Dr. Vanessa Theme Ament

DAILY DOSE OF DELIGHT #5 (From Yankee Doodle Dandy)

277 posts in this topic

This scene promoted American values and spirit of the country.  Patriotism shown at the White House.  The medal was presented not only for Mr. Cohan's spirit but for the spirit he created in America with his songs.  The portraits of the former presidents and the view of the oval office just made kept me in mind of how proud he made us feel about our country.  We all need reminding of how this country came to be and this opening gets us started in the right direction.  President Roosevelt tells Mr. Cohan that though he didn't fight in the war, he more that gave.  He gave us the songs that had people in the parade scene singing outloud with pride.

2.      I thought when George started talking to the president and the president said how George “was his double” and commented on how he admired that the Irish Americans “carry your love of the country like a flag; right out in the open.”  Then George responded by telling the President how his father “ran away to the civil war”.  The President surmised George’s attitude toward this country by saying “you spent your life telling the other 47 states what a great country this is”.

3.     The opening with the Oval Office brought us in to feel what it would be like to have been in George's shoes.

I feel this film would be have definitely been different if it did not open in the Oval Office because who would George have been talking to at the Fourth of July parade? I don’t think he would have had been meeting with the President.  Who else but the President would have made George so proud that he would talk about his life and the love of his country? The opening worked very well using the Oval Office.