Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

the heavenly misery of MIDNIGHT LACE (1960)!

18 posts in this topic

as "fem jep" films go, this is probably the best ever. (Films in which a lovely woman is in jeopardy!)

The right mix of wardrobe, stunning star, jewelry, and beautiful sets.

Doris Day looks fantastic, acts her heart out (especially in the gut-wrenching, very brief "elevator scene").

And, of course, is simply living her life---USED by her own husband (Rex Harrison / Martin Melcher) to make money, innocent of his machinations.

EVERYONE in the cast has something of an agenda, and likes to "play" other people. 

The stars never are in London, but who cares? This film is a total blast, creepy, very entertaining, and wonderfully silly at the same time.

Best of all, it's a showcase for JOHN GAVIN, who deserved much more from Hollywood.

He steals it.

• Like 1

doan expect tcm to ever show (like they did liberal dennis weaver in Duel) the best starring vehicle that John Gavin ever had...

the TV-movie Cutter's Trail.

5 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

as "fem jep" films go, this is probably the best ever. (Films in which a lovely woman is in jeopardy!)

Doris Day looks fantastic, acts her heart out (especially in the gut-wrenching, very brief "elevator scene").

And, of course, is simply living her life---USED by her own husband (Rex Harrison / Martin Melcher) to make money, innocent of his machinations.

EVERYONE in the cast has something of an agenda, and likes to "play" other people. 

The stars never are in London, but who cares? This film is a total blast, creepy, very entertaining, and wonderfully silly at the same time.

Best of all, it's a showcase for JOHN GAVIN, who deserved much more from Hollywood.

He steals it.

I saw it for the first time last year. It's not much of a mystery --I figured it out in the first, I'd say, 5 or 8 minutes.

Despite that, you can play along and it is a good entertainment film with some nice scary scenes.

And it's a nice change of pace for Doris, which of course she handles exceedingly well.

I was surprised at how well John Gavin succeeded in that role.

Gorgeous Technicolor and some of the last great designs, for Doris, by MGM's legendary Irene Gibbons-- makes "Midnight Lace" a full evening's entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

doan expect tcm to ever show (like they did liberal dennis weaver in Duel) the best starring vehicle that John Gavin ever had...

the TV-movie Cutter's Trail.

Now now, Nip Baby! Don't give up ALL hope here, dude. Ya never know!

Maybe, if for some strange reason in the future TCM will turn its spotlight upon primarily television director Vincent McEveety and his body of work and who directed the TV-movie Cutter's Trail starring the usually wooden and politically conservative Mr. John Gavin, who yes WAS handsome as hell but couldn't steal a scene in movie if his LIFE depended upon it, AND like TCM once turned their spotlight upon primarily BIG screen director Steven Spielberg(I assume you've heard of him) and HIS body of work, and which includes that early TV-movie of his titled Duel and which starred that fairly good and Emmy winning and politically liberal actor Mr. Dennis Weaver...well, MAYBE you'll THEN get to see TCM show that TV-movie starring the usually wooden and politically conservative actor John Gavin.

(...and then won't you be happy) 

• Haha 1

If you've read the original play by Janet Green, "Matilda Shouted Fire", the true miracle is how the two screenwriters got "Midnight Lace" out of the play.

How different is the play from the film?

19 minutes ago, Hibi said:

How different is the play from the film?

First of all, the heroine is not an heiress.

And her husband is a London bookmaker.

So, immediately, we have a much different environment for the play.

• Like 1

NO KIDDING! But he's still behind trying to kill her? What's the motive then?

38 minutes ago, Hibi said:

NO KIDDING! But he's still behind trying to kill her? What's the motive then?

As I remember it, the downstairs neighbor, Peggy.

I see. So the plots are similar........

• Like 1

Thanks, fans!

ANOTHER totally neglected "pretend we're in London" film is 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET (1956).

it would make a fantastic double-bill with MIDNIGHT LACE, too.

Stars: Van Johnson and Vera Miles---Directed by Henry Hathaway!

And, sort of like MIDNIGHT LACE, this is a "jeopardy" film, but the one in jeopardy is dear Van Johnson, who is blind, although he is a successful playwright renting a fine apartment in London, he stumbles across an adventure and a bunch of vicious crooks. As in MIDNIGHT LACE, the British police are amused and dismissive.

So Van and Vera and his English butler (Cecil Parker) have to solve the case all on their own, with a climax that is sort of a mix of MIDNIGHT LACE, and WAIT UNTIL DARK.

• Like 2

Yes, it would make a good double bill. I think Baker Street is the better film overall......

• Like 1

The sad, predictable truth of most movie murder mysteries or who's behind this nefarious evil mysteries is that they can almost always easily be solved by looking at the casting. In this film, there's an actor of considerable stature whose appearance in the movie would be shockingly irrelevant if he didn't turn out to be the wannabe murderer. I don't really feel like I'm giving anything anyway since other posters have more or less already done so, but come on. You Know Who only agreed to be in this movie BECAUSE he was gonna get the surprise reveal as the bad guy. Otherwise, what a ho-hum part as the dutiful but slightly suspicious of his wife's grip on reality husband.

There are a lot of "red herrings" in this movie, though.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The sad, predictable truth of most movie murder mysteries or who's behind this nefarious evil mysteries is that they can almost always easily be solved by looking at the casting. In this film, there's an actor of considerable stature whose appearance in the movie would be shockingly irrelevant if he didn't turn out to be the wannabe murderer. I don't really feel like I'm giving anything anyway since other posters have more or less already done so, but come on. You Know Who only agreed to be in this movie BECAUSE he was gonna get the surprise reveal as the bad guy. Otherwise, what a ho-hum part as the dutiful but slightly suspicious of his wife's grip on reality husband.

LOL. True.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:37 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

He steals it.

It also has Roddy MacDowall being a charming con man as usual and great character actors like Anthony Dawson and Doris Lloyd, plus of course the lovely Myrna. I hope no one puts a hit on me, but I've always found it a bit corny with Doris nearly psychotic at all times, but then I am very cynical so try to forgive me. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy this movie though, since I watch it every time it is on, and love to see, as he was called then "Sexy Rexy" being a real cad. Gavin does great work especially walking around on all those outdoor metal structures, which always makes me nervous. Fun film for sure! Thankfully Doris did not dress herself mostly and wear any of those outfits with big sunflowers on her hat, as she looked gorgeous when dressed by professionals like Edith Head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, there is something so WONDERFUL about a gorgeous, perfectly styled and dressed wealthy woman coming unglued for no reason at all. It's just so darned feminine. You want to tell them "call your lawyers right now!"

They (esp. Doris Day!) are so sweet. The smallest things during their days drive them nuts -- answering the phone, or the doorbell, or dealing with Cops with pity in their eyes.

I just LOVE them, and want the best for them---like a second marriage to adorable John Gavin!

WHERE is the movie we want to see---? Poor (gorgeous) Kim Kardasian getting threatened, bound up with duct tape, and robbed in her exclusive Paris hotel. "Kim!" we want to say---"call your lawyers right now and sue the pants off this fancy hotel!".

• Like 1