Sign in to follow this  
BlueMoods

Does TCM ever edit?

6 posts in this topic

The whole thing with thinking a song had been cut from the Wizard of Oz got me thinking. Has TCM ever cut things out of movies for brevity or content such as vulgarity or nudity? I'm thinking most of the movies they show are so old that content wouldn't be an issue. But they occasionally air movies that are recent enough IMHO to barely squeak by as falling under the category of a classic, and those might have some questionable dialogue and/or scenes. I can't think of anything right off hand, although I vaguely remember seeing "Lenny" (the movie about Lenny Bruce starring Dustin Hoffman) that might have needed some editing. Not 100% sure I saw it on TCM, however.

• Like 1

Yes. I only know of one incident. The Joan Crawford movie They All Kissed the Bride (1942). She makes a joke about "the next time I want a sneak, I'll get a J.A.P. and get the best of them". Something to that affect (I'm typing from memory) but she definitely does use the word J.A.P.. I haven't seen this movie on TCM but its uploaded on Youtube and I watch it there frequently. The TCM logo is on there so it must have aired on the network at some point. This is a trivia fact on the movie's IMDB page but when you watch the scene, the word J.A.P. is edited out but you can so clearly tell because it sounds like a couple words are missing from her line. Her mouth mouths the words but they aren't audible. So what aired on TCM is Joan saying "when I want a sneak I'll get the best of them". 

IMDB says the J.A.P. line was the most applauded and laughed at line at showings. The movie came out right after Pearl Harbor and the US entered WW2 so it makes sense. But this is the only incident of racist language and jokes that has been omitted/censored by TCM I can think of. Interesting why that is.

• Like 1

I do recall one possible instance. It was a documentary about Cary Grant. The documentary briefly addressed the rumours about his sexuality. One of his ex-wives was brought on to discuss the matter and this sweet little old lady commented, "I don't know why everyone is talking about Cary being a homosexual when he spent all those years ******* me." The audio was cut for the offending word or perhaps bleeped. Either way, one didn't hear it.

While it's safe to say that the former Mrs. Grant was censored, it could still be argued that, if this was a TCM production, then the production itself was not censored, as it came out exactly how TCM wanted it.

26 minutes ago, Brittany Ashley said:

Yes. I only know of one incident. The Joan Crawford movie They All Kissed the Bride (1942).

I wonder if this was intentional on TCM's part or not. I recall an instance or two where they accidentally aired pan 'n scan prints (and as I recall were apologetic about it afterwards).

I recall prior to a showing of "Holiday Inn" Ben Mankiewicz announced that as TCM never cuts or edits due to content the now controversial black face number "Abraham" remained; he therefore requested there be no "backlash" i.e. no Twitter or emails etc. regarding racial intolerance.HI5

• Like 1

Ha, I saw "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia" on TCM once.  If they cut any nudity or violence out of that I don't know what it could have been.

• Like 1