and Eve Arden. 

George Washington Slept Here.  This film was funny.  I'd like to see this one again.

9/12

Live, Love and Learn.  I haven't seen this Rosalind Russell film before.  She and Robert Montgomery seemed to be paired up a lot.  This is like the third or fourth Russell/Montgomery film I've seen on recent schedules.

Toys in the Attic.  I just discovered Yvette Mimieux when I saw her in Where the Boys Are.  In addition to liking 'Boys,' I also found that I really liked Mimieux. 

9/13

Without Reservations.  I didn't know that Claudette Colbert made a film with John Wayne.  I'm not the biggest fan of Wayne, but I like Colbert and I'm curious about their pairing.

Parrish.  Oh man.  I've been waiting to see this film.  It sounds like one of those soapy 60s teen melodramas that I enjoy watching.

9/14

Our Blushing Brides. This pre-code sounds like it could be fun.  Usually films featuring gold diggers are.

9/15 

The Inspector General.  I've been wanting to see this Danny Kaye movie.

Panic in the Streets.  I've been wanting to see this Fox Noir.

9/18

Born to Be Bad.  I liked this Joan Fontaine film.  She actually didn't play the simpering, fragile flower in this film.  I wouldn't mind watching it again. 

9/19

Frankie and Johnny.  I don't know why I find the Elvis films entertaining, but I do.  I haven't seen this one yet.

Kiss Me Stupid.  I didn't like this Dean Martin/Kim Novak film the last time I saw it.  Maybe it'll be different this time?

9/20

Double Trouble.  See my comments about Frankie and Johnny from 9/19.

Made in Paris.  I loved this Ann-Margret film the last time I watched it (I think during Ann-Margret's SUTS day a couple years ago).  

9/21

The Brass Bottle.  Jeannie and Felix Unger in a film together? Yes, please.

9/24

The Last Waltz.  This sounds like it could be a great music documentary.

9/26

Cass Timberlane. This Lana Turner film sounds interesting.

Murderers' Row.  I haven't seen this Ann-Margret film.

How to Save a Marriage and Ruin Your Life.  I like the title.  There were a lot of "marriage advice" movies back in the 60s.

9/30

The Affairs of Dobie Gillis.  I liked this movie the last time I saw it.  I am not familiar with the TV Show.  I think I saw one episode once on TVLand, back when the channel was good.

Wow.  This is a great schedule.  I wish there were less westerns, but other than that, I found a lot to record.  I have 4 months to carve some space on my DVR.  300+ films recorded and 71% full on the DVR. 

Speedracer, I'm a big fan of The Long Night. Hotel Berlin isn't well known, either, but it's also worth your time. Some people, me included, would say that Too Late for Tears has Lizabeth Scott's best performance. When she and Dan Duryea try to out-sleaze each other, the movie gets really good.

If sudsiness is what you want, Parrish has more than a washing machine overflowing with detergent.

Lana Turner and Spencer Tracy make a surprisingly appealing May/December couple in Cass Timberlane.

• Like 1

Highly recommended: None Shall Escape (Sept. 30). Very good Andre de Toth film imagining what a war crimes trial would be, even though WWII wasn't over yet.

Interesting bit of history: Dawson City, a documentary which simultaneously tells us a lot about the Alaska gold rush and the way movies were treated in their early days.

I haven't seen Madame Satan, The Golden Coach, or either of the Ozu Floating Weeds, and look forward to remedying that.

Oil for the Lamps of China shows the sacrifices that a man (Pat O'Brien) must make for his employer, even if that includes his wife (Josephine Hutchinson).

Mrs. Parkington has Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon at their most attractive, Greer gets fitted for a bustle, and Agnes Moorehead plays a phony countess. Probably my favorite Garson movie. Greer fans will also want to see The Valley of Decision, a solid domestic melodrama.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

9/13

Without Reservations.  I didn't know that Claudette Colbert made a film with John Wayne.  I'm not the biggest fan of Wayne, but I like Colbert and I'm curious about their pairing.

Be sure to look for Cary Grant's cameo in the Hollywood portion of the film.

• Like 1

Pretty standard schedule with some good choices on. Madame Satan is listed and I missed that when it was on last time. I'm glad to see the New Land scheduled again. That is a very fine film.

I'm happy Dean Martin is selected. (I'm just as happy as I was when I found out Steve McQueen was SOTM for July.) I've seen Oceans Eleven, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I would like to see At War With The Army.

DEAN MARTIN????????? Give me a BREAK!!!!!!!!! So many other deserving stars still waiting for SOTM Status. Where is JOAN BENNETT? LILLIAN GISH? MARION DAVIES? and on and on............

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hibi said:

DEAN MARTIN????????? Give me a BREAK!!!!!!!!! So many other deserving stars still waiting for SOTM Status. Where is JOAN BENNETT? LILLIAN GISH? MARION DAVIES? and on and on............

Yeah, I still don't understand why Joan Bennett is overlooked. She's never had a SUTS day or even a primetime spotlight, aside from two of her films with Fritz Lang being shown back to back one evening (but that was really meant to honor Lang).

Interesting choice for SOTM. I love Dino in BELLS ARE RINGING and SOME CAME RUNNING. Otherwise, pretty blah fare. I'm more interested in the spotlight on Black Experience in Film since several of my very favorite movies will be shown (again)

I'm compiling my list of what to record (titles I've never seen)

Thursday the 8th 7:45-6PM has a list of unusual titles. I've chosen THE WORLD CHANGES with Paul Muni Any recommendations for a title to pair it with to make a double feature?

I'm also going to record AN AMERICAN FRIEND by Wim Wenders. While like Bergman, Wenders are best seen in a theater, I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

In September I'll be recording:

West Point (1928) 9/2 - Early Joan Crawford I haven't seen.

Death of a Salesman (1985) 9/3 - This has been on before but I've never gotten around to it. It's one of the very few Dustin Hoffman things I haven't seen, and I like John Malkovich as well.

Hotel Reserve (1946) 9/4 - I'll record this for James Mason.

Our Blushing Brides (1930) 9/14 - Another Joan Crawford I haven't seen.

Hard to Get (1938) 9/16 - Olivia de Havilland comedy.

American Boy (1990) 9/17 - Documentary from Martin Scorsese. This is the highlight of the month for me.

Ten Seconds to Hell (1959) 9/22 - Robert Aldrich directed this postwar suspense film.

Italianamerican (1974) 9/24 - Documentary short from Scorsese, another highlight.

The Day They Robbed the Bank of England (1960) 9/25 - Early Peter O'Toole.

Black Girl (1966) 9/27 - I've read a lot of good stuff about this drama from Senegalese director Ousmane Sembene.

The Gangster (1947) 9/29 - A crime drama I haven't seen.

Some highlights for me:

The Fox (one of the best D.H. Lawrence adaptations)

Ship of Fools

Motel Hell ("It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.")

The Devil Is a Woman

Random Harvest

The Loved One

Black Girl  

Show Boat (1936)

Spring in Park Lane

The Wicked Lady

Black Orpheus

My Gal Sal

Many other favorite classics will be screened as well.

Lawrence said: AMERICAN BOY (1990) 9/17 - Documentary from Martin Scorsese. This is the highlight of the month for me. ITALIANAMERICAN (1974) 9/24 - Documentary short from Scorsese, another highlight.

Thank you. I've been trying to get a copy of ITALIANAMERICAN for YEARS. My family gets together Labor Day and since every one of us are into classic movies, catching up on them is a daily ritual......sadly it airs after I get back from the reunion!
This movie is a gem in capturing typical immigrant parents and the 70's time period. I just LOVE Marty's Mom, she could be any one of my aunts. People just don't speak as expressively anymore, I love how she emphasises everything. And the apartment-I remember that style of decorating! It also gives a very accurate glimpse into living in NYC

I know nothing of AMERICAN BOY, can you elaborate on it? This will make a great double feature DVD. THANKS!

I will put THE GANGSTER (1947) 9/29 on with my Paul Muni as a double feature.

Thanks Swithin for pointing out THE FOX (one of the best D.H. Lawrence adaptations) sounds interesting. THE LOVED ONE is one of my favorite films, and I like BLACK ORPHEUS. But I'm surprised how many of your pics are movies I absolutely loathe. Glad there's something for everyone!

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks Swithin for pointing out THE FOX (one of the best D.H. Lawrence adaptations) sounds interesting. THE LOVED ONE is one of my favorite films, and I like BLACK ORPHEUS. But I'm surprised how many of your pics are movies I absolutely loathe. Glad there's something for everyone!

Well, as the tagline for Motel Hell goes, "It takes all kinds of critters..."

Here are three ladies who will be with us in September:

SnarlingSillyAustralianfreshwatercrocodi

Marlene Dietrich as Concha Perez in The Devil Is a Woman, her favorite of her films. I actually prefer this version of the story to Bunuel's That Obscure Object of Desire.  Both are based on Pierre Louys' story, "The Woman and the Puppet."

The+Loved+One+04.JPG

Ayllene Gibbons as Mrs. Joyboy in The Loved One

Anne Heywood as Ellen March (with Sandy Dennis and Keir Dullea) in The Fox

On 6/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, speedracer5 said:

Toys in the Attic.  I just discovered Yvette Mimieux when I saw her in Where the Boys Are.  In addition to liking 'Boys,' I also found that I really liked Mimieux. 

You can also see Ms. Mimieux on September 1, in The Time Machine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I know nothing of AMERICAN BOY, can you elaborate on it? This will make a great double feature DVD. THANKS!

American Boy (1978...the TCM schedule has it as a 1990 release for some reason) is a short (less than an hour) look at Scorsese's friend Steven Prince. He's a real character. A former heroin addict, he became Neil Diamond's road manager, and Scorsese put Steven in Taxi Driver in the brief but very memorable role of "Easy Andy" the gun salesman. One of Prince's drug days stories may sound familiar: Quentin Tarantino later used it as the needle-in-the-heart scene in Pulp Fiction.

Steven Prince (right)

american-boy-profile-of-steven-prince-19

Prince with De Niro in Taxi Driver

taxi_driver_gunselling.jpg

• Thanks 2

I was never impressed by TAXI DRIVER. Doesn't sound like AMERICAN BOY will be of interest to me. But, since ITALIAN AMERICAN is so short, I might as well make it a double feature disk recording anyway. I may be pleasantly surprised!

My final recording list now includes: 9/8 VALLEY OF THE SUN '42, a 3 star movie with Lucille Ball I've never even heard of and 9/16 HARD TO GET '38 & THE GANGSTER '47 at the end of the month.

I already have all those Benchley shorts on a compilation disk, highly recommend them (along with the Joe McDoakes) they're a big hit with our film group.
If you've never seen 9/14 WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, it's one of my favorite pre-codes starring adorable Frankie Darro as a Depression era kid on his own, meeting up with other kids in the same position. It ends with a great acrobatic move-Darro came from a family of acrobats!

9/23 offers YOUNG IN HEART which is a very cute story starring the always sparkling Paulette Goddard. If you liked IT HAPPENED ON 5TH AVE, you'll like this one. There aren't enough good Goddard movies imho. And 9/25 features another favorite Aldo Ray. He may strike one note to some, but I like him.
Everything else notable for the month has already been mentioned.

• Like 1

The September schedule for Canada has still not appeared.  Are they holding it as leverage in NAFTA negotiations?