ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO
BANDOLERO!
5 CARD STUD
AIRPORT
SOMETHING BIG
SHOWDOWN
THE CANNONBALL RUN
THE CANNONBALL RUN II

Seems like a rather obvious choice when one considers the TCM Wine Club and those two hipster chefs are hawking a Dean Martin Zinfandel.

I tend to like Martin's movies as long as Jerry Lewis and Frank Sinatra aren't in them.  Probably not that good of a movie, but I have always liked Ada.  Rio Bravo is a good one. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I tend to like Martin's movies as long as Jerry Lewis and Frank Sinatra aren't in them.  Probably not that good of a movie, but I have always liked Ada.  Rio Bravo is a good one. 

Both of those are airing in September. I like RIO BRAVO too. In fact I wish they had done a whole evening of his westerns. There are some good ones he did at Paramount and Universal.

• Like 1

I’m very excited about the upcoming Dean Martin Movies. I remember watching the Dean Marin show when I was probably around nine/ten. I have a few old albums of his in the attic which I really need to find. Anyway can’t wait.  

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 6:56 AM, Cakane said:

I’m very excited about the upcoming Dean Martin Movies. I remember watching the Dean Marin show when I was probably around nine/ten. I have a few old albums of his in the attic which I really need to find. Anyway can’t wait.  

Sounds like some fun memories. You'll definitely enjoy TCM's programming in September.

• Like 1

I,m really looking forward to Dean Martin as Star Of The Month next month.  It will be so cool to see him in a whole bunch of his movies and musicals all month long and I,m not a member of the TCM Wine Club yet.  But I know which kind of Wine I would be drinking while watching him every week.  The Dean Martin Wine of course.  Can,t wait and just like Errol Flynn says as Robin Hood in The Adventures Of Robin Hood.  Are you with me?

• Like 1

On 8/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, David Guercio said:

I,m really looking forward to Dean Martin as Star Of The Month next month.  It will be so cool to see him in a whole bunch of his movies and musicals all month long and I,m not a member of the TCM Wine Club yet.  But I know which kind of Wine I would be drinking while watching him every week.  The Dean Martin Wine of course.  Can,t wait and just like Errol Flynn says as Robin Hood in The Adventures Of Robin Hood.  Are you with me?

Too bad TCM doesn't offer individual sales of its wines and we could order multiple bottles.  I wouldn't mind a couple of bottles of the Dean Martin wine myself.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, TheCid said:

I am more interested in Dean's movies without a sidekick.  A little Jerry goes a long way with me and if Frank is in a movie with Dean you know Frank will get top billing.  I like Rio Bravo, too, and Dean has a nice number with Ricky Nelson if I remember correctly.  I'm also interested in the Matt Helm flicks.  I haven't see those.

I think it would be kind of awesome if TCM could run some of his old TV show.  I remember when he introduced The Rolling Stones and he said, "You'd roll too if you were stoned"  with the ever-present cocktail in his hand, of course.  😊

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I am more interested in Dean's movies without a sidekick.  A little Jerry goes a long way with me and if Frank is in a movie with Dean you know Frank will get top billing.  I like Rio Bravo, too, and Dean has a nice number with Ricky Nelson if I remember correctly.  I'm also interested in the Matt Helm flicks.  I haven't see those.

I think it would be kind of awesome if TCM could run some of his old TV show.  I remember when he introduced The Rolling Stones and he said, "You'd roll too if you were stoned"  with the ever-present cocktail in his hand, of course.  😊

I think one of the other movieish TV channels periodically shows the Matt Helm movies.  They are entertaining, but closer to comedy than the other "spy" movies of the period.

Not in favor of TCM running any old TV shows as it starts down a slippery slope.  Although, I believe they did do a series of Johnny Carson shows?  Or maybe that was segments related to movie personalities.

7 hours ago, TheCid said:

I think one of the other movieish TV channels periodically shows the Matt Helm movies.  They are entertaining, but closer to comedy than the other "spy" movies of the period.

Not in favor of TCM running any old TV shows as it starts down a slippery slope.  Although, I believe they did do a series of Johnny Carson shows?  Or maybe that was segments related to movie personalities.

I see your point about the old TV shows.  I wouldn't want TCM to shift their focus from movies to old TV shows, either but it might have been fun to show bits from a couple of Dean's shows.  Yeah, the Johnny Carson clips are generally interviews with actors who are being featured on TCM that particular day and run like 15 minutes.  I do remember a few years ago TCM ran an evening of Carson interviews with classic film stars.

On 8/20/2018 at 7:52 AM, TheCid said:

No, you're correct. TCM has shown Carson's celebrity interviews as a block and afterwards too. Doris Day's Carosn interview was shown on her day, I think. That was during this SUTS. 

• Like 1

I was actually more intrigued by TB's list of what wasn't being shown. A lot of the movies being programmed have shown up before, some in semi-regular rotation. Career is more of a rarity and it would have been nice if it had made the cut, even though it's a bit of a sudser. I'd also love to see those three early-60's sex comedies, All in a Night's Work with Shirley MacLaine, Who's Got the Action? with Lana Turner, and Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? with Elizabeth Montgomery and Carol Burnett, all three of which are rarely if ever shown. If they found room for all four Matt Helm movies, it seems as though they could have worked in one of those comedies as a change of pace. (Kiss Me, Stupid doesn't count; that's in its own way-out category.) It would also have been a perfect opportunity for TCM to program the 2001 documentary Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days, about the filming of Something's Got to Give, her final, uncompleted film. The documentary reveals the previously unknown fact that Marilyn had actually been rehired by Fox right before her death to complete the film and that she had made it conditional on Martin's availability. The doc includes a 40-minute widescreen restoration from the surviving footage of what the film would have looked like and it seems as though Dean and Marilyn had really good chemistry, despite the difficult shoot. Anyway, I think Dean remains an underrated star, so I'm glad to see him get the attention.

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

I was actually more intrigued by TB's list of what wasn't being shown. A lot of the movies being programmed have shown up before, some in semi-regular rotation. Career is more of a rarity and it would have been nice if it had made the cut, even though it's a bit of a sudser. I'd also love to see those three early-60's sex comedies, All in a Night's Work with Shirley MacLaine, Who's Got the Action? with Lana Turner, and Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed? with Elizabeth Montgomery and Carol Burnett, all three of which are rarely if ever shown. If they found room for all four Matt Helm movies, it seems as though they could have worked in one of those comedies as a change of pace. (Kiss Me, Stupid doesn't count; that's in its own way-out category.) It would also have been a perfect opportunity for TCM to program the 2001 documentary Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days, about the filming of Something's Got to Give, her final, uncompleted film. The documentary reveals the previously unknown fact that Marilyn had actually been rehired by Fox right before her death to complete the film and that she had made it conditional on Martin's availability. The doc includes a 40-minute widescreen restoration from the surviving footage of what the film would have looked like and it seems as though Dean and Marilyn had really good chemistry, despite the difficult shoot. Anyway, I think Dean remains an underrated star, so I'm glad to see him get the attention.

They seem to pick Columbia releases (the Matt Helm movies) if they rent from an outside studio. So this means the Paramount titles are usually neglected. I agree that CAREER would have been a great selection, a chance to see him in a different kind of role.

I love Bells Are Ringing, especially the scene where they're on the street saying hello to everyone, really makes me laugh. Also like Toys in the Attic, Carrie being one of my most hated characters! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Did anybody have some Dean Martin Wine last night while they were watching?

No. Did you? :) 

Nope.  I was just checking in.  I really enjoyed it last night.  I thought it was a really cool start with Ben showing some of the movies that Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis did together.  I thought it was so neat and so cool.  I just loved it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Did anybody have some Dean Martin Wine last night while they were watching?

I drank my Dean Martin wine a few months ago. It was delicious. I think I may have drank it while watching “Bells Are Ringing.”