MikeD31784

Other Musicals

48 posts in this topic

I know that the list of musicals is only a small list of musicals that there are. However, I would like to ask all of you what are your favorite musicals that are not on the list?

Mine would have to be Mary Poppins and any of the Muppets movies.

• Like 2

Most of my favorites will be shown over the course of this month! I do love some of the Elvis musicals like Clambake, the Beach movies like Beach Blanket Bingo, The Happiest Millionaire and By the Light of the Silvery Moon.???Guess I did think of a few!

Only two of my favorites will be on TCM and they are Top Hat and The Music Man. Other than that, I prefer the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals to most others. Oklahoma being the top of that list. I like Andrew Lloyd Webber as well, especially Phantom and Cats

• Like 1

I guess my favorites that didn't make the list are the Disney's musicals. My favorite is "Mary Poppins," and "Bed Knobs and Broomsticks."

• Like 4

I know this course is Hollywood musicals, but I'd like to give a shout out to Hindi popular cinema (avoiding the term Bollywood on purpose!). Some of the films made between 1995 and 2004 are my favorites. I love Shah Rukh Khan, especially when he's paired with actress Kajol.

Back to Hollywood: it's kind of a cheat, because it's a TV musical, but I do love Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. Ten Minutes Ago has always been one of my favorite songs.

• Like 6

Watching these old musicals bring back memories of more that I saw growing up that haven’t been shown in years:

The Boys From Syracuse; The Kid From Spain, Roman Scandals (I think Betty Grable was a Goldwyn Girl in the chorus), Whopee, with Eddie Cantor.  

You would think TCM would show these. I saw Rio Rita (with John Boles) once on TCM and think they should show these more often along with the silents. These are the closest remnants to those original Broadway shows from the days of Zigfield.

• Like 2

I've seen Roman Scandals  and Kid From Spain, and excerpts from Whoopie and Rio Rita (you can find these excerpts and perhaps excerpts from the other two films on YouTube).  For what it's worth, all the films are very dated technically, in humor, and in everything else.

Somewhat interesting to watch excerpts the earliest of these to see what Zigfield Follies production numbers were like.  Roman Scandals and possible one or two others have musical numbers by Busby Berkeley, and it is mildly interesting to see what he was creating pre-Warner Brothers and very pre-code. 

• Like 1

I think Roman Scandals is on the WB Archive.  I've seen it pop up on TCM occasionally.  Lucille Ball plays one of the slave girls in that film.

• Like 1

The Daydreamer (1966), I guess that would be considered a musical. I saw it when I was a little girl and had the soundtrack album, but I don't think I've ever seen it on TV. It was a mix of live action and animation (not cartoon animation but sort of claymation if I recall). And it had some of the actors (or their voices) we're learning about now...Ray Bolger, Margaret Hamilton, Ed Wynn, and young talent of the time like Patty Duke and Haley Mills.

I'm sure I would find it a lot sillier and hokier than I did as a child but I would love to see it again.

i completed week 2 1940s lectures and i dont know how they miss musicals like gilda, you were never lovelier( columbia) , rogers  and hammerstein movies ( fox), betty grable and alice fay musicals ( fox), i dont see the sound of music in viewing recommendations either.

You Were Never Lovelier was on, unless there's another version. I feel West Side Story was purposely omitted so we'd go see it in the theater.

3 hours ago, LKitten16 said:

You Were Never Lovelier was on, unless there's another version. I feel West Side Story was purposely omitted so we'd go see it in the theater.

I would if it ever came to my hometown, but I'm not going to travel to a "select city" to see it. Only movie I've ever traveled out of town to see was Rent on Broadway, which was the actual show filmed days before it closed.

5 hours ago, mahmoudhegazy said:

i completed week 2 1940s lectures and i dont know how they miss musicals like gilda, you were never lovelier( columbia) , rogers  and hammerstein movies ( fox), betty grable and alice fay musicals ( fox), i dont see the sound of music in viewing recommendations either.

Yeah, I'm still a little disgruntled that no Rodgers and Hammerstein movies were included. I mentioned this at the beginning of the course, and someone said it was probably because of licensing or something. 

Besides "West Side Story", where are "Carousel", "Oklahoma!" and "How to Succeed in Business...Without Really Trying" (with 60's version).  They are truly classics.  I realize there is a limit but I would have definitely eliminated the Judy Garland 3.5 hour "A Star Is Born" because she is wonderful but as a film that really sucked.

Agreed.  I mentioned in another thread (maybe two) that I think there's too much Judy Garland in this course.  The Wizard of Oz would have been sufficient, escpecially considering that so many other worthy films were left out. 

What actors' names are most recognized today by people who aren't into muscials?   TCM had to promote this to pieces, so it seems to me the movies with the best actor name recognition are programmed the most.  Judy Garland is a given, from Oz saturation through the decades.  Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly, probably.  But how many people know who Bing Crosby is anymore?  Or anyone from a movie older than 50 years ago, pre-1968?  By that time there were much fewer musicals being made.   They were just too expensive, for one thing. 

Now if TCM expected mostly musical fans to watch, that's another thing.  More variety, for sure. 

On 6/8/2018 at 8:44 PM, JanRosie said:

I guess my favorites that didn't make the list are the Disney's musicals. My favorite is "Mary Poppins," and "Bed Knobs and Broomsticks."

I do enjoy seeing Bedknobs and Broomsticks. I totally forgot that one!

One reason we are taking this course is because we love musicals. Many are dear to us for various reason. At first, I tried to figure out why some of my favorites did not make the cut. So, I went back to the first lectures to re-examine the goals for the course and the instructors' criteria. Now, as we are now in the third week, I have a better handle on it.

First, this course is about the development of musical films. Each of the ones selected for viewing is a definitive example of the historical, cultural changes of each decade, the film's contribution to the industry's innovations, and the most significant stars of each era. Within those criteria, the course must fit together to make sense in this particular learning setting. It is a free, survey course. I love that we are being given tools so that we can look at the films mentioned here with a keener eye. I don't know about you but I am now interested in finding a course offered by a university or college near me or online. There is so much more to learn.

• Like 5

On 6/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, speedracer5 said:

I think Roman Scandals is on the WB Archive.  I've seen it pop up on TCM occasionally.  Lucille Ball plays one of the slave girls in that film.

Yes, it is. Warner Archive has a 4-film Eddie Cantor Collection on DVD. It contains the following Samuel Goldwyn movies: "Palmy Days" (1931), "The Kid from Spain" (1932), "Roman Scandals" (1933), and "Strike Me Pink" (1936). "Strike Me Pink" is the only one that was on our viewing list. I always liked "Roman Scandals" and remember Lucille Ball and Betty Grable are Goldwyn Girls in it. 

Other musical comedies of interest: "The Cocoanuts" (1929) with the Marx Brothers. "Fra Diavolo" (1933) and "Swiss Miss" (1938) with Laurel & Hardy. Any early "Road" picture with Bob Hope & Bing Crosby.  Even "Never Give a Sucker an Even Break" (1941) with W. C. Fields. While all these are considered comedies, they all have enough music in them to be considered musicals.

• Like 1

The King and I

Mary Poppins

The Sound of Music

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Jesus Christ Superstar

The Slipper and the Rose

I get why the first four weren't included because Fox owns King and I and Sound of Music (and therefore only air them on their network), and Disney only lends TCM their films on "Treasures from the Disney Vault" days, but I'm surprised Jesus Christ Superstar and The Slipper and the Rose weren't included for the 70s. Probably if the 60s and 70s were each given their own weeks instead of sharing one, they'd probably show up since TCM has aired them before. 

Setting aside the legal aspects of licensing for a moment, which musicals would you have liked to see in the syllabus for this course?  Don't get me wrong, the list of films is comprehensive and thorough, but are there any musicals you wish had made the grade?  I'd add All That Jazz because it's a backstage musical with interesting connections to earlier musicals.

• Like 1

I concur in All That Jazz. Kind of a mess, but you can't look away from it. I'd also add Oliver and Cabaret.