Silent Bob

What has happened to your Programing?

39 posts in this topic

The quality of programing on TCM has declined drastically since Mr. Osborne's passing.  If I want to binge watch a single theme all day there are already 20 channels that do that.  You are becoming repetitive, your decision to showcase B level serials is a serious disappointment. Only a few months ago TCM always had something worth watching, now it goes several days without an interesting or noteworthy program.  I suggest you rethink your programing adjustments.

2 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

The quality of programing on TCM has declined drastically since Mr. Osborne's passing.  If I want to binge watch a single theme all day there are already 20 channels that do that.  You are becoming repetitive, your decision to showcase B level serials is a serious disappointment. Only a few months ago TCM always had something worth watching, now it goes several days without an interesting or noteworthy program.  I suggest you rethink your programing adjustments.

Showing the various film series in a row was the theme for May, and now that the month has ended, you won't see that again. 

Welcome to the Boards, Silent Bob.  We've always had somebody complaining about programming; you can't please everybody all the time.  TCM attempts to showcase different sorts of films for its fans who have a wide range of interests.  Lots of fans love the B serials and they haven't been showcased that much (except for maybe LASSIE).

What constitutes "an interesting or noteworthy program" to you?

My programming is fine, thank you.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

It was only for one month but yeah, I wasn't exactly thrilled about the programming blocks either. The September schedule is up if you want to check it for movies you might like.

These kinds of threads seem like click-bait. Ironic the poster's name is Silent Bob yet he could not be silent about his displeasure with TCM.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Ironic the poster's name is Silent Bob yet he could not be silent about his displeasure with TCM.

You beat me to it!

What's the difference between complaining about film series and complaining about war movies over Memorial Day?

4 hours ago, Fedya said:

What's the difference between complaining about film series and complaining about war movies over Memorial Day?

In one case the OP suggested balance, a limiting on how many hours was devoted to the theme and provided programming alternatives. In this case the OP offered no solutions and seems to have created an account just to bash TCM.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In one case the OP suggested balance, a limiting on how many hours was devoted to the theme and provided programming alternatives. In this case the OP offered no solutions and seems to have created an account just to bash TCM.

I pay an extra $10 per month for a package to receive TCM. I watch only one other channel in that package (INSP). While I do get my $10 worth, TCM programming is repetitive. Auntie Mame, playing now, is shown frequently. Yankee Doodle Dandy plays this month, and in it's obvious time slot in July. Many of the people here have ideas, but who is listening? I have not been with TCM for all that long. It use to cost closer to $20 per month extra for the cable package with TCM. I have to negotiate a new deal annually with Xfinity. I will keep TCM no matter what.

One solution I can suggest is showing a single movie no more than four times a year. Each time would be in a different six-hour time window. TCM should realize, once we start subscribing to the channel, we stay. That is when programming gets repetitive. We are all different. Some watch TCM in real-time. Some use DVR. I live in California where prime-time is at 5 PM. There are oodles of items for TCM to work on. This goes back before the loss of Robert Osborne. Could have something to do with Time-Warner. Don't know.

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

snore.png

This is getting old.

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

I pay an extra $10 per month for a package to receive TCM. I watch only one other channel in that package (INSP). While I do get my $10 worth, TCM programming is repetitive. Auntie Mame, playing now, is shown frequently. Yankee Doodle Dandy plays this month, and in it's obvious time slot in July. Many of the people here have ideas, but who is listening? I have not been with TCM for all that long. It use to cost closer to $20 per month extra for the cable package with TCM. I have to negotiate a new deal annually with Xfinity. I will keep TCM no matter what.

One solution I can suggest is showing a single movie no more than four times a year. Each time would be in a different six-hour time window. TCM should realize, once we start subscribing to the channel, we stay. That is when programming gets repetitive. We are all different. Some watch TCM in real-time. Some use DVR. I live in California where prime-time is at 5 PM. There are oodles of items for TCM to work on. This goes back before the loss of Robert Osborne. Could have something to do with Time-Warner. Don't know.

TCM has x-number of titles in its vast library. They seem to cycle through most of them in a three-year period. Some films will be repeated before others, it's just the way it goes. 

Basically all programming gimmicks have been used. It's all been done. They should just concentrate on showing good films and not ignoring the films of the 1920s and 1930s. in the rush toward showing "newer" stuff to attract younger audiences. I can't imagine how a day-long gimmick of showing films with the word "straw" or "salmon" (or whatever) in the title attracts anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Silent Bob said:

oh they're sure do that.

:lol:

TCM is not the only place for classics. It is just the easiest. I would suggest to anyone who is that tired of TCM, to look at alternatives. FilmStruck, as LawrenceA will tell you, is not TCM. I believe he has both TCM and FilmStruck. I am not ready to pitch TCM or jump into the streaming world. FilmStruck looks interesting, and being an on-demand provider, YOU are in charge of what to watch. With TCM via cable or satellite, you get a teaser rate in exchange for a commitment. With either TCM on a streaming service, or FilmStruck, you are not stuck. Payments, as I understand it, since I don't use anything but cable, are by the month. Don't like it? Cancel. What happened last month got under my skin. The theme stuff was over the top. I pay more attention to the themes now, as The Now Playing Guide in no longer coming to my mailbox, and I use the TCM schedule on this site. It clearly displays the themes. We all groan about something. Just look at the other threads in this category.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

TCM has x-number of titles in its vast library. They seem to cycle through most of them in a three-year period. Some films will be repeated before others, it's just the way it goes. 

Did some digging, and my first Now Playing Guide was Kim Novak. That was September of 2013. Chances are, I did not have TCM for much more than a year prior to that. So I should have had a chance at every movie by now. Does TCM play movies only from their library? Maybe Spencer Tracy's EMERAC computer from Desk Set could come in handy to create TCM playlists.

2 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Did some digging, and my first Now Playing Guide was Kim Novak. That was September of 2013. Chances are, I did not have TCM for much more than a year prior to that. So I should have had a chance at every movie by now. Does TCM play movies only from their library? Maybe Spencer Tracy's EMERAC computer from Desk Set could come in handy to create TCM playlists.

I think the better question is to ask how many MGM, WB, RKO, UA and Monogram/Allied Artists titles are in the Turner/TCM Library. Then go from there.

MGM started in 1925 and Turner acquired all the studio's titles up through 1986. So that's 60 solid years worth of material, including features as well as short films. RKO was in operation from 1929 to 1957 and Turner acquired all of those, so that's 38 years worth of those titles. Monogram ran from 1935 to 1952/53 and then continued as Allied Artists which actually overlapped with Monogram going back to '47; and Allied Artists continued until the 80s. So the Monogram/AA stuff is another 50 years worth of material. Warners and its subsidiary First National was making films in the 20s, and I think Turner bought all those titles up through 1986. Then there's the UA stuff which startsd back to the late 1910s and goes up through the 80s. So we are literally talking thousands of titles if you figure out what was produced during those years and add them all up.

Some titles were sold to outside studios like Universal. And MGM bought some titles from studios like Universal (such as SHOW BOAT) to remake, meaning there are some extra titles included in the Turner package. Then we have the Hal Roach productions which are part of the package and include some of Roach's TV catalogue which TCM plays on occasion.

So probably I was wrong when I said all the titles cycle through in a three year period. It's probably more like five years or longer before everything cycles though, and if they opt to play NORTH BY NORTHWEST more often, then that takes time away from other titles that have to wait longer to be rebroadcast.

In other words this would be a very extensive, time consuming project to figure out all of what TCM has access to in the Turner library and then to figure out on average how often certain titles are replayed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must thank you TopBilled, with more than just a mouse click. That is amazing information. With all those titles, I could easily imagine multiple TCM channels. I would love to have TCM Musicals. I am thinking five, maybe six genres, where some movies would qualify for more than one category. Hallmark, for example, has three channels. I have suggested before to have TCM become a premium service, like Starz.

11 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I must thank you TopBilled, with more than just a mouse click. That is amazing information. With all those titles, I could easily imagine multiple TCM channels. I would love to have TCM Musicals. I am thinking five, maybe six genres, where some movies would qualify for more than one category. Hallmark, for example, has three channels. I have suggested before to have TCM become a premium service, like Starz.

You're welcome. I neglected to mention the many British films they have access to...so that's hundreds more.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Welcome to the Boards, Silent Bob.  We've always had somebody complaining about programming; you can't please everybody all the time.  TCM attempts to showcase different sorts of films for its fans who have a wide range of interests.  Lots of fans love the B serials and they haven't been showcased that much (except for maybe LASSIE).

What constitutes "an interesting or noteworthy program" to you?

I have been a fan and dedicated viewer of TCM for over 2 decades, I joined this board for the specific purpose of voicing my disappointment with the obvious changes in programing over the past several months.  To clarify, I am familiar with TCM's monthly themes and I have often enjoyed the variety they provide; however two whole days of Tarzan films is, followed by a day of Andy Hardy, and so on is just too much.  Not that I haven't enjoyed other themes, but it these are hardly quality example films.  And this is just the latest example of what IMHO exhibits a decline in programing choices.  

In the past, it seems to me at least, that lesser known and generally less interesting films were scattered between better quality productions.  Lately however, I am seeing a more dense exposure of films that were poor stories when they were made and haven't aged well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

This is getting old.

So sorry to bore you.

16 minutes ago, Silent Bob said:

I have been a fan and dedicated viewer of TCM for over 2 decades, I joined this board for the specific purpose of voicing my disappointment with the obvious changes in programing over the past several months.  To clarify, I am familiar with TCM's monthly themes and I have often enjoyed the variety they provide; however two whole days of Tarzan films is, followed by a day of Andy Hardy, and so on is just too much.  Not that I haven't enjoyed other themes, but it these are hardly quality example films.  And this is just the latest example of what IMHO exhibits a decline in programing choices.  

In the past, it seems to me at least, that lesser known and generally less interesting films were scattered between better quality productions.  Lately however, I am seeing a more dense exposure of films that were poor stories when they were made and haven't aged well.

yes, tcm has been getting away with an unacceptable degree of programming slackness for years and are the fixed film coffer champs of all time.

3 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

TCM is not the only place for classics. It is just the easiest. I would suggest to anyone who is that tired of TCM, to look at alternatives. FilmStruck, as LawrenceA will tell you, is not TCM. I believe he has both TCM and FilmStruck. I am not ready to pitch TCM or jump into the streaming world. FilmStruck looks interesting, and being an on-demand provider, YOU are in charge of what to watch. With TCM via cable or satellite, you get a teaser rate in exchange for a commitment. With either TCM on a streaming service, or FilmStruck, you are not stuck. Payments, as I understand it, since I don't use anything but cable, are by the month. Don't like it? Cancel. What happened last month got under my skin. The theme stuff was over the top. I pay more attention to the themes now, as The Now Playing Guide in no longer coming to my mailbox, and I use the TCM schedule on this site. It clearly displays the themes. We all groan about something. Just look at the other threads in this category.

Depending on where you live, the library can also be an excellent resource to locate classic films. Provided, the movie has to be on DVD/Blu Ray for it to be available, but I've watched many movies that I've wanted to see for free just by requesting the film through my county's library service.  I live in the Portland, OR metro area however, so I recognize that smaller communities may not have the same resources. 

54 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

yes, tcm has been getting away with an unacceptable degree of programming slackness for years and are the fixed film coffer champs of all time.

Tell us how you really feel. :)

• Haha 1