Sign in to follow this  
29Teddy

Movies on Demand

10 posts in this topic

This may have been addressed on the message board, but specific topics aren't easy to find as more and more posts are submitted.

1. The link to the schedule of movies is easy to miss.  Why not include the date/time info on the viewing recommendations page for ease of use?

2. Some of the movies are available in the TCM library, but not all of them.  For purposes of this MOOC, all of the movies that contribute to learning in the course should be available in the library if possible.  Not everyone has the capacity to record movies or the luxury of watching movies mid-day/very late at night.  

3. If the movie isn't available in the on-demand library, are there other ways to access them e.g. a pay-per-view site or online.  This would be welcome info.

My experience with MOOCs is that participants drop off if supportive course materials aren't easily accessible.  And after all the whole point of the course is watching movies.

With my cable provider, and I assume all other cable providers, TCM has movies available on demand for free. I was delighted to find that Strike Me Pink is one of them, because I want to see the parts I missed and also want my husband to see the Oral Exam scene.

But it would be nice if the movies shown on TCM in conjunction with this class were also available on demand for free. And if not for this class, then that may be something worth looking into for future classes.

Some of us can't afford subscriptions to services such as Netflix where the movies may or may not be available, and even though I can rent most of them On Demand through my cable provider, our cable bill is already too high without adding any extras to it.

Just something I hope you can consider.

• Like 3

Agree. Perhaps you should use the Contact Us option to ensure these thoughts get noticed by course administrators.

I found the same thing.  I couldn't get to the Tuesday movies and on demand, I'd have to rent them for $3.99 each. In previous courses, the past movies were always free.  Something wrong this time?

I would love to have cable and TCM, but it's too expensive for me right now. I know when I looked into before, I had to go up at least one tier to even get the channel as it wasn't available with the basic package. A few of these movies are available online to watch for free, but I wonder about these sites and the playback isn't always the best. The site I found Born to Dance on keeps freezing and the one I found The Broadway Melody on is just kind of irritating.. ha. Luckily, I have both Top Hat and The Wizard of Oz anyway, so I just rewatched my own copies. I'm sad about missing out on all the others that are being shown on TCM this week though.

• Sad 1

I was wondering about this too.  I really wanted to see Hallelujah since it was discussed and one I hadn't seen before but it was airing at 3:45 am and I'd already stayed up until 2am watching Gold Diggers of 1933...I finally had to go to bed!  I can tell I'm going to be quite sleep deprived this month!  :) 

Hello

This is from the Mad about Musicals Canvas site: 

Do I need access to TCM to participate in this course?

No. For non-TCM subscribers, we will have free links to online public domain films and/or provide access to brief film clips, so anyone can participate fully in this course. But it is advisable, if you do not have access to TCM, to try to rent certain key films – a short list of essential films that students should rent on their own will be provided in the course.

While this is not On Demand, hopefully it might help some of you locate links where you can watch the movies that go along with this course. 

1 minute ago, TCMModerator1 said:

Hello

This is from the Mad about Musicals Canvas site: 

Do I need access to TCM to participate in this course?

No. For non-TCM subscribers, we will have free links to online public domain films and/or provide access to brief film clips, so anyone can participate fully in this course. But it is advisable, if you do not have access to TCM, to try to rent certain key films – a short list of essential films that students should rent on their own will be provided in the course.

While this is not On Demand, hopefully it might help some of you locate links where you can watch the movies that go along with this course. 

Apologies, I forgot to include the link:

https://www.canvas.net/browse/bsu/tcm4/courses/mad-about-musicals

• Like 1

If anyone would like to subscribe to TCM AT&T DirectTV Now is a pretty good deal. It's a streaming service that has TCM included in the package. The lowest package is $35/month and if you are an AT&T subscriber you can get a deal on the package as well. It works on all of the major streaming devices AppleTV, Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast and has a mobile app for both iOS and Android. They also have deals occasionally where if you pay up to 1 or 3 months in advance you can get a device for free. I paid for 3 months and received an AppleTV 4K for $0. Link: https://www.directvnow.com/tv-packages/. 

I have DirectTV and Hallelujah isn't available On Demand there. When I try to access the Movies On Demand at the TCM site, I am stuck in an endless loop of selecting DirectTV and never getting the opportunity to sign in. So no watching MOD at the TCM site. ?