Pastiche

Most disliked musical or musical number

99 posts in this topic

Saw "La La Land" in a theatre a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe the amateurish garbage that passes for dancing in movie musicals today.  The only decent dance number was done in silouette, because none of the stars in the show could dance a step.   The film got raves and awards galore... but I just didn't see it.  Emma Stone doesn't belong in musicals, and how she got the Best Actress Oscar is beyond my comprehension.  Did she get it for her pretty face?  But, as I said, the film was a smash so maybe it's my problem... and I'd better to stick to the classics.  (By the way, "Chicago", a relatively recent musical, was absolutely magnificent... one of the best ever made.  I can watch it over and over.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lover-o-Classics said:

Saw "La La Land" in a theatre a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe the amateurish garbage that passes for dancing in movie musicals today.  The only decent dance number was done in silouette, because none of the stars in the show could dance a step.   The film got raves and awards galore... but I just didn't see it.  Emma Stone doesn't belong in musicals, and how she got the Best Actress Oscar is beyond my comprehension.  Did she get it for her pretty face?  But, as I said, the film was a smash so maybe it's my problem... and I'd better to stick to the classics.  (By the way, "Chicago", a relatively recent musical, was absolutely magnificent... one of the best ever made.  I can watch it over and over.)

I didn't think La La Land was that great either.  I literally forgot the songs as soon as they ended. Perhaps it could have been better had some actors with actual song and dance talent were cast.  I like Emma Stone in other things, but she wasn't that great in this film.  I have no idea how she won the Oscar.  I have never been a big fan of Ryan Gosling.  I just don't understand what's so great about him.  He's not even attractive.  Sometimes, even some eye candy can save a film, but there wasn't any to be seen in this film.

I would rather watch a film starring Mickey Rooney and Kathryn Grayson and that's saying a lot because I can't stand either. 

My favorite modern musical is Moulin Rouge! I could watch that film over and over and never tire of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say my least favorite musical is "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" or as I have heard it described, the Stockholm Syndrome musical. Lots of cringe worthy moments, the highlight or lowlight being "The Sobbing Women" number where Adam convinces his six other brothers to kidnap their crushes. Great dance number at the barn raising but the rest of the movie,yikes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lover-o-Classics said:

Saw "La La Land" in a theatre a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe the amateurish garbage that passes for dancing in movie musicals today.  .... (By the way, "Chicago", a relatively recent musical, was absolutely magnificent... one of the best ever made.  I can watch it over and over.)

La La Land seemed to me at best a college film class project.   Not even a good college film class project.  (For good, see THX 1137 which grew out of a George Lucas college film project)   It wasn't even a good parody of a musical.  

Chicago was one of the best interpolations of stage into film.  Even people I've known who can't stand musicals because of the fakey sudden breaking into song and dance have told me they liked it.  I think in part because the director gives you non-music sound cues to alert you that you're going into a fantasy sequence, such as the laughing audience cuts,  or the sounds Roxy hears in her cell building into the Cell Block Tango.  But in my "director's cut" the numbers Roxy and Mr. Cellophane would have been dropped.  Boring filler.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TCM should do a series on the biggest musical flops (if they haven't already).  Just to see all this awfulness in a row would be stupendous.  Or maybe spread them out over several weeks, so we could fully savor their ghastliness    

I remembered another one:  Lost Horizon (1973).  Part of Roger Ebert's review:

"I don’t know how much Ross Hunter paid Burt Bacharach and Hal David to write the music for “Lost Horizon,” but whatever it was, it was too much. Not that the movie would have been better if the music were better; no, the movie is awful on its own. But the music is really bad. About two hours into the movie, Bobby Van has a birthday party and they sing “Happy Birthday” to him. That’s the one you’ll come out humming."

"....Meanwhile, several other young men twirl orange scarves. I mention this particular number because, if you go to the movie, I want you to look out for it. You wouldn’t want to spend all that money and miss the worst single piece of choreography you’ve ever seen in your life. The dancers march about and twirl their scarves as if Leni Reifenstahl’s “Triumph of the Will” had somehow been gotten pregnant by Busby Berkeley."

• Haha 1

Here's my 2 cents worth. I have seen many musicals on stage and off. But if I didn't like the play but loved the music, I bought the sound track. That way I could sing along and not worry about the rest of the play. One of my favorite musicals is fairly recent--WICKED! Saw it on stage 6 times and loved every m,inute. Don't know what they will do to it when they make into a movie. More recent is--THE GREATEST SHOWMAN! I am not a fan of Hip Hop but you don't even notice it in the movie. The sound track is wonderful to work out to.

Terrible musical number would be from Camelot with Richard Harris singing. And Bye-bye Birdie! Stupid movie!

Favorite musical --anything from the 50's! Have them all and go through them quite often.

• Like 1

What happened to dubbing? None of the leads in The Man of LaMancha could sing - they should all have been dubbed. Or cast with actors who could sing. Such a great show - but the movie is just terrible. Such a disappointment when it came out.

But honestly, i’m sure the worst movie musical of all time must be Pepe! Starring Cantinflas and Shirley Jones, it’s just excruciatingly bad. You should see it at least once to put all other bad musicals in perspective. Shirley singing:  “P-E-P-E”. Oh my goodness to heaven!

This class has given me a new appreciation of Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy, so I guess I have to take them off my “dislike” list.

I really tried to watch Good News again for this class, but I still couldn’t get past the first 20 minutes (which is actually longer than I ever made it into the movie before). Just something about Peter Lawford and June Allyson that sets my teeth on edge. I mentioned this to a couple of my movie-loving friends, and they agreed, so at least I know I’m not alone.

And I can’t stand Grease, either. The stage version I can deal with, but the movie—nope.

On 6/8/2018 at 9:33 PM, Lover-o-Classics said:

Saw "La La Land" in a theatre a couple of years ago, and couldn't believe the amateurish garbage that passes for dancing in movie musicals today.  The only decent dance number was done in silouette, because none of the stars in the show could dance a step.   The film got raves and awards galore... but I just didn't see it.  

I agree. A friend who is also into movies told me that I would love it, but I just didn’t. He said, “If you like Singing in the Rain, you’ll like LaLa Land.” Nope. It might have been better with other actors, who knows?

P.S. I really wish that Patrick Swayze had had the chance to make real musicals. Imagine a Gene Kelly biopic starring Swayze.

If you look at La La Land through the lens of its inspiration, the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, I think it makes more sense. The charm of that movie was how unschooled and naturalistic the singers were. The music is seamless with the action, more like an opera, not tacked on or wedged into scenes. Of course if you hated that movie then you'll probably hate La La Land too ?

Surprised at all the hate for Grease! It was the soundtrack to my later high school years. At the time in my house, the 50s revival was in full swing and that was my parents' teenage decade, so it had more meaning for me, maybe.

Unfortunately, I think I'll make it through fewer than a third of the musicals for this final week. So many I dislike or even despise :( For me, so many are stagey, poorly lit, poorly scripted, and cynical. Hoping that our trusty professors can at least help me see some positives in this stage of movie musical evolution. Tommy, Bye-Bye Birdie, (was in the play in h.s. still don't like it), Godspell,(even though I loved the music), 1776, even my beloved Judy Holliday in Bells are Ringing...ugh. I guess certain eras just speak to us while others don't.

I would have to say the musical I dislike the most is The Pirate with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  The music and story just never seemed to flow for me and at times I would just get lost in the whole thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vldehle said:

I would have to say the musical I dislike the most is The Pirate with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.  The music and story just never seemed to flow for me and at times I would just get lost in the whole thing.

After it came up on the TCM schedule yet again I decided to sit down and really try to watch that movie and figure out the plot– I got pretty close, thought I had it, but couldn't describe it to you now LOL Isolated scenes and songs are pretty good though…

• Like 2

It was hard watching the boyfriend. I felt like it was a bad “take” on Monty Python and I love Monty Python.  They all need acting lessons.  Dancing seemed forced.  I understand it’s a comedy but yikes!  Not sure how this made it into this great musical course. 

On 6/26/2018 at 11:05 AM, KayeA said:

This class has given me a new appreciation of Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy, so I guess I have to take them off my “dislike” list. 

And I can’t stand Grease, either. The stage version I can deal with, but the movie—nope.

Agree with you.  Yes to Jeanette and Nelson and no to Grease (I don't even like the stage version).

I have several: I am not a fan of Hello Dolly or Cats but movie musicals I hate Bye, Bye, Birdie and Les Miserables.  

When my dad and I heard that Les Miz was being made into a movie we were so excited.  It had been promised since the stage musical became a big hit.  As soon as Russell Crowe opened his mouth i was like "oh here we go ..Yuck"  Now i just pretend that it doesn't even exist.  The cinematography is really annoying (extreme close ups of the actors face) just to prove they were singing live.  If they wanted people to sing live they should have gotten people for the film that did that for a living 8 shows a week.   Sadly they picked people for their name.

As much as I adore Judy Garland, I can’t say I much like In the Good Old Summertime. It’s not her fault, she gives the best performance she can under the circumstances. But the garish color and clumsy slapstick are a very poor substitute for the beautiful comedy of The Shop Around the Corner.

On 6/4/2018 at 12:40 PM, SueK said:

Being a musical lover most of my life, I have seen countless musicals both on stage and on screen.  I am most disappointed when I love the stage show and hate the movie.  

Musical I Can't Stand:  Grease - hate the music, the storyline, and the actors.  Dislike the stage version even more.

Loved the Stage Show, Hated the Movie:  Man of La Mancha (Sophia Loren is a horrible Aldonza);

The Wiz (fabulous on stage, dismal as a movie. This is what happens when you place star names above creativity);

Musical Numbers I Can't Stand:  Anything Russell Crowe sang in Les Miz

Songs I don't like:

• Gigi: Thank Heavens for Little Girls (Oy! Such a perv moment!)
  • Band Wagon: The shoeshine song is SO racist.
  • Rodgers and Hammerstein wrote several snooze-fest songs that drag on and on and on.

Musicals I don't like:

• Hello, Dolly!
  • Gigi, to an extent
  • The Band Wagon, to an extent
  • Carousel, even though I enjoy one of the songs
  • Oklahoma!
  • The Music Man
  • The King and I
  • Show Boat

Funny no one mentioned Lost Horizons, or maybe it was so awful it's become forgotten?  "Lost Horizon was such a poor performer at the box office that the film subsequently gained the nickname "Lost Investments." Bette Midler alluded to it as "Lost Her-Reason" and famously quipped, "I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical." (Wikipedia)  Burt Bacharach even said Lost Horizon came close to ending his musical career. 

I had never seen Tommy before seeing it on TCM the other night.  And having seen it I can safely say I'll probably never see it again, there was just too much that I didn't like about it.

I have to agree with Speedracer5 I couldn't stand the "Heavenly Music" number from Summer Stock, those yodeling-gap-toothed bumpkins were painful to watch...Eddie Bracken and blustering father, nope didn't like them either.  And sorry Dr. A but I didn't really care for a bucolic Judy in overalls singing and rumbling down the road on a tractor.  While I end up watching it when it shows up on the telly, I have to say I really don't like Summer Stock except for Judy's "Friendly Star" and "Get Happy" number (even though I'm not crazy about the choreography).  And I think Gene inventing a "spur-of-the moment dance " utilizing a newspaper and the barns creaky boards as partners is brilliant.

As far as the "Triplets" number, I'm sort of ambivalent, but I can remember hearing Danny Kaye sing it on an album of children's songs, and I think it can be found on YouTube.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:53 PM, chillyfillyinak said:

Well, before "Mama Mia," "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" was my least  favorite movie musical. Afterwards, you guessed it; "Mama Mia."

I agree with Sarah Last about Annie Get Your Gun.  Ludicrous casting, ridiculous songs.  Although I don't hate it quite as much as Calamity Jane

And I agree with you about Mama Mia.  Great cast wasted on Abba songs and thin plot.

Both are just awful.