Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018)

71 posts in this topic

Ugh. Wow. I was a latecomer to this guy's career, not really aware of him until his transition to CNN, but boy, I loved his show. The stuff on food and its preparation was great, but it was also just as much about the culture, places and people, always presented in informative and interesting ways.

s://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

cnn says he committed suicide. he was harmless enough but was known to let out with an anti-trump crack or two.

a novel idea is for cnn to replace him with time devoted to actually covering the news.

:D

• Like 1

Actually, I would argue his show was "news" in the sense that it gave you an in-depth look at what it was like to live right now in whatever place he was visiting that week. I would say everything he did was vastly more informative than Sean Hannity frothing at the mouth and screaming at the camera.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

the news media, including his employers at CNN are BEING EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE in reporting THE MEANS HE USED TO KILL HIMSELF.

1. That's just tacky

2. There is a very real risk of people emulating this. Seriously.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

cnn says he committed suicide. he was harmless enough but was known to let out with an anti-trump crack or two.

a novel idea is for cnn to replace him with time devoted to actually covering the news.

:D

Was this last remark necessary? It's okay not to like the guy, but have some respect for his passing at least.

Also last time I checked, we had freedom of speech and he was allowed to express his view on Trump....a view that many share.

CNN may replace him with someone who will make him look like a softie on Trump too.

Anyway, RIP Anthony.

• Like 3

I hear what you're saying, Lorna, but I'm not a fan of the idea of the media choosing what the public is and isn't mature or responsible enough to hear. There's also presently a a debate going on about whether the media should name or show any more school shooters, which CNN has stopped doing. I understand the motive for that as well, but as an old-school journalism major, I bristle at the media choosing when to withhold information because they think they know what's good for the public. Certainly not how I was taught.

I don't know that there's any particular relevance to the method of suicide, but there's a morbid curiosity for that sort of thing. I think it's almost natural when one hears about suicide, the very first question one asks is "How?" (If that turns out to be just me, let's pretend I never said it!). If that information is public record, somebody's going to put it out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Was this last remark necessary? It's okay not to like the guy, but have some respect for his passing at least.

Also last time I checked, we had freedom of speech and he was more than welcome to express his view on Trump....a view that many share.

CNN may replace him with someone who will make him look like a softie on Trump too.

I wasn't thrilled with the insensitivity of that remark, either. 

• Like 1

I was shocked to hear this news today. Anthony Bourdain, with his extensive world travels and easy rapport with people of so many cultures, came across as a person with a lust for life. Obviously he had his demons, as well.

I understand that in person, despite his television image, he was a bit reserved. With all those travels he may have felt isolated from others, at times, as he battled despair. Being alone, if that was the case, and I don't know that it was, of course, instead of hearing a comforting voice might have made a difference.

RIP, Anthony. You will be missed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the news media, including his employers at CNN are BEING EXTREMELY IRRESPONSIBLE in reporting THE MEANS HE USED TO KILL HIMSELF.

1. That's just tacky

2. There is a very real risk of people emulating this. Seriously.

How did he kill himself? Just curious.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hear what you're saying, Lorna, but I'm not a fan of the idea of the media choosing what the public is and isn't mature or responsible enough to hear. There's also presently a a debate going on about whether the media should name or show any more school shooters, which CNN has stopped doing. I understand the motive for that as well, but as an old-school journalism major, I bristle at the media choosing when to withhold information because they think they know what's good for the public. Certainly not how I was taught.

I don't know that there's any particular relevance to the method of suicide, but there's a morbid curiosity for that sort of thing. I think it's almost natural when one hears about suicide, the very first question one asks is "How?" (If that turns out to be just me, let's pretend I never said it!). If that information is public record, somebody's going to put it out.

true and well-stated, and part of me is with you.

but part of me also knows that the human mind is a strange thing.

copied from the "centers for suicide prevention" recommended dos and donts for reporting on suicide:

Risk of additional suicides increases when the story explicitly describes the suicide method, uses dramatic/graphic headlines or images, and repeated/extensive coverage sensationalizes or glamorizes a death. Suicide Contagion, or"Copycat Suicide," occurs when one or more suicides are reported in a way that contributes to another suicide.

(end quote)

The thing that struck me about the cnn story was that it said (to paraphrase) "Bourdain committed suicide by (XXXX act) which was the same manner designer Kate Spade chose when she took her own life earlier this week by (and then they went on to EXPLICITLY DESCRIBE HOW SHE DID IT!)"

i thought it was irresponsible writing, although again, it's just stating facts we could probaly find out after a google search

• Thanks 1

It's a thorny issue, I think. I understand both sides.

I PMed Hibi the method so we don't have to broadcast it on here.

• Thanks 1

Lorna, I agree that it is unnecessary to report anything more than that the death was a suicide.

• Thanks 1

As a further example, when David Carradine died, a LOT of people discovered autoerotic asphyxiation, which is one of those things we are probably ALL BETTER OFF NOT KNOWING

(and you know a handful tried it out themselves)

of course, good luck when it comes to saving people from themselves.

Forget the f__king media. This is a man who loved his job and made us foodies enjoy it too. I cringed when he found brains delectable, bugs a delight, but loved his tours throughout all countries in an effort to find good food, especially in his native state of NY.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As a further example, when David Carradine died, a LOT of people discovered autoerotic asphyxiation, which is one of those things we are probably ALL BETTER OFF NOT KNOWING

(and you know a handful tried it out themselves)

of course, good luck when it comes to saving people from themselves.

I thought he had everything to live for. Who wouldn't? He tracked all over the globe.

well, as someone whose life has been derailed by mental illness, all I can offer is that sometimes what's going on in your brain ECLIPSES EVERYTHING ELSE.

its powerful and it's always there, The one thing I've discovered as I recently turned 40, after years and years of dealing with it- you just get TIRED  of fighting.

the constant (and unpredictable) extremity of mood swings WEARS YOU OUT more than work or everyday life or stress. And in a way that's not easy to describe and that you can't make other people understand easily.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Forget the f__king media. This is a man who loved his job and made us foodies enjoy it too. I cringed when he found brains delectable, bugs a delight, but loved his tours throughout all countries in an effort to find good food, especially in his native state of NY.

I thought his native state was NJ.

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

well, as someone whose life has been derailed by mental illness, all I can offer is that sometimes what's going on in your brain ECLIPSES EVERYTHING ELSE.

its powerful and it's always there, The one thing I've discovered as I recently turned 40, after years and years of dealing with it- you just get TIRED  of fighting.

the constant (and unpredictable) extremity of mood swings WEARS YOU OUT more than work or everyday life or stress. And in a way that's not easy to describe and that you can't make other people understand easily.

I guess I'm lucky then that I don't have mood swings. I'm always in a bad mood. Or at least since around 1991 or so (nothing significant about that year, it's just when I realized the futility of all human endeavor and the pointlessness of existence). So I don't have to navigate those "highs" that I read about, since I'm always dwelling in the lows. ;)

As for autoerotic asphyxiation, I first heard about that with the death of Michael Hutchence of INXS in '97. Regardless, it's TMI. :unsure:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

that's why the missing dimension in human thought in our era is a strong recognition of God and his divine providence...

Matthew 11:28

New Living Translation
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

8 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

that's why the missing dimension in human thought in our era is a strong recognition of God and his divine providence...

Matthew 11:28

New Living Translation
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

Out of respect for the solemnity of this thread and a preference for avoiding derailing things into contentious argument, let me just say that that sort of thing isn't for everyone, and leave it at that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I guess I'm lucky then that I don't have mood swings. I'm always in a bad mood. Or at least since around 1991 or so (nothing significant about that year, it's just when I realized the futility of all human endeavor and the pointlessness of existence). So I don't have to navigate those "highs" that I read about, since I'm always dwelling in the lows. ;)

As for autoerotic asphyxiation, I first heard about that with the death of Michael Hutchence of INXS in '97. Regardless, it's TMI. :unsure:

Forgot about Hutchence! 

He was ahead of the trends I guess. 

I'll be honest, sometimes I'm grateful for my manic swings. They're the only time I ever get anything done.

Although....I am extremely **** that I've never had any of those "grandiose feelings of self importance" that allegedly come along with a manic phase.

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Actually, I would argue his show was "news" in the sense that it gave you an in-depth look at what it was like to live right now in whatever place he was visiting that week. I would say everything he did was vastly more informative than Sean Hannity frothing at the mouth and screaming at the camera.

Is "frothing" anything like ****?