Sign in to follow this  
sewhite2000

R.I.P. Anthony Bourdain (1956-2018)

81 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2018 at 9:21 AM, TikiSoo said:

Sepiatone said, But I was surprised to hear of it, and do wonder at what could have been troubling him (and Ms. Spade) to do away with him(or their) self at what was seemingly the pinnacle of their careers.

I just can't understand those who "give up" enough to selfishly end their lives. You only get one, and hasn't history shown it gets better/worse in cycles? Even if doomed with a short life, along with possible pain there truly can be "up" days too, especially when others express their feelings to you.
Sad it's too late for Bourdain to find out how much he was loved.

I know your expressing a personal feeling and I am sure (if I may) that you are quite aware of the other side as well. If suicide was a result such materials things as that then it would be readily understood, but it isn't. A common mistake is to compare the experience of what I may feel inside with what I think others appear to be experiencing outside. A noxious comparison that has been the bane of humanity from the beginning because it is so patently invalid. So I think they're happier than I am because they have more money? They might be or might not but it can't be quantified and should not be presumed.

On 6/15/2018 at 3:50 AM, TikiSoo said:

Sepia said: it was the COWARDICE that's kept me alive.

Haha you're just afraid of (the method) of dying, like any normal person would be.
The "cowardice" people mention (not I) refers to "being afraid to live"- to face life and all the misery/disappointments that are inevitable for all of us.

I have a chronic disorder that brings physical pain on a daily basis that will shorten my life. I learned at an early age to appreciate all the good things that happen -no matter how small- that balance any bad things. We all are dealt different cards in life and there's always someone who has it worse. I have little tolerance of complainers.

That's a very hard line. Not everyone has had such a life-changing experience as that and especially at so young. It it possible to stray from this conviction and gain a little tolerance anyway. We are all not the same.

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Was she an actress too ... by chance? If so, she might have been a wonderful Lady Bracknell. The Lady Bracknell might have accepted Mr John Worthy as being worthy as a suitor for her daughter right off the bat instead of having to wait all the way to the end.

If I were a casting the play my only criterion for audition of Lady B would be the manner in which the applicant can utter that word representing that which made the fortune for Miss Kate Spade.

Her only connections to acting were family members. Her niece Rachel Brosnahan (pictured below with Spade) is nominated for a Primetime Emmy for her starring role in the Amazon streaming comedy/drama "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." In January, Brosnahan won a Golden Globe and a Critics' Choice Award for her work in the series.

The actor-comedian David Spade, a former "Saturday Night Live" regular, was the late designer's brother in law.

blob.png.85210a6547d9219f931dfe99b0613e47.png

Somebody on a local radio station in my town said that she was David Spade's sister, which I guess is incorrect. But there is a family connection between them by marriage, I see.

I said: We all are dealt different cards in life and there's always someone who has it worse. I have little tolerance of complainers.

Laffite responded: That's a very hard line. It it possible to stray from this conviction and gain a little tolerance anyway. We are all not the same.

Agreed. We're not all the same.
While it is a very hard line, tempered with compassion & empathy, pointing out (everyone's) "life is hard" often helps reassure those feeling isolated & sorry for themselves.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

While it is a very hard line, tempered with compassion & empathy, pointing out (everyone's) "life is hard" often helps reassure those feeling isolated & sorry for themselves.

I'm not sure that's always a safe assumption to follow, without an understanding of the individual situations of those folks - it could also compound their feelings of isolation & self criticism. You never really know what's going on inside someone's head, unless you happen to be that person...

• Thanks 1