Sign in to follow this  
BlueMoods

42'nd Street on Broadway

15 posts in this topic

Is this the same 42nd Street that starred Jerry Orbach on Broadway? Same script and music basically? I've never seen either.

I saw the musical on Broadway with Jerry Orbach. I believe the movie is based on the same script.

• Thanks 1

The Hollywood script is actually a lot different from the Broadway script. Definitely prefer the Broadway version!

• Like 1

This film has so many classic elements for parody  The harried director.  The long-suffering assistant.  The understudy who goes on and becomes a star.  One of my favorite parodies is Glenda Jackson in the film The Boyfriend, as the injured star hobbling in on crutches to tersely wish the understudy, Twiggy, luck, before she goes on. 

I also like several song lyrics.  In Shuffle Off to Buffalo, the two gold diggers catching themselves in a vulgarism:  "He did right by little Nellie with a shotgun at his b... tummy".  And "matrimony is baloney, she'll be wanting alimony in a year or so.....    when she knows as much as we know she'll be on her way to Reno while he still has dough, she'll give him the shuffle, when they're back from Buffalo..   and the great "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me".  I'd like to see this done by a chanteuse in a club today. Ha!   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, starryeyzze said:

I love how Ginger Rogers as Anytime Annie is stealing scenes in this movie. 

She's been gunning like she knows she should've gotten the lead part, and is going to make sure people notice so she gets future leads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pastiche said:

This film has so many classic elements for parody  The harried director.  The long-suffering assistant.  The understudy who goes on and becomes a star.  One of my favorite parodies is Glenda Jackson in the film The Boyfriend, as the injured star hobbling in on crutches to tersely wish the understudy, Twiggy, luck, before she goes on. 

I also like several song lyrics.  In Shuffle Off to Buffalo, the two gold diggers catching themselves in a vulgarism:  "He did right by little Nellie with a shotgun at his b... tummy".  And "matrimony is baloney, she'll be wanting alimony in a year or so.....    when she knows as much as we know she'll be on her way to Reno while he still has dough, she'll give him the shuffle, when they're back from Buffalo..   and the great "You're Getting to be a Habit with Me".  I'd like to see this done by a chanteuse in a club today. Ha!   

I agree. I also thought it is interesting that song lyrics and dance routine is very similar but more sarcastic than the  “Honeymoon Hotel” routine from Footlight Parade. 

I just watched 42nd Street from beginning to end and really enjoyed it. So many films of the era seem so silly and fluffy with very thin plots but this actually had a decent story line. And the acting was campy and corny when it was supposed to be and dramatic but not overly so when it was called for. Now I wish I had the chance to see the Broadway version.

I would also like to read the book but it appears to be out of print. as I found one copy on Amazon and it was going for $1500. Just a little out of my price range, haha.

I have a weird obsession with collecting out-of-print movie-tie in editions.

Search ABE books (Advanced Book Exchange) for reputable editions but apparently this is a long out of print title.

There are a few editions that are slightly cheaper, but you'll still have to pay for an early tie in edition.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=Bradford+Ropes&tn=42+street&kn=&isbn=

FYI, one of my most prized possessions is the 1929 photoplay edition of "The Broadway Melody" from 1929.

7622.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2018 at 11:00 PM, starryeyzze said:

I agree. I also thought it is interesting that song lyrics and dance routine is very similar but more sarcastic than the  “Honeymoon Hotel” routine from Footlight Parade. 

From the lectures and/or podcast it sounded like Warner's was rushing variations of this successful format out the door as fast as they could... You're right, these numbers have similar lyrics and dance routines, and knowing Greek chorus in nightgowns,  Also in Shuffle it looks to me like the male singer paired with Ruby becomes the 19-year-juvenile-with-lumbago replaced by Dick Powell in Honeymoon.  Or was that Pettin' in the Park?  I confuse the numbers and films they're in, they're so interchangeable. 

Many stage musicals have been made into films, but it seldom goes the other way around.  A notable exception is 42'nd Street.  When I happened to see David Merrick's original Broadway production in 1982 at the Majestic theatre, I had no real appreciation for what I was watching, except to say that Jerry Orbach was fantastic as Julian Marsh.  (Lisa Brown, who played Peggy Sawyer, spent the entire day shooting 'The Guiding Light' soap, then performed on stage every night.)  We didnt have accesss to the old movies back in those days, and I had no idea there had ever been a 42'nd Street movie.  Though the stage show was based on the movie story, it incorporated songs from other movie musicals of the early 30's era.... 'Dames', 'Go Into Your Dance' and songs from the Gold Diggers films.  The other reason I mention this show is that I'd give anything to get my mom to one of the revivals currently playing.  She's in her 90's now and unable to travel, but in her younger days was quite a good tap dancer.  She wanted to join a dance troupe to entertain the soldiers during the second world war, but my grandfather thought his teenage daughter was a bit too young.  While there are no videos of the complete stage show, the CD is amazing, as you can hear all the taps being danced to the music.    

42nd Street was the first musical on Broadway proper I ever saw -- albeit in 1988, literally three weeks before it closed. The only thing that was notable to me -- and that I still remember to this day -- was the opening, when the curtain rose, stopping almost immediately so that all the audience was looking at were tap dancing feet. That blew me away.

There are a few other musicals that went from film to stage.  I think of Gigi, State Fair, Meet Me in St. Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins and most recently An American in Paris.  I've seen a few of these on stage, and I don't think any of the ones I've seen were as successful as 42nd Street in creating a stage version that was as good as the film.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

There are a few other musicals that went from film to stage.  I think of Gigi, State Fair, Meet Me in St. Louis, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, High Society, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins and most recently An American in Paris.  I've seen a few of these on stage, and I don't think any of the ones I've seen were as successful as 42nd Street in creating a stage version that was as good as the film.

I love all those movies but I've heard that they flopped for the most part on Broadway. The Lion King seems to be one of the exceptions to that rule, and maybe Beauty and the Beast.