Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018)

81 posts in this topic

Bourdain featured Detroit on one of his shows not too long ago, so I obviously heard the news of his death on the LOCAL newscasts before I heard about it anywhere else.  They STILL make a big deal out of his visit here, and the coverage of his death was extensive on local broadcasts. 

But I was surprised to hear of it, and do wonder at what could have been troubling him (and Ms. Spade) to do away with him(or their) self at what was seemingly the pinnacle of their careers.  Some would assume it would be at the point of a huge DOWNFALL when suicide would seem more in tune.

Sepiatone

As a member of a family with multiple suicides in it, I work hard on advocacy and support in mental health areas, particularly as it relates to suicide and depression.  This week has been horrible. It hits hard for survivors of loved ones who are gone whenever a suicide makes the news. Bourdin was so gifted, informative in sharing the world with people. His contributions to making the world a better place are tremendous

I would like to note for everyone who survives that every single life lost to suicide is the loss of an incredible person. A person doesn't need to be a Kate Spade, a Chris Cornell, an Anthony Bourdin, a Robin Williams, or a Kurt Cobain to be a loss to the world. Every suicide is a tremendous loss. 

If anyone on this board is thinking of suicide (and statistics tell us there is), reach out: 1-800-273-8255

• Like 2

Sepiatone said, But I was surprised to hear of it, and do wonder at what could have been troubling him (and Ms. Spade) to do away with him(or their) self at what was seemingly the pinnacle of their careers.

I just can't understand those who "give up" enough to selfishly end their lives. You only get one, and hasn't history shown it gets better/worse in cycles? Even if doomed with a short life, along with possible pain there truly can be "up" days too, especially when others express their feelings to you.
Sad it's too late for Bourdain to find out how much he was loved.

1 minute ago, TikiSoo said:

Sepiatone said, But I was surprised to hear of it, and do wonder at what could have been troubling him (and Ms. Spade) to do away with him(or their) self at what was seemingly the pinnacle of their careers.

I just can't understand those who "give up" enough to selfishly end their lives. You only get one, and hasn't history shown it gets better/worse in cycles? Even if doomed with a short life, along with possible pain there truly can be "up" days too, especially when others express their feelings to you.
Sad it's too late for Bourdain to find out how much he was loved.

so here's cnn with this headline earlier "REMEMBERING THE LEGACY OF A CULINARY LEGEND".

fine but I never even heard of the guy before he popped up on cnn a few years ago.

:lol:

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

so here's cnn with this headline earlier "REMEMBERING THE LEGACY OF A CULINARY LEGEND".

fine but I never even heard of the guy before he popped up on cnn a few years ago.

I thought you were a bit of a "foodie" yourself, Nip?! Haven't I seen you start a few "recipe" threads over the years around here?

And so, then I'm surprised to read that you evidently never caught Bourdain's earlier programs he did on the Food Network, A Cook's Tour (2002-2003) and right after his book "Kitchen Confidential" became a best seller, AND on the Travel Channel, "No Reservations" (2005-2012)...the two programs he did before going to CNN.

(...see what you've missed out on all these years while evidently stewing over TCM never showing that Shirley Booth flick you're so hot for them to show?!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess if people want to go around eating pigs' rectums that's up to them. I'll

stick with a chocolate milkshake. It seems that suicide among the middle aged is

increasing in general and not just among celebs. 

• Haha 1

Here's a CBS Sunday morning piece on Bourdain from September 30, 2007. He was interviewed by Lesley Stahl of "60 Minutes."

I bet bourdain didn't even know that the best chocolate milkshakes are made with Friendly's Forbidden Chocolate.

:)

Image result for friendly's forbidden chocolate

I like Friendly's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream, though I've never made

a milkshake with it. Very tasty.

• Like 1

The Season 3 episode of "Parts Unknown," released in 2014, saw Anthony Bourdain venture to Russia. It remains one of the most extraordinary episodes of his CNN program, writes @MarlowNYC:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/when-anthony-bourdain-called-out-putin-and-trumpin-russia?via=twitter_page&__twitter_impression=true

Image result for anthony bourdain in russia

Some news about Anthony Bourdain's show: CNN confirms that the final two episodes of this season's "Parts Unknown" will air as scheduled. This Sunday and next, 9pm. The "Remembering Anthony Bourdain" tribute will air this Sunday at 8.

Some fans have noticed that Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown was scheduled to come off Netflix US on June 16. As of today, we’ve extended our agreement that will keep Parts Unknown on the service for months to come.

Pluto TV is showing constant non stop episodes of all Bourdain's shows as a tribute. They are extraordinary.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, Vautrin said:

I like Friendly's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream, though I've never made

a milkshake with it. Very tasty.

Never heard of the brand.  I'm sure it's good though, as most ice cream, especially chocolate, usually is.  ;)

Back to suicide....

What galls me is when the act is sometimes referred to as, "the coward's way out!".  When truthfully, it would seem to me that doing that to oneself would take an incredible amount of courage.  I mean, there have been times I felt suicidal, but it was the COWARDICE that's kept me alive. 

Sepiatone

Sepia said: it was the COWARDICE that's kept me alive.

Haha you're just afraid of (the method) of dying, like any normal person would be.
The "cowardice" people mention (not I) refers to "being afraid to live"- to face life and all the misery/disappointments that are inevitable for all of us.

I have a chronic disorder that brings physical pain on a daily basis that will shorten my life. I learned at an early age to appreciate all the good things that happen -no matter how small- that balance any bad things. We all are dealt different cards in life and there's always someone who has it worse. I have little tolerance of complainers.

so when is tcm gonna submit bourdain to the vatican for sainthood?

On 6/14/2018 at 6:52 AM, Sepiatone said:

Never heard of the brand.  I'm sure it's good though, as most ice cream, especially chocolate, usually is.  ;)

Back to suicide....

What galls me is when the act is sometimes referred to as, "the coward's way out!".  When truthfully, it would seem to me that doing that to oneself would take an incredible amount of courage.  I mean, there have been times I felt suicidal, but it was the COWARDICE that's kept me alive. 

Sepiatone

Maybe Friendly's is more of a regional brand, just in the East Coast, than I thought.

I remember as a kid there was a delicious chocolate chip ice cream made by a company

called T&W or F&W. Instead of having rather large chunks of chips scattered in the

ice cream, it has little pieces "pulverized" throughout the ice cream. Oh, was that

delicious.

I agree that it takes a fair amount of guts to kill oneself or even to try to kill oneself.

The one thing I hate about "regional" brands is whenever the business(for whatever reason) folds, the product of theirs you loved disappears with it.  example-----

'Round here there were two major candy makers, SANDER'S and TRUAN'S.  Both had many chain outlets that also had fountain service and their own brand of ice creams.  My favorites were SANDER'S vanilla (had a "whisper" of a cream cheese flavor to it) and a TRUAN'S flavor they called CHOCOLATE ROYAL( other makers made a similar product called chocolate "ripple") 

And their candies were EXCELLENT.  It wasn't a "proper" Easter at our house without a large SANDER'S chocolate bunny and a huge TRUAN'S chocolate coated Nougat egg!  Huge enough it'd last a week with us only having one "slice" a day.  ;)  

Both brands went by the wayside mostly( Truan's mostly) as there are no more SANDER'S outlets, and only ONE Truan's holding out somewhere, but the BRAND of "Sander's" still survives in some baked goods( their "bumpy" cake can still be found) and little jars of their caramel and hot fudge ice cream toppings.  The STROH'S ice cream brand used to put out a vanilla ice cream made from the old SANDER'S formula, and for a short time there were ice cream cartons found in stores brandishing the SANDER'S name on them with their vanilla and chocolate ice creams inside, but they too, have vanished.  :( 

Sepiatone

I did a little checking on the net and it was T&W, standing for the guys that

owned it, Terwilliger and Wakefield. Smart move to go with T&W. Local

brands are probably more likely to go out of business or to merge with

bigger firms. 

Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" will have a final season premiering in the fall: “They will have the full presence of Tony because you’ll see him, you’ll hear him, you’ll watch him. That layer of his narration will be missing."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/08/01/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-season-fall/877792002/

pt-nmVkR?format=jpg&name=600x314

I would like to see somebody do a nostalgia piece on the forgotten americana of the automat.

Related image

Image result for automat

On 6/8/2018 at 5:38 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Never heard of Kate Spade until she died. Apparently she made a fortune from recycling the styles of old handbags.

Was she an actress too ... by chance? If so, she might have been a wonderful Lady Bracknell. The Lady Bracknell might have accepted Mr John Worthy as being worthy as a suitor for her daughter right off the bat instead of having to wait all the way to the end.

If I were a casting the play my only criterion for audition of Lady B would be the manner in which the applicant can utter that word representing that which made the fortune for Miss Kate Spade.

• Sad 1