LKitten16

What movies are you watching this week?

48 posts in this topic

I watched all of the recommended movies. Watched Wizard of Oz with my mom. We used to watch it on TV when I was small - I hide behind the couch from the wicked witch.  So fun to watch it together 50 years later!

Watched Wizard of Oz for what must be the 50th time in my life (not complaining). Today watched Born to Dance, 42nd Street and Footlight Parade. Hallelujah is on my list as well.  For next week it will be the recommended films. I've never seen (or even heard of) Cabin in the Sky so looking forward to that.

1 hour ago, Bucsnan said:

Where can I find the list of recommended movies? Thanks!

If you log on to the course at learn.Canvas.net go to Modules on the left-hand and you will see Film Viewing Recommendations listed under Resources

For the first week I also caught Strike Me Pink which was enjoyable. 

This week I got Take Me Out to the Ball Game, On the Town, Cabin in the Sky, You Were Never Lovelier, Yankee Doodle Dandy and Moon Over Miami. 

I've seen the first two but really like Gene Kelly. Saw Cabin but would like to view it again. The other three I've not seen. 

Today, I watched part of The Harvey Girls and now I am watching The Pirate, both starring Judy Garland.

• Like 1

I finished the films I was going to watch yesterday and enjoyed so much I wound up recording overnight Strike Up the Band, Meet Me in St Louis and Good News. Another day of musicals for me :) 

I actually recorded all but one of Tuesday's shows and have watched all but 6 or so of them (working on Take Me Out to the Ball Game right now). My least favorites so far have been The Pirate and Words and Music. I enjoyed the music in the latter, but the acting wasn't that great, and the movie seemed to drag on a bit too long. I can't help but think of how different it would be if it were made today. Hart's life wouldn't have been quite so sanitized. I'm sure they'd play up his alcoholism and sexual preferences.

I own most of the films in the lineup, particularly the 50s and 60s. So what I'm doing is watching the two films that air on TCM Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'm home from work (from 7 p.m. to midnight), and I watch films from my own collection Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays that correlate to the week's decade and theme. Since Judy Garland's birthday was this week, I'm focusing on her. I save Easter Parade for (of course) Easter and Meet Me in St. Louis for Christmas every year, so I'm not including those. My lineup is:

Presenting Lilly Mars

For Me and My Gal

The Harvey Girls

The Pirate

In the Good Old Summertime

Words and Music

For the 50s, I'm planning to watch:

Summer Stock

An American in Paris

Singin' in the Rain

The Band Wagon

Kiss Me Kate

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

A Star is Born

High Society

The King and I

60/70s:

Bells Are Ringing

West Side Story 

The Music Man

Gypsy 

My Fair Lady 

The Sound of Music 

Funny Girl

Fiddler on the Roof

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Jesus Christ Superstar

Godspell

Cabaret

The Slipper and the Rose

I probably won't get to all of these, but that's the longterm goal. 

God bless the DVR! Grant it I own most of these movies (especially the Judy Garland/June Allyson ones), I'm just too lazy to find them and play them on my dvd/bluray player. I'm seeing a trend as in most of the films are MGM. I think I'll try to watch some Doris Day ones as well (she was Warner Bros except for Take Me or Leave Me). The 40s and the 50s musicals are my favorite!

I have many of the movies in my film library; I use the DVR for any I want to watch that I don't own.   I watched Three Smart Girls, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Hallelujah, a few musical numbers from my Busby Berkeley collection, and I'm planning to watch (for the umpteenth time) Cabin in the Sky (one of my favorites).  I also watched Broadway Melody and even got my musical-loathing husband to watch.  That was a feat in itself. 

I am having so much fun with this course!  

New week, more movies! Going for Band Wagon, Singing in the Rain, Show Boat, Pal Joey, Guys and Dolls, Seven Brides and Million Dollar Mermaid. And possibly more based off the lecture video which keeps happening lol

Is there a list of recommended movies this week (June 18th)?  I, like others, own many of the movies, and have them available digitally.  

I do a lot of work from home,  so I try to watch on Tues and Thurs as many as possible.  I'm DVR-ing most of the rest, and watching those on the off days.   (and falling a little behind) haha.  Gene Kelley has always been a favorite and watching The Pirate was fun! I didn't know about that one.  Eleanor Powell is my favorite girl dancer, so I'm watching all of hers as well.  Enjoying this tremendously! The film lineup, as well as the guidance through the finer points of relevancy with the culture at the time, brings so much more meaning to films I already liked. They are much more than just collections of nice music!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kathie2 said:

Is there a list of recommended movies this week (June 18th)?  I, like others, own many of the movies, and have them available digitally.  

Here are the recommended movies for the week:

Top Recommendation: Singin’ in the Rain

The Double Bill: Singin’ in the Rain and A Star is Born

The Quartet: Singin’ in the Rain, A Star is Born, Guys and Dolls, and Gigi

• Thanks 1

I'm also going to try and catch as many films as possible when they're aired on Tuesday/Thursday, but am setting the DVR in particular for Road to BaliThe Band Wagon, Silk Stockings, Singin' In the Rain (which I think I have completely memorized), Guys and Dolls (mostly because I love the score), A Star Is Born, and my personal, all-time favorite, High Society. I adore that movie like it's my job.

PS: TCM is showing The Philadelphia Story on Wednesday night at 8 pm EDT -- making for a nice bookend to High Society on Thursday. Two sides of the same coin. Or something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, janey said:

Here are the recommended movies for the week:

Top Recommendation: Singin’ in the Rain

The Double Bill: Singin’ in the Rain and A Star is Born

The Quartet: Singin’ in the Rain, A Star is Born, Guys and Dolls, and Gigi

Janey, thank you!  Where did you find that?   I appreciate this so much.  I write the movies on my erase board next to my computer for the week and cross them off after viewing.  

1 hour ago, Kathie2 said:

Janey, thank you!  Where did you find that?   I appreciate this so much.  I write the movies on my erase board next to my computer for the week and cross them off after viewing.  

There's a page on the Canvas Modules section, in a group called Resources that gives Film Viewing Recommendations. Here's the link (not sure if it will work here but let's try it anyway!)  https://learn.canvas.net/courses/2206/pages/film-viewing-recommendations?module_item_id=218024

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janey said:

I'm also going to try and catch as many films as possible when they're aired on Tuesday/Thursday, but am setting the DVR in particular for Road to BaliThe Band Wagon, Silk Stockings, Singin' In the Rain (which I think I have completely memorized), Guys and Dolls (mostly because I adore the score), A Star Is Born, and my personal, all-time favorite, High Society. I adore that movie like it's my job.

PS: TCM is showing The Philadelphia Story on Wednesday night at 8 pm EDT -- making for a nice bookend to High Society on Thursday. Two sides of the same coin. Or something.

I love watching "High Society" too. It always lifts my spirits.  

Since "Lili" is on at 3am, I'm setting my alarm now. 

On 6/13/2018 at 6:40 AM, KarenLucille said:

Hart's life wouldn't have been quite so sanitized. I'm sure they'd play up his alcoholism and sexual preferences.

They might do the same with Rodgers.