Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Movies you almost despair of seeing on TCM

66 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2018 at 9:26 AM, dhardhag said:

Has TCM ever shown “Beyond the Forest”.  Turner used to have it in their library—they ran it occasionally on TNT.

Yes, they used to run it often. But there are rights issues now. Dont think it's been run in over 15 years. :(

I think the L'age D'Or was on TCM, the same year as that endless documentary on film narrated by the Irish guy with the extremely boring voice.

I would like TCM to air Loyalties, a 1933 Brit film about anti-Semitism starring Basil Rathbone.  I believe it was shown at the British Museum within the past 10 years, so copies may be available.

I'd like to see some of Anna Neagle's work, especially from the 30s and 40s.  I just saw her in Lilacs in the Spring, a later film which she made in the 50s with Errol Flynn, and I thought she was delightful and very talented.  I heard she was one of Britian's top box office draws.

11 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Thanks, Slayton! I own the album to "O Lucky Man". Any Alan Price fans would totally enjoy it!

Posted (edited)
On June 18, 2018 at 1:23 AM, MovieCollectorOH said:

I double-checked and was able to verify that The Dead actually did play back in June 2010.  I've added this one in by hand.

If I remember it has aired more than once.  But I am not so fanatic to undergo the extreme agony of searching the schedules.

Edited by slaytonf
Unconsciously pilfered an adjective from a Cave Girl post. I know adjectives belong to everyone, but I prefer to allow space between the use of salient ones.

25 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I was unaware of his contributions to this movie. I have the cover of "I Put a Spell on You" by the Alan Price Set from 1966 in my iTunes collection.

An Actor's Revenge (1963).  You may wonder as you watch this excellent movie by Kon Ichikawa wether it is the Japanese incarnation of The Count of Monte Cristo.  That's understandable, as almost any revenge fantasy can be identified with it.  And this movie does have three offenders.  But the revenger is not the direct victim, his parents were.  And he's not a fabulously wealthy man of mystery, just a fabulously famous Kabuki actor (female impersonator).  Wellanyway.  The movie is only slightly infected with the flying martial artism that cripples so many later ones.  It tells a bleak, cynical tale of an inherently corrupt world, filled with double-dealers, deceivers, and naive innocents. Where everyone is either a taker or taken, a  thief or thieved, where the guilty and innocent alike suffer.  Lots of fun.  Ultimately, revenge is sweet--or would be it the one seeking it liked sweets.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, slaytonf said:

Lots of good music from this movie!

And Hellen Mirren!

Yes, I have the soundtrack.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:25 AM, slaytonf said:

Lots of good music from this movie!

And Helen Mirren!

You know, one of the funny things about coming late to a thread is it sometimes you have no idea what the most recent posts are about. I was searching my mind for what movie you could be talking about, and I could come up with was CALIGULA. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to see "Love At First Bite" on TCM.

Speaking of 79 movies I'd like to see TCM has never shown North Dallas Forty, The Wanderers, All that Jazz, Saint Jack or Quadrophenia.  It also has not shown 1978's Go Tell the Spartans.  It has shown The Warriors twice a decade ago, The Europeans once in 2011, and Over the Edge in a list of 1979 movies that I'd forgotten about, three times or so in the last five years.

• Thanks 1

Gonna drag this thread back to the front of the pack.

TCM use to play "soundies." Haven't seen any in a long time.

Le Doulos (1963).  People turn on their friends and longtime associates, to the point of killing.  They betray the ones they love.  The most disreputable prove to be most trustworthy and reliable.  Is the world upside down?  Is wrong right?  No, the villains and virtuous are not what they seem.  So maybe the world is right, and good prevails.  Virtue rewarded, justice done. . . .Nah.  Everybody ends up wounded or dead, even the innocent.

One of Melville's best.

On 6/14/2018 at 4:18 PM, skimpole said:

Here are the movies from theyshootpictures.com top 500 that have never been on TCM:

#335  El (1952, Bunuel)

#337  The Green Ray (1986, Rohmer)

#339  Lost Highway (1997, Lynch)

The Green Ray will be showing in October.

6 hours ago, skimpole said:

The Green Ray will be showing in October.

Yay!

One of the movies I most despair of ever seeing on TCM is 'Enemy from Space' (1957). In the UK it's known by its original title 'Quatermass 2' - which I believe was the first time in history that a theatrical movie was given a numbered suffix.

It's so odd, considering that other "Quatermass" entries such as 'X the Unknown' (1956) and 'Five Million Years to Earth' (1967) are shown regularly by TCM.

And yet, for some inexplicable reason, the best one in the series - 'Enemy from Space' - is never shown. If you doubt it's the best, go read the comments at IMDb. It is the best.

Back in the early 60's, 'Enemy from Space' played on the Late Show frequently. It's disappearance is perplexing.