Sign in to follow this  
MotherofZeus

Ocean's Eight: Discussions of Sequels, Remakes, Etc.

3 posts in this topic

I plan to go see Ocean's Eight.  I'm looking forward to it.  I enjoyed the first remake of Ocean's 11 and enjoyed the original (being born and raised there almost requires me to be a Rat Pack aficionado). After watching what happened to the Ghostbusters remake (which I saw and liked - not as much as the original but that was lightening in a bottle). Some say it is a gender thing that was wrong with the Ghostbusters.

Which movie franchises do you like? Which remakes do you like? Why?

34 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

I plan to go see Ocean's Eight.  I'm looking forward to it.  I enjoyed the first remake of Ocean's 11 and enjoyed the original (being born and raised there almost requires me to be a Rat Pack aficionado). After watching what happened to the Ghostbusters remake (which I saw and liked - not as much as the original but that was lightening in a bottle). Some say it is a gender thing that was wrong with the Ghostbusters.

Which movie franchises do you like? Which remakes do you like? Why?

Ghostbusters (2016) wasn't bad because of the gender of the stars. All four women are very talented and have been very funny in other things. Some viewers brought a chip on their shoulder, and were never going to like the movie, and some are just not fans of the distinct comedic styles of one or more of the women, all four of whom can be divisive. The problem with the 2016 movie was the script and the direction. It could never decide if it wanted to be a funny movie or summer FX spectacular, and in the end it failed at being either. As you say, the 1984 film managed to get the balance right, which is very difficult.

I'm dubious about Ocean's 8. Again, the gender thing isn't an issue, but it's a little cringeworthy that they had to make the heist around a fashion event, which is a bit of gender stereotype pandering. I'm a big fan of Cate Blanchett, I like Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, and Helena Bonham Carter, I have liked Anne Hathaway and Sandra Bullock in some things and not others, I'm not crazy about Rihanna, and I don't know much of anything about Awkwafina other than she has a terrible stage name. The presence of the insufferable James Corden also doesn't do the movie any favors. Having seen the trailer for Widows coming out later this year, that film is the female-driven crime picture I'm looking forward to. And it's a remake, too.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Ghostbusters (2016) wasn't bad because of the gender of the stars. All four women are very talented and have been very funny in other things. Some viewers brought a chip on their shoulder, and were never going to like the movie, and some are just not fans of the distinct comedic styles of one or more of the women, all four of whom can be divisive. The problem with the 2016 movie was the script and the direction. It could never decide if it wanted to be a funny movie or summer FX spectacular, and in the end it failed at being either. As you say, the 1984 film managed to get the balance right, which is very difficult.

I'm dubious about Ocean's 8. Again, the gender thing isn't an issue, but it's a little cringeworthy that they had to make the heist around a fashion event, which is a bit of gender stereotype pandering. I'm a big fan of Cate Blanchett, I like Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling, and Helena Bonham Carter, I have liked Anne Hathaway and Sandra Bullock in some things and not others, I'm not crazy about Rihanna, and I don't know much of anything about Awkwafina other than she has a terrible stage name. The presence of the insufferable James Corden also doesn't do the movie any favors. Having seen the trailer for Widows coming out later this year, that film is the female-driven crime picture I'm looking forward to. And it's a remake, too.

Great points all.  I plan to see Ocean's Eight to keep appraised of the "franchise" but agree with the concerns and the appreciation and concern over the very same cast members you outline. I also agree Ghostbusters remake was not well directed but didn't deserve the hate it got.