LKitten16

What movies are you watching this week?

48 posts in this topic

Since it's practically impossible to catch 48 hours worth of musicals, I was originally just going to try for the recommended movies due to schedule, but think more is doable.

So, what are you planning to watch for sure? 

For me, Dames, Born to Dance, Hallelujah (a last minute addition after listening to the video lecture), The Wizard of Oz, Top Hat and Three Smart Girls. I wasn't able to catch Broadway Melody which was recommended, but I'll see if it's on demand. 

• Like 2

Hoping for: Footlight Parade, The Wizard of Oz, Top Hat, Born to Dance, maybe Hallelujah or parts of it anyway 

I got a head start some this week and have already watched: Swing Time and 42nd Street, and finished Broadway Melody today.

I'm also likely to watch Victor/Victoria on filmstruck since I missed it on TCM when it aired earlier this week.

• Like 1

I definitely want to watch the 4 recommended movies this week, and have added Hallelujah and Rose Marie to my list after watching the videos as well. Other than that I think I will wait to see what on the list ends up being on demand and go from there. I would love try to fit in as many of the 95 movies as I can into my schedule over the course of the month! Whatever I can't fit in, I will keep on my radar to watch in the future.

From having watched SWING TIME (1936) earlier, I'd recommend that people DVR that if they can.

But FYI it does have a blackface song/number, if that's something that's too much a turnoff for some folks. But man, I'm planning on rewatching it at some points--hopefully it gets introductory and/or end comments--but it's an out there movie in a lot of ways. Or it hit me that way anyway. And Stevens really brights a lot of energy to the directorial craft. I don't know if I agree with AFI's 100 movies list for it, but I can see why it's on there, and it definitely was an interesting watch in numerous ways.

• Like 1

I watched 5 movies today! Whew. Because they kept on going!?

1. The Great Ziegfeld
  2. Broadway Melody of 1936
  3. Born to Dance
  4. The Broadway Melody
  5. 42nd Street

Happy and Exhausted. Going to bed!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I watched Broadway Melody last night and really enjoyed it.  On my DVR right now I have The Great Ziegfeld, Born To Dance, Gold Diggers of 1933 and Hallelujah.  Not sure I'll get to them all before the next round comes out tomorrow, but I'm about to start one now!  Maybe I'll go with Born To Dance, since that's on the recommended list.  I've already seen Wizard of Oz a thousand times so I'll skip that this time even though it's on the list too!  

Broadway Melody, Born to Dance, 42nd Street, Hallelujah, Swing Time, Top Hat, Three Smart Girls. 

Im really looking forward to Top Hat and Three Smart Girls the most; I’ve seen them before but still. 

Ive obviously had to set my DVR. 

I had to go to the library to get them and was happily astonished by how many they had. I kind of went crazy grabbing them and then realuzed I couldn't watch that many in a week. So I wound up with Cabin In The Sky,  Top Hat, and TCM's Greatest Classic Films collection of Busby Berkeley including Dames, Footlight Parade, Gold Diggers of 1937 and 42nd Street. ????

• Like 1

I already watched The Wizard of Oz, Broadway Melody, and Footlight Parade. Planning to watch Born to Dance, Top Hat, 42nd Street, Gold Diggers of 1933, Follow the Fleet, and Broadway Melody of 1936 as well but I may end up having to skip some of them.

I watched Born to Dance yesterday, but my own copy of it.  I own many of the movies featured in this course, so I just supplement with my own copies when I can.  I've seen most of the movies featured.  I'll DVR anything else as needed to fill in any gaps and perhaps supplement with my personal favorites that are not included in TCM's spotlight.

Like speedracer5, I own quite a few musicals on the list already.  I do want to see Hallelujah!  It's been interesting watching some of these with new eyes, based on the discussions with the instructors and comments on the posts.  I'm really enjoying this!

I watched all three yesterday, but didn't really pay much attention to Golddiggers, just because it was so late. I caught my favorite movie of all time, GWTW, though not a musical. I am watching Victor/Victoria now and plan to watch Wizard tomorrow before I have a busy weekend with in town guests. 

Also, I have Sling, so anything that has recently aired, is available to view, so that's how I catch some of these things. I don't have DVR. No need.

Yesterday I watched Broadway Melody and Born to Dance.  Today it's Top Hat and Wizard of Oz.  I have a DVR so it's nice that I can record them.  

On 6/6/2018 at 1:21 AM, Lucyonline said:

I watched 5 movies today! Whew. Because they kept on going!?

1. The Great Ziegfeld
  2. Broadway Melody of 1936
  3. Born to Dance
  4. The Broadway Melody
  5. 42nd Street

Happy and Exhausted. Going to bed!

I watched those same movies!  Today I watched Rose Marie, Follow the Fleet, The Gay Divorcee, Shall We Dance, Swing Time, Wizard of Oz, Top Hat and Three Smart Girls.  Although I won't have the time to marathon watch next week, I can see that I will be pretty sleep deprived this month!

I own Top Hat, so watched that one first on Monday.

Tuesday was Born to Dance, Broadway Melody and 42nd Street.

Tonight I watched Wizard of Oz (with my 8 year old for the first time!) - that was a lot of fun!!

• Like 1

I watched some of the movies from Treasures from the Disney Vault on Wednesday and I started watching Wizard of Oz last night and finishing it now. Not sure if I will be able to watch the other movies due to me just finding out about this course last night!

I've done: Broadway Melody of 1929, Gold Diggers of 1933, 42nd Street, The Love Parade, Rose Marie, Naughy Marietta, Shall We Dance, Top Hat, Swing Time, Born to Dance, Halleilujah, and Three Smart Girls. Thankfully, streaming is keeping me busy while I am recovering from surgery.  I am about to watch The Wizard of Oz for the thousandth time, but even the magic of Oz won't touch the power of "Remember My Forgotten Man" -- I love the whole stinkin' movie, but that ending with cut to finish is one of the most powerful pieces of film that exists. It's been a while since I've watched, and I'd forgotten its' power.

• Like 1

Unfortunately do not have time to watch films on TCM by schedule however I am an avid film collector so some I have from the list and some I do not. These were what I watched so far.

The Music Man.

Pot O' Gold

Top Hat

As of tonight, I’ve managed to watch Top Hat, The Gay Divorcee, Dames, 42nd Street, and Gold Diggers of 1933. I own several of the films in this week’s line-up, so revisiting some of them has been delightful. 

Show Boat was on a channel that I get a couple of days ago, so I watched that (early) for week three.  Still waiting for Top Hat to arrive at the library.  For week two I have Holiday Inn and Meet Me in St Louis (from the library) plus Easter Parade and My Dream Is Yours in my own collection.  Saw Anchors Aweigh not all that long ago.  Definitely looking better for week two!