Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Men You Love to Hate in the Movies!

31 posts in this topic

Now for egalitarian purposes, you may include women too in this category,

For me, the quintessential villain in films, is Gustav von Seyffertitz since he was one of the earliest precursors for this type of role. Now of course Erich von Stroheim was good at this typecasting also, but he never was in a film torturing someone like poor little Mary Pickford, as Gustav was in "Sparrows", directed by the infamous, One Shot Beaudine to perfection. 

I would guess that good old Gustav, a native of Bavaria, was the inspiration for a lot of seemingly nasty old men in films like Claude Gillingwater, but the difference was that Claude would usually repent and love those little brats he had been mean to like Shirley Temple, but you knew with Gustav that he was totally intransigent to any reforming or cooling off of his most hateful temperament. Thank goodness, a villain who stayed villainous throughout the whole movie.

Not only was Gustav just diabolically evil in spirit, he also looked the part and had a face that appeared to be carved out of rock, with little expression. Tall, spindly, and spider-like, even hearing his name brings chills to my spine! If his real name had been Robert Jones, I think something would have been taken away from his ghastly persona.

So name a movie villain who is just so horrid that you enjoy hating him or her, due to their extreme talent at depicting such roles with their inherent talents. 

Robert Mitchum in THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  He plays evil so convincingly by scaring the children..  He should have received an OSCAR nomination.  However, the acedamy frowned upon rewarding such evil characterizations on screen.

• Like 3

This guy...

George-macready-trailer.jpg

...George Macready, and especially in his role in this film, Paths of Glory.

With his precise diction delivered in that "smoky" voice of his, and most often suggesting a cool insidiousness in his demeanor with ulterior intents, Macready was probably as good as anybody ever was in playing the villain. 

(...did the guy ever play the likable sort in a movie?...I think I remember one instance, but I can't remember in which film that might've been)

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

This guy...

With his precise diction delivered in that "smoky" voice of his, and most often suggesting a cool insidiousness in his demeanor with ulterior intents, Macready was probably as good as anybody ever was in playing the villain. 

(...did the guy ever play the likable sort in a movie?...I think I remember one instance, but I can't remember in which film that might've been)

Oh I really LOATHED his character in PATHS OF GLORY. He is the one who should have ended up facing a firing squad. But kudos to Macready for playing such an odious character so convincingly and brilliantly

He does play a somewhat likable (if stubborn) guy in SEVEN DAYS IN MAY as one of the President's advisors. Though he is quite skeptical of the plot at first he does eventually come to believe in it.

I also concur with Robert Mitchum, not only for THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, but also 1962's CAPE FEAR. The way he managed to twist the law in his favor and continually terrorize the helpless Gregory Peck and his family is so bone-narrowing chilling.

I also loved to really hate Commodus in GLADIATOR. What a piece of work that guy was. Probably the most satisfying in the movie was (SPOILER ALERT) Maximus digging Commodus' own knife into Commodus' throat.

Crassus (Laurence Olivier) in SPARTACUS, was also a loathsome piece of you-know-what. Sorry we didn't get to see him get the same kind of comeuppance as Commodus. But on the other hand (SPOILERS again), the viewers can take some satisfaction knowing that Varinia managed to slip through his fingers thanks to Gracchus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Oh I really LOATHED his character in PATHS OF GLORY. He is the one who should have ended up facing a firing squad. But kudos to Macready for playing such an odious character so convincingly and brilliantly

He does play a somewhat likable (if stubborn) guy in SEVEN DAYS IN MAY as one of the President's advisors. Though he is quite skeptical of the plot at first he does eventually come to believe in it.

I also concur with Robert Mitchum, not only for THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, but also 1962's CAPE FEAR. The way he managed to twist the law in his favor and continually terrorize the helpless Gregory Peck and his family is so bone-narrowing chilling.

I also loved to really hate Commodus in GLADIATOR. What a piece of work that guy was. Probably the most satisfying in the movie was (SPOILER ALERT) Maximus digging Commodus' own knife into Commodus' throat.

Crassus (Laurence Olivier) in SPARTACUS, was also a loathsome piece of you-know-what. Sorry we didn't get to see him get the same kind of comeuppance as Commodus. But on the other hand (SPOILERS again), the viewers can take some satisfaction knowing that Varinia managed to slip through his fingers thanks to Gracchus.

Thanks, Beth. Yeah, that would be a case of Macready playing a character who is not the despicable sort.

(...well, unless I suppose you happen to be one of those who would have liked to have seen Lancaster's character succeed in his coup d'etat anyway, huh...and coincidentally, I happen to know of a guy around here who often voices this very lament whenever the topic of this movie comes up) ;)  

George Macready played a minister, a representative of Christian values, in ALIAS NICK BEAL, as opposed to the Luciferian influence of Ray Milland. Milland feels noticeably uncomfortable whenever Macready is in the room. Macready's not exactly likeable in this role, pretty much the same cold fish he is when playing a villain. Maybe that's why he doesn't make a big impression in Nick Beal. Still, he's no villain in this film, as he represents the forces of "good."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

George Macready played William MacCombs, Woodrow Wilson's campaign manager at the 1912 convention in Wilson. A small role, but likable. Fun to see the man who would become Ballin Mundson a few years later prancing around the convention floor!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paul Meurisse was a real SOB in DIABOLIQUE.

• Like 2

Basil Rathbone in his array of costume villains during the mid to late '30s.

One of his most hateful portrayals was as the cold, sadistic Mr. Murdstone in David Copperfield. The scene in which he whips David is a particular highlight (or low light) of screen cruelty. There is a closeup of Rathbone as he delights in making the boy tremble with fear before beating him.

"Do you know what I do when I have an obstinate horse, David? I beat him! I make him smart and whimper."

There is a memorable closeup of Rathbone as he delivers this line of dialogue, with a tight, barely suppressed smile coming to his thin, cold lips.

b08ca1f657614a5efad5cedcd32f0283.jpg

Of course, there would also be Rathbone's unforgettable swashbuckling heavies, as well, with Guy of Gisbourne in Robin Hood and Esteban Pasquale, a macho, strutting soldier of fortune, in The Mark of Zorro magnificent roles for an actor who dominated the screen every much as did the romantic heroes of those films.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, Dargo said:

This guy...

Oh, Georgie-poo is so wonderful and maybe the inspiration for my attraction to men with facial scars. I have it on good authority [an old movie magazine I bought at a flea market!] that Macready was a very nice man in his other off stage life and well liked, and quite the intellectual and art collector. Thanks for mentioning him, Dargo!

18 hours ago, TomJH said:

Basil Rathbone in his array of costume villains during the mid to late '30s.

One of his most hateful portrayals was as the cold, sadistic Mr. Murdstone in David Copperfield. The scene in which he whips David is a particular highlight (or low light) of screen cruelty. There is a closeup of Rathbone as he delights in making the boy tremble with fear before beating him.

"Do you know what I do when I have an obstinate horse, David? I beat him! I make him smart and whimper."

There is a memorable closeup of Rathbone as he delivers this line of dialogue, with a tight, barely suppressed smile coming to his thin, cold lips.

b08ca1f657614a5efad5cedcd32f0283.jpg

Of course, there would also be Rathbone's unforgettable swashbuckling heavies, as well, with Guy of Gisbourne in Robin Hood and Esteban Pasquale, a macho, strutting soldier of fortune, in The Mark of Zorro magnificent roles for an actor who dominated the screen every much as did the romantic heroes of those films.

Basil was a real pain as Murdstone, which is why seeing him get told off by Edna May Oliver is so fabulous!

Just finished seeing KISS OF DEATH '47 and the logical choice of charactor to hate is the one played by Richard Widmark:

IMG_2765.JPG

But I loved that charactor. He was so mean, so nasty but with that insipid grin you couldn't help being entertained by his bad maniacal attitude.

OTOH, I just loathed lumbering goof Victor Mature's charactor. He supposedly is a "reformed" criminal, who has had a change of heart while incarcerated due to his two young daughters left orphans after his wife's suicide. The jerk actually marries the girl's babysitter! And then further jeopardizes their lives by becoming an informant!
(I'm sorry but) Mature is also the uglies guy who ever starred in movies-his big pan has no expression aside from dopey bewilderment and he has the biggest, flattest rear end this side of George Brent-no amount of shoulder padding can help balance this guy's physique.

il_570xN.198585856.jpg

Just look at Widmark's expression-you always know he's trouble-no guessing involved. And his fit bantam size which is often camouflaged by camera angles actually heightens his menace.

kiss-of-death-richard-widmark.jpg

I love Widmark, it's easy to see why he captured everyone's attention when he hit the movies, even when playing a cold blooded gangster! But I much prefer those who show themselves clearly rather than those who try to hide their feelings with moody reserve or phony attempts at cleverness.

• Like 1

One man I hate in the movies is ADOLPHE MENJOU , regardless of the role.  Uh, but I think you mean something else, eh?  :(  Sorry........

I guess I'd pick (although I LOVED his performance as him in the movie) LEE J. COBB'S Johnny Friendly in ON THE WATERFRONT.  and he also gets a close 2nd for his character in 12 ANGRY MEN.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I always thought Neville Brand was a great villain Especially when he appeared in Westerns. It's interesting that my favorite villain  of all time  was actually played by two people. The body of David Prowse and the voice of James Earl Jones created Lord Darth Vader.

Basil Rathbone in ANNA KARENINA is so cruel to Greta Garbo.  I just hate him in that movie.  He's also pretty despicable in TOWER OF LONDON although quite fiendishly entertaining.  This flick needs to be on TCM again; it's got Basil, Boris & Vincent.  Horror heaven.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Basil Rathbone in ANNA KARENINA is so cruel to Greta Garbo.  I just hate him in that movie.  He's also pretty despicable in TOWER OF LONDON although quite fiendishly entertaining.  This flick needs to be on TCM again; it's got Basil, Boris & Vincent.  Horror heaven.

They were also in 1964's THE COMEDY OF TERRORS. While there may have been some 'hamming' it up there, particularly by Vincent, I don't think it was overdone by any means. It is quite an enjoyable romp.

Vincent plays a not-so-nice hubby and undertaker in there as well. The end is quite amusing too.

From the time I first saw THE COMEDY OF TERRORS, when I was just a teenager, it's been one of my favorite "just for fun" films. To see Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone and Peter Lorre all in the same film, a comedy no less, makes me feel good every time I watch it. Sure they're hamming it up, but I'll bet they were having a grand time doing it. It's not exactly Oscar material, but at least for me it's great fun.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2018 at 12:52 PM, arpirose said:

Robert Mitchum in THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.  He plays evil so convincingly by scaring the children..  He should have received an OSCAR nomination.  However, the acedamy frowned upon rewarding such evil characterizations on screen.

You just went to the bullseye of "love to hate" characters as performed by.  This is it!

I have a few:

Charles Boyer: Gaslight

Orson Welles: Touch of Evil

George Macready: Gilda

Henry Fonda: Once Upon a Time in the West

Margaret Hamilton: The Wizard of Oz

Anthony Hopkins: Silence of the Lambs

Joan Crawford: The Women

Patty McCormack: Bad Seed

Margaret Wycherly: White Heat

Lionel Barrymore: It's a Wonderful Life

Humphrey Bogart: The Roaring Twenties

Sir Alec Guiness: Bridge on the River Kwai

Ray Milland: Dial M for Murder

but my money goes to one already stated that has to be my list topper as well: Mitchem in Night of the Hunter

7 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

I have a few:

Charles Boyer: Gaslight

Orson Welles: Touch of Evil

George Macready: Gilda

Henry Fonda: Once Upon a Time in the West

Margaret Hamilton: The Wizard of Oz

Anthony Hopkins: Silence of the Lambs

Joan Crawford: The Women

Patty McCormack: Bad Seed

Margaret Wycherly: White Heat

Lionel Barrymore: It's a Wonderful Life

Humphrey Bogart: The Roaring Twenties

Sir Alec Guiness: Bridge on the River Kwai

Ray Milland: Dial M for Murder

but my money goes to one already stated that has to be my list topper as well: Mitchem in Night of the Hunter

I forgot  

Burt Lancaster: Sweet Smell of Success 

Ernest Borgnine: From Here to Eternity

Daniel Day Lewis: Gangs of New York OR There Will Be Blood

Javier Bardem: No Country for Old Men

Anne Baxter: All About Eve

Sooooo many more that I love to hate, but there is still no love for Mitchum in Night of the Hunter. None. Just terror.

3 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

I forgot  

Burt Lancaster: Sweet Smell of Success 

Ernest Borgnine: From Here to Eternity

Daniel Day Lewis: Gangs of New York OR There Will Be Blood

Javier Bardem: No Country for Old Men

Anne Baxter: All About Eve

Sooooo many more that I love to hate, but there is still no love for Mitchum in Night of the Hunter. None. Just terror.

I dig them all, MOZ mostly because I dig arsenic cookies!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I dig them all, MOZ mostly because I dig arsenic cookies!

Actually, in responding to a different post just now, I have to add Christopher Lloyd for Who Framed Rodger Rabbit. That's some great evil there as well. "Remember me, Eddie?

"giphy-downsized.gif

• Thanks 1