Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018)

71 posts in this topic

“Low plastic stool, cheap but delicious noodles, cold Hanoi beer.” This is how I’ll remember Tony. He taught us about food — but more importantly, about its ability to bring us together. To make us a little less afraid of the unknown. We’ll miss him.

DfLlGTqWsAAIoVi.jpg

• Like 2

President Obama and Anthony Bourdain enjoy dinner and beer in Hanoi.

Fun fact: This restaurant in Vietnam was so honored by the visit that they framed the table and stools.

DfL8ec-WsAAcKx8.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I hear what you're saying, Lorna, but I'm not a fan of the idea of the media choosing what the public is and isn't mature or responsible enough to hear. There's also presently a a debate going on about whether the media should name or show any more school shooters, which CNN has stopped doing. I understand the motive for that as well, but as an old-school journalism major, I bristle at the media choosing when to withhold information because they think they know what's good for the public. Certainly not how I was taught.

I don't know that there's any particular relevance to the method of suicide, but there's a morbid curiosity for that sort of thing. I think it's almost natural when one hears about suicide, the very first question one asks is "How?" (If that turns out to be just me, let's pretend I never said it!). If that information is public record, somebody's going to put it out.

Though it might be upsetting, I would think that public records of the death of anyone are open to those searching for the reason. This probably in the long run is a good thing, not lending to speculation in a conspiracy type way about such things, when a coroner has totally ruled on the most likely avenue. Otherwise, you know what happens with long term discussions of varying theories. Now if someone committed suicide by means that are rather obscure to the general public like auto-erotic asphxyiation that some impressionable depressed teen might decide to emulate all details revealed, that could be irresponsible, but people have used hanging for suicidal results for eons so having CNN reveal that does not seem like it was such a revelation. As long as networks don't show photos of the poor dead person from coroner's reports, I will be glad.

• Thanks 1

I "knew" Bourdain in the same way I "knew" Kate Spade, just as another celebrity

that I didn't have much interest in. There are really a surfeit of celebs so it's hard

to take much interest in many of them. I would guess that Bourdain stuck his head

in an oven, but that would be too obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know everyone's sharing @bourdain quotes/recollections/stories, so just wanted to add this one I keep coming back to. Seems to sum up the worldview he shared with us about being open to people, experiences and everything around him

(it can seem, in passing, to be a sort of "oh ho ho, look at this unusual food you ate!" story, when it's really about trying new things, being open to the worlds other people want to show to us and to people in general. Hard to imagine a better message to send out to the world) https://        n.pr/2x8YpNW 

DfLfToPX4AEqm0p.jpg

4 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I "knew" Bourdain in the same way I "knew" Kate Spade, just as another celebrity

that I didn't have much interest in. There are really a surfeit of celebs so it's hard

to take much interest in many of them. I would guess that Bourdain stuck his head

Never heard of Kate Spade until she died. Apparently she made a fortune from recycling the styles of old handbags.

Bourdain I may have seen once or twice on CNN  promos.

Two very rich and entitled people who had  nothing to live for-- both apparent suicides.

We can all be relieved, at least, to know that Mick Jagger had nothing to do with either of these unfortunate incidents.

• Like 1

"Anthony Bourdain spoke up for me at a time when people all over the country were making great fun of the column I write," said Marilyn Hagerty, whose Olive Garden review went viral in 2012

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/marilyn-hagerty-anthony-bourdain-olive-garden?utm_term=.hee0088Rlg&bftwnews#.oi3JJBBLEm

Image result for marilyn hagerty anthony bourdain

6 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Of course, Nipkow put a laughing emoji to a method of suicide.

I think this is the first time ever I've started a thread on a celebrity death. Usually, the rest of you beat me to these things by hours or even days. So, I feel some sort of "ownership" of the thread. Usually these things are very respectful, but the one I've created is full of blase responses, mockery, indifference and contempt that anyone who was rich should be depressed enough to kill one's self.

I didn't really know much about Bourdain the man, but his show was fantastic and will definitely be missed. I don't know that anyone is ever going to show how a mutual love of all kind of food can bring the world together again the way he did. Those of you that had barely heard of him were absolutely missing out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think this is the first time ever I've started a thread on a celebrity death. Usually, the rest of you beat me to these things by hours or even days. So, I feel some sort of "ownership" of the thread. Usually these things are very respectful, but the one I've created is full of blase responses, mockery, indifference and contempt that anyone who was rich should be depressed enough to kill one's self.

I didn't really know much about Bourdain the man, but his show was fantastic and will definitely be missed. I don't know that anyone is ever going to show how a mutual love of all kind of food can bring the world together again the way he did. Those of you that had barely heard of him were absolutely missing out.

I'm not a "foodie", and never watched his Food Network stuff, although I saw plenty of ads for it. I started seeing him on various other shows, late night talk shows, news programs, and he came across as a really good guy, with a unique perspective on things. I saw his CNN show a few times and enjoyed it. I was very saddened to read about his death, and the manner of it is even more disturbing. 

As for people making insensitive and/or dismissive comments about a person's death, I learned a while ago to expect very little out of people, and even then they're likely to disappoint.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Nipkow just likes to make edgy jokes and troll sometimes. Try not to get too upset with him. 

I woke up to seeing the news of Bourdain's passing.  While I didn't watch Bourdain's CNN show, I was familiar with him.  I liked how he traveled to different cultures to understand different traditions, customs, cuisines, etc.  I appreciated that he traveled to these different countries and made a genuine effort to get to know the people, food, traditions, etc.  He wasn't just there to get to travel and have fun.  He seemed like he really wanted to give the spotlight to these people whose culture deserves to be better known.  He definitely came off as opinionated with a don't give a [blank] type attitude, but I feel that his show and approach toward relating to people was real.  

Just like Kate Spade and countless other well known celebrities/financially well off persons who have committed suicide, it just goes to show that money and fame cannot buy happiness.  I cannot even begin to understand how Spade and Bourdain felt and what brought them to this point in their lives where suicide was the only solution, but I hope that both Spade and Bourdain have found the peace that they couldn't find during life.  

I've read so many social media/news responses with people posting something along the lines of "Tragic. Remember if you're depressed call, [suicide prevention hotline phone number]," I can't help but feel like this response is the equivalent of the tired "thoughts and prayers" response.  However, on the other hand, I cannot judge people in how they choose to mourn.  All these high profile suicides and even average joe suicides that happen daily, just goes to show how much more emphasis and funding need to be placed into mental health support.  Just telling a depressed person to "cheer up" is not helpful.  

RIP to both Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain.  Both were very talented people who deserved happiness in their lives.

8 hours ago, jakeem said:

President Obama and Anthony Bourdain enjoy dinner and beer in Hanoi.

Fun fact: This restaurant in Vietnam was so honored by the visit that they framed the table and stools.

DfL8ec-WsAAcKx8.jpg

I sure wish we can put the past behind us the way Vietnam does.  Remarkable country.

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Never heard of Kate Spade until she died. Apparently she made a fortune from recycling the styles of old handbags.

Bourdain I may have seen once or twice on CNN  promos.

Two very rich and entitled people who had  nothing to live for-- both apparent suicides.

We can all be relieved, at least, to know that Mick Jagger had nothing to do with either of these unfortunate incidents.

I had heard of Kate Spade before and knew she was famous for her handbags and gladrags,

but that's about all. Same with Bourdain. With so many media outlets, it's common for folks

not to know much about celebrities beyond their name and what they are famous for.

Yes, Jagger is in the clear, Keith too, but where were Hillary, Podesta, and Big Daddy George

Soros? Needs looking into.

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I guess this shows that even in the world of gastronomy there is a place for bad taste.

20 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I had heard of Kate Spade before and knew she was famous for her handbags and gladrags,

but that's about all. Same with Bourdain. With so many media outlets, it's common for folks

not to know much about celebrities beyond their name and what they are famous for.

Yes, Jagger is in the clear, Keith too, but where were Hillary, Podesta, and Big Daddy George

Soros? Needs looking into.

I believe Mick Jagger's last girlfriend committed suicide and she was also some kind of a famous fashion designer.

This was several years ago and it jogged my teenybopper memories that he had two other girlfriends who also attempted suicide:

I think they were the sister of legendary model Jean Shrimpton, Chrissie Shrimpton and singer Marianne Faithfull.

Then there's been all this talk about how Brian Jones may have committed suicide, but I never fell for that either.

I'm sure Mick Jagger's not the only toxic rock and roll singer, but he does seem to leave a lot of trash in his wake.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

I believe Mick Jagger's last girlfriend committed suicide and she was also some kind of a famous fashion designer.

This was several years ago and it jogged my teenybopper memories that he had two other girlfriends who also attempted suicide:

I think they were the sister of legendary model Jean Shrimpton, Chrissie Shrimpton and singer Marianne Faithfull.

Then there's been all this talk about how Brian Jones may have committed suicide, but I never fell for that either.

I'm sure Mick Jagger's not the only toxic rock and roll singer, but he does seem to leave a lot of trash in his wake.

You could be right. I don't keep up with that stuff and I've forgotten about the now long

ago past. There was also a theory about Jones being murdered, but I still think it was an

unfortunate accident.  Maybe these people had their own problems and Jagger had little

to do with their actions. Have some sympathy. :)

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

You could be right. I don't keep up with that stuff and I've forgotten about the now long

ago past. There was also a theory about Jones being murdered, but I still think it was an

unfortunate accident.  Maybe these people had their own problems and Jagger had little

to do with their actions. Have some sympathy. :)

You asked for this - -"Sympathy for the Devil"

12 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As a further example, when David Carradine died, a LOT of people discovered autoerotic asphyxiation, which is one of those things we are probably ALL BETTER OFF NOT KNOWING

(and you know a handful tried it out themselves)

It was the handful that got him into trouble.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

It was the handful that got him into trouble.

Oh, take your laughing emoji reaction, you deserved it. 

Anthony Bourdain turned what could have been formula TV into an exploration of culture, craft, and conflict.

He wrote like a fusion of Hunter Thompson and Graham Greene. He had an international mind and a singularly American voice.

Here's to the chef with the soul of a poet.

DfK7NmlV4AAEjxZ.jpg

• Like 1

I was shocked to hear this-Bourdain came across as someone interested in life and finding the best food & cooks of the world.
That said, I did not enjoy his TV persona-I found him arrogant and boorish-but I would get sucked into watching his shows whenever coming across them because they were unique and fascinating. Bourdain realized food is the great (living) equalizer, and he explored the culture and the people associated with local foods, traditions.

If anything, I hope Bourdain's legacy remains; opening people's minds & palettes to other cultures through their food.

• Like 1