Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Why do you love movies?

18 posts in this topic

There are no right answers to this question obviously.

For me, everything ever put on film is of interest because it is a document of a time, real or unreal. Just as Proust in "Remembrance of Things Past" was able to access memories, many of us have a desire to relive some past events. I think his original title "In Search of Lost Time" is a more complete explanation of the quest for regaining something lost or never seen to begin with, and for that reason, all and any filmed matter is of interest to me. Unfortunately for Proust only the madeleines and other scents were available to return to past times.

Now some may say, surely you are not interested in watching an old 8mm film of some kid's Bar Mitzvah, but yes, I am. I remember seeing Robert Klein once bring old film of his own to some talk show and it was kind of fascinating. But of course, he is famous, so that might be different. But I would watch anyone's such footage at least for a bit, since...this is time gone that will never be experienced again by anyone. This is a way to visit the past, and relive life. It is almost like entering a time warp and we are the luckiest people to be able to experience it. Wouldn't it be great if films were available during Rembrandt's time and we could see him painting a masterpiece or just hanging out with his cronies. I'd like to have seen Lincoln giving the Gettysburg Address and if it were in color that would even be better. Am I comparing seeing someone's mother opening her Christmas gifst from 1954 in importance to Lincoln giving a speech? No, but the concept of time travelling back to an earlier time is still the same with the same joy. So this is why my initial reason for liking anything on film, is to visit the past, then it moves on to seeing special things emblazoned on a screen to be enjoyed over and over again, like Fred Astaire dancing, Giulietta Masina playing her trumpet or Chaplin doing the dance of the rolls. I like highbrow art, lowbrow art and even some middlebrow art in films, though we all know that lowbrow and highbrow can switch places, and influence each other due to being the most original but middlebrow always remains the same. It is of the masses, but still represents something worth seeing occasionally.

So this is why I love movies, of almost anything, since it gives me a chance to really experience things that my parents, grandparents and great grandparents got to, and without movies I would never have seen Harry Houdini, or Charley Chase or Mae Marsh. But why do you love movies, is the question. Please respond in essay form and with substantial backing information.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Here's the abstract version of my essay (with annotated sources) about why I love movies:

I love movies, especially classic film, because they serve as a form of escapism.  I can get lost in the Sherwood Forest, 1920s Hollywood, a murder mystery in New York, whatever the case may be.  Classic Hollywood actors have such defined personas, that it makes it hard to envision anyone else in the role.  Humphrey Bogart might be the epitome of the hardened detective.  Cary Grant represents the upper crust sophisticate.  Rosalind Russell is the wiseacre working girl.  Many of today's actors and actresses are so interchangeable, it's hard to get lost in one of their performances.  Classic film serves as a time machine into eras that I didn't directly experience.  As someone born in the mid-80s, there is a lot of history that I didn't get a chance to see.  I was not alive when the Golden Era actors and actresses were in their heyday.  It's fun to see what people's homes, wardrobes, cars, etc. were used back then.  Even if the Great Depression era films were romanticized versions of people's lives, the homes and wardrobes are so over-the-top that it's fun to see how people may have wanted to live back then. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I take it we were trying a little hard this week, CG...  ;)

But it always starts with the theater you first started seeing them in--If you're comparatively new around here, should probably check out some of the blog essays I'd done on the great theaters of my Wonder-Years:

http://movieactivist.blogspot.com/2016/07/july-25-2016-theater-roots-pt.html

What do kids have to remember today?:  "Oh, man, I remember when I first saw Infinity War at the Bayview Shopping Mall AMC 12!"? 

Simply put, and while the general tone of a film doesn't have to be "inspirational", because a truly well told and visually enticing tale which might in some small way help illuminate the human condition for me, can often reignite my sometimes waning faith in humanity.

(...that's why, CG...well, that's why for the most part I'd say, anyway)

• Like 1

I'm not really certain if I can get it all into words, let alone essay form, but I'll try.

As far back as I can remember, I remember loving the movies. It started back when I was a small child, and it has just grown and has deepened since then. There is just a certain thrill to a really great film, the pure joy of seeing something that touches you in the deepest ways possible. And then you also have many others that, although not masterpieces, are good, strong films in their own right, be they enlightening or just entertaining. The films I tend to prefer are  firstly, classics and, secondly, among more recent films, ones that, with a few exceptions here and there, rely far more on character than special effects.

See, in a way, a character-driven film is kind of like a window into the soul of another, a lession in empathy in warmer films, or very shocking indeed in dark dramas, thrillers, and noirs. For a little time, you get to know these characters and you get to understand them, and the films transport you to another place and/or another time.

And then you also have the stars, writers, and directors, who are all unique in their talents and you get so very fond or so many of them. 

In short, I guess what I am trying to get at is that the movies have a lilting magic all their own, a way that helps to see the world differently, a way to connect. That is an invaluable gift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

But it always starts with the theater you first started seeing them in--If you're comparatively new around here, should probably check out some of the blog essays I'd done on the great theaters of my Wonder-Years:

What do kids have to remember today?:  "Oh, man, I remember when I first saw Infinity War at the Bayview Shopping Mall AMC 12!"? 

:(

even sadder.....

"Man!  When I think of the "good old days"...sitting in the darkened room, my SAMSUNG GALAXY s-6 propped up on the coffee table with my favorite flick being streamed...."   :D  

Sepiatone

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

Yes, I am very new here and just a neophyte about films and theatres too, Eric. I apologize if I have exceeded the limit of how many posts I am allowed to make. I'd be happy if you would just tell me the number so I don't violate it again.

Thank you for your blog information!

On 6/11/2018 at 9:47 AM, CaveGirl said:

Yes, I am very new here and just a neophyte about films and theatres too, Eric. I apologize if I have exceeded the limit of how many posts I am allowed to make. I'd be happy if you would just tell me the number so I don't violate it again.

Thank you for your blog information!

If all your posts are like this one, please don’t hold back. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Because of all the female nudity in moves, of course. :D

Gotta say here CJ, because I occasionally click on your terrific Noir blog and read through it, I know you're only half kidding here, dude! ;)

25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Gotta say here CJ, because I occasionally click on your terrific Noir blog and read through it, I know you're only half kidding here, dude! ;)

Actually now that you got me thinking about it, the female nudity in the 60-70s was "natural" female nudity, I guess I get nostalgic for what real women looked like, know what I mean, Dargo, (here I'd be wagging my cigar like Groucho), wink, wink, not these plastic surgery enhanced prebubescent looking stringbeans. :D

Where else are we gonna get a dose of reality.

• Like 1

PS Dargo, I noticed you didn't comment on N*i*p*s Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman post. I thought I'd hear from you on that one. 

You can just imagine a remake, a fifty foot nude woman running around. All the guys, soldiers, police, firemen, etc., etc. would all be standing around with their mouths hanging open, just stunned, babbleing like idots. Female Power!!!! It would be a riot. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

PS Dargo, I noticed you didn't comment on N*i*p*s Attack Of The Fifty Foot Woman post. I thought I'd hear from you on that one. 

You can just imagine a remake, a fifty foot nude woman running around. All the guys, soldiers, police, firemen, etc., etc. would all be standing around with their mouths hanging open, just stunned, babbleing like idots. Female Power!!!! It would be a riot. 

LOL

Yep, CG!

(...however, and considering its various definitions, I do believe you missed the opportunity to use the word "gaping" in your above suggested movie treatise) ;)

• Like 1

It's all about the cotton candy.  I began going to the movies using cotton candy to smuggle drugs and ended up using cotton candy to smuggle spinach linguini.

I personally love movies because they are a great way to pass the time. If I have some extra time during the week after work, I like to relax and unwind by watching a movie. I also think they are a great way to cheer me up. If I am in a grumpy mood, it is a sure thing that I will be cheered up within minutes if I decide to watch something (particularly a movie musical or some kind of comedy from almost any decade). 

Thirdly, as an actress myself, I enjoy movies because they help me learn more about acting/performing. It can be inspiring to watch somebody on stage or screen. 

• Like 1