Tomilee

Week 2 1940s Movies to DVR

13 posts in this topic

Aside from the class recommendations of Cabin in the Sky, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Meet Me in St. Louis, Holiday Inn -- What additional movies should I DVR? Someone said Gene Kelly is dancing in shorts in The Pirate. But I'm also am thinking of Easter Parade, or Take Me Out to the Ballgame or Rhapsody in Blue.  -- What do you all recommend? What is your top 5 from this list?796899843_TCMWeek2.thumb.jpg.959653b680dd21ccad1bfc32dd3aaf4d.jpg

The Pirate is one of my favorite movies of all time.  It has an intelligent script with twists and turns as each character learns more about what is going on.  Cole Porter's music is lovely and witty (By the CAR-ib-BE-an or Car-RIB-be-an Sea).  In addition Judy and Gene, the supporting cast features Walter Slezak and Gladys Cooper.  And to top it all off, you get Gene Kelly dancing with the Nicholas Brothers.

Easter Parade is another favorite, and you can't go wrong with Meet Me in St. LouisTake Me Out to the Ball Game is a hoot -- Esther Williams becomes the owner of a baseball team.  You Were Never Lovelier features the amazing dancing of Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth. 

I do wish that they were screening Cover Girl, but there are a lot of gems in the line-up as it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Harvey Girls, Easter Parade, Meet Me in St. Louis, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Hollywood Canteen are my personal picks. I actually have Yankee Doodle Dandy on DVR from when it aired previously.

I had Hollywood Canteen but deleted it to make room for some other things, so I'm glad to have a chance to see it again. It's a "fun" movie with cameos from just about every major star in Hollywood at the time. One of my favorite lines is where one of the stars (sorry, I can't remember who now) is serving meals to the servicemen, and one of the guys says "You used to be really big, but now you're having to sling hash." or something along those lines.

• Like 2

Yes, Tomilee

Gene is dancing in a pirate outfit.  You really get to see how in shape this man stayed.  Impressive.  Gene Kelly is my favorite dancer.  I never get tired of studying his dancing. 

This week is full of great films. I'm glad my DVR can hold a good 70 films.  I cleaned it up a good bit before the course started, and I'm glad I did. 

• Like 2

On the Town is a must for me. It's the first film to feature musical numbers shot on location -- and the performances are fun (especially Jules Munshin, Betty Garrett, and Alice Pearce.) Plus it's Kelly AND Sinatra. It's a hellava film 😉

• Like 3

“My Dream is Yours”. I love Doris Day in her early Warner Bros. years. That lovely face is radiant in Technicolor and her voice is so creamy and beautiful. If you don’t know her from the late 40s, check this out. She’s adorable and WB put their best foot forward for her with directors like Michael Curtiz, among others. “Romance on the High Seas” is a delight too if you run across it.

• Like 1

If I were you I'd DVR "Holiday Inn".  It may not be the best on the list (although I think it's certainly one of the top five on your list). No, I'd record it simply to save it for viewing around Christmastime since TCM rarely shows it then, which is when you'd expect them to air it.

Ran into this poor programming the past couple of holiday seasons, and I learned my lesson.  When they finally did air it a couple months later,  I recorded it then for posterity. Don't get me wrong, it's worth viewing any time of year if for nothing else but to see Astaire dance around exploding firecrackers, but I personally enjoy it a bit more around Christmas. 

• Like 2

its also good at Thanksgiving, Lincoln’s Birthday, Fourth of July, New Year’s day, ...

• Haha 3

I like "Good News."  Campus musical with some highlights such as the "The French Lesson" and "Pass the Peace Pipe" (dated lyrics, but Joan McCracken is fun to watch).

• Like 1

Tuesday, June 12

1. For Me and My Gal (Gene Kelly's first film)

2. On the Town

3. The Pirate

4. Easter Parade

5. Meet Me in St. Louis

I also have to throw The Harvey Girls and Words and Music into the ring.  Words and Music isn't particularly that great, but Gene Kelly and Vera-Ellen's "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" routine is amazing.  

Thursday, June 14

1. You Were Never Lovelier (Fred Astaire & Rita Hayworth make a great team).  This film isn't scheduled, but Astaire and Hayworth's other collaboration, You'll Never Get Rich, is also worth watching.

2. Holiday Inn

3. Moon Over Miami

4. Anchors Aweigh (This film has Gene's famous dance with Jerry the Mouse). 

5. Bathing Beauty (If only to see one of Esther Williams' famous swimming routines.  This film is her first.  Williams is a bit stiff as an actress, but her underwater ballets are fun to watch). 

• Like 1

If you have a subscription to Filmstruck, they have a considerable amount of Tuesday's films showing this week.  They currently have the following collections ready to view: The Brilliance of Busby Berkeley (including Strike Up The Band, For Me and My Gal and Take Me Out To The Ball Game), Directed by Vincente Minnelli (including Cabin In The Sky, Meet Me In St Louis and The Pirate) and Star of The Week: Gene Kelly (including On The Town).  You can also find Easter Parade on Filmstruck as well.  You'll find several of the selections from the 19th of June on Filmstruck as well. 

I mention this in case there are subscribers out there who, like me, can't necessarily fit 12 movies in their crazy schedules on Tuesdays and Thursdays but who want to see as many as possible during the week we are studying the 1940s, then the the '50s, etc.

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with any of the class recommendations that's for sure.

Personally I would choose Best Foot Forward, such a fun movie that doesn't take itself so seriously. And it's fun seeing Lucille Ball before her I Love Lucy days. I would also suggest For Me and My Gal, The Harvey Girls, Take Me out the Ball Game, and Good News. 

As for Thursday I would recommend Bathing Beauty to see Esther Williams at her best, granted her acting isn't the greatest but those water ballets are fun to watch. I would also suggest Moon Over Miami, its such a cute movie and probably my favorite Betty Grable film. I know TCM doesn't have direct access to the Fox library but I'm slightly disappointed more Fox musicals aren't featured. A lot of their musicals from that period dealt with the Good Neighbor Policy and South America. 

• Like 1