Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Astounding things people can do in the movies that can't be done in real life!

25 posts in this topic

Flattening themselves against a wall makes them unnoticed by others walking by!

Moving gingerly allows them to open doors, windows, and drawers without a detectable noise to anyone nearby--even if they aren't asleep!

They can light up an entire room--with a candle!

Those films where the hero dodges countless bullets and don't get hurt.

• Like 1

2 problems with "The Manhattan Project" (1986)

Building and carrying a plutonium device without shielding.  Never mind lead, use Plexiglass. :wacko: Kid should have glowed like a Cyalume.

Committing ANY form of nuclear terrorism and think the government is going to let you walk out the door. Dr. John Mathewson (John Lithgow) was correct about locking one up and throwing the room away.

manhattanproject_2752.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Those films where the hero dodges countless bullets and don't get hurt.

That was my next one!

11 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

fly like superman!

:)

Great one!  But ol' superdude isn't an Earthie, he a Kryptonian.  They're like the inverse of us.  So you'd need a thread along the lines of 'mundane things Kryptonies do in the movies they don't in real life *yawn*.

They can knock someone out with a sock to the jaw without breaking their hands, or even hurting them!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Great one!  But ol' superdude isn't an Earthie, he a Kryptonite (Kryptoner?).  They're like the inverse of us.  So you'd need a thread along the lines of 'mundane things Kryptonies do in the movies they don't in real life *yawn*.

At the risk of revealing my comic book geekdom, Superman is a Kryptonian! Kryptonite is the stuff that can kill him.

A less visually dramatic, but no less impressive, superpower people in the movies have is, when they want to visit a place of business on a crowded city street, they just drive up to the building and park right in front of the front door at the curb. No one in the movies ever has to go find a paid lot or park two blocks over and walk.

38 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

At the risk of revealing my comic book geekdom, Superman is a Kryptonian! Kryptonite is the stuff that can kill him.

Thanks!  I've edited my post!

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

A less visually dramatic, but no less impressive, superpower people in the movies have is, when they want to visit a place of business on a crowded city street, they just drive up to the building and park right in front of the front door at the curb. No one in the movies ever has to go find a paid lot or park two blocks over and walk.

Pieces of green rock travel millions of light years within the short time Superman'.s arrival craft crash lands. :huh:

Time Travel.

(...and neither by some inventive contraption or by a knock on the noggin)

3 hours ago, slaytonf said:

They can knock someone out with a sock to the jaw without breaking their hands, or even hurting them!

...and quite often not draw a drop of blood.

18 minutes ago, laffite said:

...and quite often not draw a drop of blood.

Bloodless gunshot wounds..

LITTLE%20CAESAR.jpg?itok=Gv4pakDr

...and bulletproof china. :lol:

• Thanks 1

Speaking of blood, have never understood so little of it going down the drain in that iconic shower scene we all either love or hate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laffite said:

Speaking of blood, have never understood so little of it going down the drain in that iconic shower scene we all either love or hate.

;)

Could be that Hitch only had ONE can of HERSHEY'S SYRUP on hand.  :D 

And I've mentioned this one before....

the ability to drive a car HUNDREDS of yards down a road without watching where they're going while having a conversation with the person sitting next to them.

...The ability to play chord changes on a guitar WITHOUT moving their hands and fingers on the fretboard.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Immediately catching a cab in any city!

Another one but this is from tv, that always irked me is that on "Friends" those lousy friends, no matter what day or time of day, always...ALWAYS, got the best seats in the coffee joint, and were hogging that front couch. They would walk in, the place would look crowded yet amazingly, the couch was always available for them to lounge on, and even the adjacent chairs were always available. Now how is that possible?  Sheesh, what a joke!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

...The ability to play chord changes on a guitar WITHOUT moving their hands and fingers on the fretboard.

Sepiatone

Eeh! I've seen Elvis do that MANY a time in a lot of movies HE starred in, Sepia!

Are you tryin' to tell me here that ELVIS wasn't really playing that there six-stringer he was a'strummin', DUDE?!

Naaah, I can't believe this!

(...naaah, NOT Elvis!!!) 

;)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MotherofZeus said:

Running in stilettos. Oh....and having manicured nails amidst action adventure mayhem.

Well MoZ, leave it to those crazy Ruskies over there to disprove conventional wisdom ;) ...

(...among of course, other and sundry little endeavors)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well MoZ, leave it to those crazy Ruskies over there to disprove conventional wisdom ;) ...

(...among of course, other and sundry little endeavors)

Ouch!

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Clearly, I sand corrected.  But do we think the action sequences with weapons are plausible?  I'm raising the bar for you.

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

Eeh! I've seen Elvis do that MANY a time in a lot of movies HE starred in, Sepia!

Are you tryin' to tell me here that ELVIS wasn't really playing that there six-stringer he was a'strummin', DUDE?!

Naaah, I can't believe this!

(...naaah, NOT Elvis!!!) 

;)

Y'know, the only movie he made(that I saw) in which it DOES look like he's making all the right "hand changes" and possibly really playing along is an early scene in FOLLOW THAT DREAM. 

Me and a few of my buddies used to make fun of some of those Elvis flicks.  Like, Elvis could be walking through the desert, hair perfectly in place despite supposedly dying of thirst, and then from out of nowhere, a BAND strikes up, and Elvis reaches behind a saguaro cactus and pulls out a (at the time) $600 GIBSON "DOVE" guitar and sings with reverberation as well!  And also all the while NOT moving his hands while "playing" that guitar!  ;)

Oh, and add to the list, in keeping with the thread, people being able to WAKE UP in the morning with NOT A HAIR out of place, AND "fresh as a daisy" breath!

Sepiatone

On 6/10/2018 at 10:45 PM, hamradio said:

Pieces of green rock travel millions of light years within the short time Superman'.s arrival craft crash lands. :huh:

Well, there have been many different explanations for that over the years. I can't say how they're explaining it now, but at least one of the explanations when I was a kid was that they traveled through the same hyper-warp that brought baby Kal-El's rocketship to Earth.