Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Someone says TCM's playing LESS movies now. True?

56 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

An interesting parallel is what's happening to ESPN, the king of cable sports.  Recently ESPN has created their own streaming service called ESPN+, which hosts additional sports that aren't available on the cable channel.  In addition, they've moved some things that used to be on the cable channel to now be exclusive to the streaming service (such as the 30 for 30 documentaries).  For that you have to pay another ~$5 per month.  People that watch ESPN are familiar with the scroll along the bottom that shows current scores and breaking sports news.  The kicker is that now the scroll is constantly being used to periodically advertise the ESPN+ service.  If I was a cable provider I'm not sure I would appreciate ESPN using their channel to advertise in this manner.

A worst-case equivalent for TCM would be if they decided FilmStruck would start showing films that would no longer be available on TCM, and then advertise that service before, during, and after movies you watch on TCM.  How long before some people get fed up and just drop out altogether?

CBS and AMC are also both offering pay-per-month streaming channels that they relentlessly hawk, including with obnoxious banners and graphics during first-run programming on their broadcast channels. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

CBS and AMC are also both offering pay-per-month streaming channels that they relentlessly hawk, including with obnoxious banners and graphics during first-run programming on their broadcast channels. 

Don't get me started on the constant overlays popping up during the shows you're watching. 😊

It seems these channels are paving the way for life after cable, and are willing to hasten the demise of their current cable services in order to do it.

On 6/7/2018 at 1:44 PM, TopBilled said:

In my TCM schedules thread on another forum someone posted this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 10.41.04 AM.png

To which I replied:

Not sure I understand what you mean. Are you saying they are spacing out the movies to put in more of those wine club ads and Backlot stuff? Thereby reducing the overall total number of films that air each day? Is that what you're saying? 

Is TCM really playing less films now than they did five years ago?

That's like asking if a year's worth of cinnamon crumb cakes from Hostess have less particles left in the bag. I have no idea since they still play a voluminous amount of films monthly so it seems superfluous to even care, when there is such a surfeit of fun stuff to watch that are films. I give...what's the answer, TB? Have you done a comparison count yet on past years?

3 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

That's like asking if a year's worth of cinnamon crumb cakes from Hostess have less particles left in the bag. I have no idea since they still play a voluminous amount of films monthly so it seems superfluous to even care, when there is such a surfeit of fun stuff to watch that are films. I give...what's the answer, TB? Have you done a comparison count yet on past years?

Thought we'd leave the comparison count to you. You don't mind, do you? :)

4 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I have to stop laughing before bedtime. I love that. Yes, I read CaveGirl's messages with my mouse in one hand, and a dictionary in the other. I think 'suesaner' has a bur under her saddle blanket. So, just what is a year's worth of cinnamon crumb cakes anyway? If you're good, the particles left behind would be none.

• Haha 1

Has anyone else noticed that the people who say that TCM is repeating movies more often are the same people who say that they watch TCM 24/7? Could it be that they notice the repeat showings more often because that's all they ever watch? They weren't repeats to them to begin with. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I have to stop laughing before bedtime. I love that. Yes, I read CaveGirl's messages with my mouse in one hand, and a dictionary in the other. I think 'suesaner' has a bur under her saddle blanket. So, just what is a year's worth of cinnamon crumb cakes anyway? If you're good, the particles left behind would be none.

Suesaner's follow-up reply to me:

"...its a matter of simple math, which i am still able to do (hahaha)....just a count of the movies from the back of an older NPG shows we had more movies and less junk....and definetly less repeats of movies. it was a casual look that led to a more in depth glance at just what we were used to and what we are getting now. when NPG ended it was even easier to tell by virtue of its size. i kept an eye at a few really good movies, like twentieth century, and didnt see that on the schedule for years...."

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Has anyone else noticed that the people who say that TCM is repeating movies more often are the same people who say that they watch TCM 24/7? Could it be that they notice the repeat showings more often because that's all they ever watch? They weren't repeats to them to begin with. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.

TCM is watched most everyday. I do sleep and watch other channels. (INSP). I look at the daily movie listings using this website. Some movies get into rotation more frequently than others. I could fix all this, but don't want to live in Atlanta. <giggles>

I use to be a dance DJ once a week at a cocktail lounge with a postage stamp dance floor. My playlist was my own, until a request came. My playlist came from thumbing through the inventory. Yes, I played some stuff over and over. "Lady In Red," was the definitive song at the time for nightclub two-step. I tried to play it later, as I really didn't like playing it twice. I loved playing "Key Largo." 

1 hour ago, jimmymac71 said:

Hey, thanks, Jimmymac for getting my drift. And though I don't really know what a year's worth of crumb cakes would add up to, I do know that some people's complaints are just not worth worrying about as they are absolutely impossible to solve, due to being myopic mostly. For example, I once worked with a guy who was talking about the show "Unsolved Mysteries" and I said I enjoyed watching it, and he said "No, I hate that show." I said "Why?" and then he said "Well, you never find out what happened to the people in the stories." I of course, started thinking "Why am I talking to an idiot?" but instead, being the wonderful human I am said merely "If they finished the stories, the title of the show would probably be "Solved Mysteries"...get the point?" I could tell he didn't, but some complaints are like that, just so impossible to fathom in terms of logic or whatever. Just like wondering how many cinnamon crumbs are in a package, but at least they taste good!

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thought we'd leave the comparison count to you. You don't mind, do you? :)

I'd rather count bottles of beer on the wall, TB!

• Haha 2

Another aspect of this may be the number of intro's has been cut from 4 to 3. (Generally speaking.) RO used to intro 4 movies a night. You rarely see it now unless one of the movies shown in prime time has a short run time.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

TCM is watched most everyday. I do sleep and watch other channels. (INSP). I look at the daily movie listings using this website. Some movies get into rotation more frequently than others. I could fix all this, but don't want to live in Atlanta. <giggles>

I use to be a dance DJ once a week at a cocktail lounge with a postage stamp dance floor. My playlist was my own, until a request came. My playlist came from thumbing through the inventory. Yes, I played some stuff over and over. "Lady In Red," was the definitive song at the time for nightclub two-step. I tried to play it later, as I really didn't like playing it twice. I loved playing "Key Largo." 

So glad to hear you "do sleep", Jimmy!

Did you learn how from the Robert Benchley short "How to Sleep"?

21 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

So glad to hear you "do sleep", Jimmy!

Did you learn how from the Robert Benchley short "How to Sleep"?

Got medicine from Doctor Daniels ... Doctor Jack Daniels. (from an episode of Cheers)

51 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I'd rather count bottles of beer on the wall, TB!

Please wait while I cue up "99" from "Toto." I won't put the video here, as it doesn't fit our format.

4 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Please wait while I cue up "99" from "Toto." I won't put the video here, as it doesn't fit our format.

Could you add "Stranger in Town" to the playlist?

9 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Got medicine from Doctor Daniels ... Doctor Jack Daniels. (from an episode of Cheers)

"Jim, I'm a physician not a bartender."

Remember that line from the "Star Trek" episode called "Liberation from Libation on Mars"?

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Could you add "Stranger in Town" to the playlist?

If I also played 99 Luftballons, then do you catch my drift?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

"Jim, I'm a physician not a bartender."

Remember that line from the "Star Trek" episode called "Liberation from Libation on Mars"?

Don't think so. I was knee high to a grasshopper then. Don't know if I've seen Star Trek since it was new. A favorite would be "Piece Of The Action," where Spock discovers an AM radio station. That and "Trouble With Tribbles."

Okay, James T. Kirk. What is the T?

I am also thinking of a song by Sylvia (Country Singer) called "Drifter." We are drifting bigger than The Duke.

a piece of the action.jpg

46 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

Tiberius.  

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that was Woody's middle name in Cheers. HA!

On cinnamon crumbs and how many angels you can fit onto the head of a pin, etc.  I'd never do anything like that by hand either, I think it would be crazy and worthy of getting one's head examined.  However I do like to solve puzzles and for me this is like solving a puzzle.  So it's time for everyone to put on their thinking caps again here.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/fud-forum-twisted.gif 

update:

I have modified one of my reports to consolidate some information.  It now has two colums of data, "Unique features" and "Including repeats".

"Unique Features" counts each movie once, per year aired.  "Including repeats" counts all airing of all movies within time frame.

With these two figures now side by side, you can get a pretty close idea of average percentage of repeats.  (I have defined a "movie" here as being 45 minuntes or longer.)

http://moviecollector.us/reports/1)unique-features_movies-only.htm

and definetly less repeats of movies.

You guys keep confusing "less" with "fewer", which confuses readers of your intended meaning.

Posts in this thread also assume TCM has "extra" money from selling their network broadcasts to cable companies. Is anyone here aware of the amount they "earn" and the cost of leasing film packages from distributors? Add to that the cost of staff and equipment to actually run the station.
Like the rest of us, I doubt there's "extra" money.
  • Like 2