Men You Love to Hate in the Movies!

31 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, MotherofZeus said:

I have a few:

Margaret Hamilton: The Wizard of Oz

Joan Crawford: The Women

Patty McCormack: Bad Seed

Margaret Wycherly: White Heat

With the possible exception of JOAN CRAWFORD,  ;)  I never thought of these others as MEN I love to hate in the movies.  :D

Sepiatone

Since there are several mentions of Charles Boyer in GASLIGHT....

I can't stand Boyer's screen persona: he's smarmy & smug and I don't find him attractive at all. The role in GASLIGHT fits him perfectly and I enjoy it, but avoid any other movie he's in just because his presence ruins it for me.

I feel the same way about Randolph Scott. Yuk.

Y'know TIKI, we're sort of on the same page here.

I preferred BOYER'S work at an older age.  His VICTOR VELASCO in "Barefoot In The Park" is one of my favorite movie characters, and Boyer does him excellently.  

As for Mr. Scott:   In Westerns, he always seemed to remind me of a VACUUM CLEANER SALESMAN playing "cowboy".  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 6/12/2018 at 7:34 AM, TikiSoo said:

Just finished seeing KISS OF DEATH '47 and the logical choice of charactor to hate is the one played by Richard Widmark:

IMG_2765.JPG

But I loved that charactor. He was so mean, so nasty but with that insipid grin you couldn't help being entertained by his bad maniacal attitude.

OTOH, I just loathed lumbering goof Victor Mature's charactor. He supposedly is a "reformed" criminal, who has had a change of heart while incarcerated due to his two young daughters left orphans after his wife's suicide. The jerk actually marries the girl's babysitter! And then further jeopardizes their lives by becoming an informant!
(I'm sorry but) Mature is also the uglies guy who ever starred in movies-his big pan has no expression aside from dopey bewilderment and he has the biggest, flattest rear end this side of George Brent-no amount of shoulder padding can help balance this guy's physique.

il_570xN.198585856.jpg

Just look at Widmark's expression-you always know he's trouble-no guessing involved. And his fit bantam size which is often camouflaged by camera angles actually heightens his menace.

kiss-of-death-richard-widmark.jpg

I love Widmark, it's easy to see why he captured everyone's attention when he hit the movies, even when playing a cold blooded gangster! But I much prefer those who show themselves clearly rather than those who try to hide their feelings with moody reserve or phony attempts at cleverness.

Tiki Soo, I love Widmark too. Saw that film at about age 12, and remember feeling badly that I was so enjoying seeing that maniacally laughing Widmark, pushing the poor old lady down the stairs in her wheelchair. Was it maybe Mildred Dunnock? I've always liked him to the extent some friend gave me as a present an autographed photo of Widmark which I love. And your expose of Mature's talents is right on. He is a bit of a dud, and while you mention all his male physical shortcomings, do you think his breasts make up for it? Wasn't it Groucho who said about one film ["Samson and Delilah"?] that it was the first time he'd seen a movie where the guy's breasts were bigger than the girl's? Uh, Groucho used another term though for the breasts. Thanks, Tiki Soo!

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 7:54 AM, Sepiatone said:

One man I hate in the movies is ADOLPHE MENJOU , regardless of the role.  Uh, but I think you mean something else, eh?  :(  Sorry........

I guess I'd pick (although I LOVED his performance as him in the movie) LEE J. COBB'S Johnny Friendly in ON THE WATERFRONT.  and he also gets a close 2nd for his character in 12 ANGRY MEN.

Sepiatone

He might have been hateable in films, but good old Adolph was quite the elegant dresser. He had his own tailor I believe to make him be in sartorial splendor...[sorry, Dargo... I mean, slendour] in all films. Thanks, Sepia!

I will add Richard Basehart in He Walked by Night. He played a brilliant, but psychotic killer in that one.

images.jpg